Atlanta Sports radio reporting Saints are in talks with Todd Grantham (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Defensive Coordinator Radar - Page 3 - TigerDroppings.com

Don't know how accurate it is and i tried to resist the urge to add a new thread but i couldn't help it.

Still makes sense that we haven't heard anything on the DC front besides obvious candidates who run the 3-4 and are out of work (ie Crennell/Ryan)

Grantham also has that Parcells connection..he just prefers the 1gap to the 2gap but hes worked with both.

Ive been posting other threads to articles

If you notice this was reported on 1/25 and Grantham has been very quiet. He hasn't said hes been talking with anyone but he hasn't said that no one has called either.

Forgive me if its old news but this is the closest I've gotten to concrete evidence that we could be targeting him other than him just being a 3-4 guy.

Pleaseeeee be true! Hope we get him and some how Jarvis jones falls to us, championship

I'm looking at some of the places and people Graham has coached for/with, and its pretty impressive. Its further down the post on the OP's link (would rather not quote it).

Pleaseeeee be true! Hope we get him and some how Jarvis jones falls to us, championship

Him + Romeo as OLB coach would be awesome. Its a pipe dream but with my record for guessing things this offseason i could be right.

Even Ryan can jump on borad as Dline coach.

Ryan+Romeo+Grantham+Payton = MULITPLE Championships.

You would think that Grantham would have wanted to keep things quiet until after signing day.

I'm looking at some of the places and people Graham has coached for/with, and its pretty impressive. Its further down the post on the OP's link (would rather not quote it).

Yeah he has previous NFL experience...which hes probably learned a thing or two since cleveland. Plus he will probably have better talent along the line than cleveland had when he took over.

He also has experience with the Read Option and he has worked with folks from the parcells tree as well as the bum phillips tree. Its an interesting mesh of philosophies.

Heres his resume

1990–1991 Virginia Tech (DE/ILB)
1992-1993 Virginia Tech (DT)
1994-1995 Virginia Tech (DL)
1996–1998 Michigan State (DL)
1999–2001 Indianapolis Colts (DL)
2002–2004 Houston Texans (DL)
2005–2007 Cleveland Browns (DC)
2008–2009 Dallas Cowboys (DL)
2010–present Georgia (DC)

I hope this proves true. Grantham's been my first choice since the announcement of Spags firing. He's actually overseen the successfully transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Of the retreads I like Crennel the best (but he has little incentive to coach with his contract situation). I do not want Ryan.

Getting Grantham in as DC as quickly as possible is imperative. He has a lot of work to do.......

You would think that Grantham would have wanted to keep things quiet until after signing day.

Well he has been quiet and that was from 1/23 or so. I can't find anything other than this

UGA

so hes been kind of hush on the issue.

But Grantham also has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave UGA for an NFL head coaching job or an NFL coordinator’s position without having to pay the school a buyout. In addition, Grantham hasn’t kiboshed the rumors — it’s called leverage — which could cause some Bulldog recruits to worry as signing day nears.

They could keep the 3-4 in tact if he left. If he left and only brought say his DB coach with him that would still leave the Dline coach and the LB's coach to be promoted to D-coordinator. They've been in the scheme for 3years now so they should be able to effectively run it in theory.

Bulldawg Illustrated

Here is Grantham’s take on what each guy in his defense will be expected to do:

The Nose
“The nose is obviously a run player, gives you some stops inside. You like to have a guy who can move a little bit because you’re going to move him around.”

Defensive Ends
“Ends are your guys who are going to anchor the C gap or the B gap based on the formation. C gap is outside the tackle or outside the guard. They’re gonna anchor those and they’re going to generate your inside pass rush.”

Outside Linebackers
“Your Sam and Will are the outside guys. They’re gonna be the guys who should be your most productive guys because you’re trying to get those guys on backs and generally they’re pretty athletic. They are also going to have some coverage responsibility but pass rush is real premium with those guys.”

Inside Linebackers
“Inside backers, Mike and Moe, are pretty much the glue as far as making the calls, getting guys lined up. You need a guy in there who’s a thumper, who can be real physical. You also need a guy who can cover a little bit and scrape inside out on the ball. That’s pretty much your inside guys.”

Cornerbacks
“You like to have guys who can play man coverage. You like to have guys that have some awareness to take away the proper leverages and be able to reroute guys and as a general rule, I think it’s real important that all guys in coverage are rerouting guys from disrupting. Don’t let guys have what I call free access into the defense which means don’t let guys run free — you got to reroute guys”

Safeties
“Your safeties (free and strong) are guys that gotta be able to come down and play the run when you play an eight-man front, they’ve got to be able to come down and cover guys, and then they’ve got to be able to give you a little pressure when you call their name. So we put a lot of things on those guys.”

Damnit i want Grantham

Heres his resume

1990–1991 Virginia Tech (DE/ILB)
1992-1993 Virginia Tech (DT)
1994-1995 Virginia Tech (DL)
1996–1998 Michigan State (DL)
1999–2001 Indianapolis Colts (DL)
2002–2004 Houston Texans (DL)
2005–2007 Cleveland Browns (DC)
2008–2009 Dallas Cowboys (DL)
2010–present Georgia (DC)

Yep... he worked for Jim Mora in indy... Dom Capers in Carolina... and Romeo Crennel in Cleveland.

Whoever gets the job I'm sure Payton will have done his due diligence.

Grantham is a saban guy. They mention him in the book how the sec became Goliath

Excerpt from the book.

Glier predicted in his twelfth chapter, “Next,” that the Georgia Bulldogs would overtake Alabama and Florida to win the SEC Championship. The Bulldogs were only 9 seconds and 8 yards away from making Glier’s prediction come true. But Glier’s prediction was soundly based upon the culture change Mark Richt had been employing and also the fiery determination and swagger of defensive coordinator Todd Grantham. Cowboys fans should remember Grantham as Dallas’ defensive line coach from 2008-09, and whose work helped Jay Ratliff have consecutive 5+ sacks a season (and hasn’t had over 3 since).

Mentioned again here

http://books.google.com/books?id=iz...a=X&ei=zaARUcLyOOGkyQHLoICoBw&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAQ

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom