Atlanta parting ways with D. Hall? (1 Viewer)

I apoligize for over doing it after a re-read. I guess it was more of a post at the whole mentality of alot of people on this forum about corners relevance. One team wins a SB without corners and suddenly they've become partially irrelevant. I think in a man coverage scheme the difference between an average corner and an excellent one is huge, i can see it not being a big deal with zone corners though.

I just think that people on here want to figure out what's the most realistic way to improve the Saints defense. The more sensible route would seem to be upgrading the front 7, seeing as there is a lot of money tied up in the defensive line as it is. That's why I think you see many saying that defensive back shouldn't be the Saints' first priority in FA. And yeah, you're probably right. The Giants success has a lot to do with the fans' recent infatuation with the front 7.

"Sorry if I offended a former corner."

Nah current Lber. My mates an All-Aussie CB and its nice having him on my side of the feild, and frustrating when the other side gets pumped for chunks of yardage that no-one else has an affect on. But again i apoligize for quoting you in a non relevant manner, guess i just read parts of it the first time through.

Last edited:
I apoligize for over doing it after a re-read. I guess it was more of a post at the whole mentality of alot of people on this forum about corners relevance. One team wins a SB without corners and suddenly they've become partially irrelevant. I think in a man coverage scheme the difference between an average corner and an excellent one is huge, i can see it not being a big deal with zone corners though.

Corners aren't irrelevent. You just don't need to spend half your cap on them. Decent working class corners will get the job done everytime if you have a great front 7. That isn't just true this year with the Giants.

get a good front 7 and a great safety. Remember the dome patrol? who were the front 7 and who where the cb's ...

no further questions your honor.

Corners aren't irrelevent. You just don't need to spend half your cap on them. Decent working class corners will get the job done everytime if you have a great front 7. That isn't just true this year with the Giants.

I think the biggest difference in corners isn't between your shutdowns and your working classes, but between playmakers and the rest. The guy isn't just gunna be out there covering one receiver knocking the pass down all the time, my rationale for wanting hall is he can be the average guy we need in coverage, then hustle around the ball making plays too. I dont suggest we throw the bank at him, but didn't a poster earlier say he wanted to play for Payton specificaly? i could see that bringing his price down.

Just tossing this out there, our most valuable player on defense last year was arguably, a cornerback....M.M. How terrible would our defense have been without him?

Good discussion but much of a corner's value is tied to the particular system employed. In our system, we place MUCH pressure on corners. Our corners are often on an island an must excel in man coverage. How many long touchdowns were given up by J.D? How many were prevented by Mike Mckensie's outstanding man coverage skills?

Tampa, Indy and other teams that employ more cover 2 may view corners as somewhat interchangeable. Their role is to be fundamentally sound. If you just perform your role, the defense will leave the field. Corners are asked to do much more in our schemes. Therefore, we may be willing to spend a bit more on a corner, than say Tampa.

Just tossing this out there, our most valuable player on defense last year was arguably, a cornerback....M.M. How terrible would our defense have been without him?

Good discussion but much of a corner's value is tied to the particular system employed. In our system, we place MUCH pressure on corners. Our corners are often on an island an must excel in man coverage. How many long touchdowns were given up by J.D? How many were prevented by Mike Mckensie's outstanding man coverage skills?

Tampa, Indy and other teams that employ more cover 2 may view corners as somewhat interchangeable. Their role is to be fundamentally sound. If you just perform your role, the defense will leave the field. Corners are asked to do much more in our schemes. Therefore, we may be willing to spend a bit more on a corner, than say Tampa.

well you can't disagree with that.

get a good front 7 and a great safety. Remember the dome patrol? who were the front 7 and who where the cb's ...

no further questions your honor.

What about the Young led 49ers team that could not make it to the big game until the arrival of cornerback Deion Sanders, who effectively covered Harper and Mike Irvin in the championship game. Many 49ers state that it was Deion's play at the corner position that put them over the top.

I am not disagreeing with you regarding the importance of a good front 7, but just saying..

Getem'

Can anyone name a Championship team with 53 so called character guys, like Sean Payton says. I can't. So what Deangelo has an attitude. He' s not Pac Man or Tank Johnson. We need someone with a little nastiness, HAIL KYLE TURLEY!!!!!! vs. the Jets. I say GETEM' quick. Or do we want to depend on Fred Thomas and Jason David. A nasty player we let get away was Joey Porter, who wentto Miami our LB core would have been a little more solidified than it is now. But that's just an opinion, I've never issued out millions of dollars before.

Last edited:
Can anyone name a Championship team with 53 so called character guys, like Sean Payton says. I can't. So what Deangelo has an attitude. He' s not Pac Man or Tank Johnson. We need someone with a little nastiness, HAIL KYLE TURLEY!!!!!! vs. the Jets. I say GETEM' quick. Or do we want to depend on Fred Thomas and Jason David. A nasty player we let get away was Joey Porter, who wentto Miami our LB core would have been a little more solidified than it is now. But that's just an opinion, I've never issued out millions of dollars before.

Seriously, theres zero chance they trade him to us. We are their division rival. Its not going to happen.

new here. first post. hope it turns out ok

i'm not a big fan of d.hall, and would not give up the #10 for him. I would give a 2nd rounder and a player or something though........

on the other hand, we have to do something. no way can we take the field with young,jd,bullocks,and harper as the secondary. not knocking all of them, but that as a whole scares me

Seriously, theres zero chance they trade him to us. We are their division rival. Its not going to happen.

i've said that myself...... no chance he comes to saints unless we do something "dumber than dumb" to get him....

With all the tags being thrown out, don't be surprised...or very disappointed. That's what I see happening, either half the board will be upset that we spent a lot of money or traded a lot for someone, or the other half will be upset that we layed an egg in FA...either way, half will be happy and the other half will mope.

I honestly think that if D. Hall played for any other team than the turds you guys would be giving him alot more credit than he's getting now.

I think he's solid... I'm not saying he's the best... but he's in the top 10 in the league at his position IMO.

:9:

Exactly. the dude's 24. I'd bet if we compared the people hating on the Alge thread and the ones hating on this one, the list would be similar. We hate him because he's a Falcon. If he played for someone else we'd be all for this....and he's actually played in Man before so its not an unknown like JD.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom