Atlanta Sports radio reporting Saints are in talks with Todd Grantham (1 Viewer)

No way, will not happen....

"Apparently, problems surfaced during Cleveland's October 21 bye week when there was talk that Romeo Crennel could take over the defensive play-calling duties. A welcome change for Browns fans, no doubt, but it wouldn't have done much for Grantham's confidence. It gets weirder, though. Two days ago, before Grantham was canned, the Orange and Brown Report had this:

And just what was the genesis of the problems between Crennel and Grantham? According to several players, none of whom would speak on the record, Grantham "schemed behind RAC's back" in an effort to get him fired before the bye so that he could take over as the interim head coach and, possibly, secure the position for years to come. Additionally, there were "scheme and personnel issues" between not only Grantham and Crennel, but between Grantham and players on the defensive side of the ball. In particular, veterans have been exasperated over Grantham's unwillingness to even listen to input on various defensive issues."
Why the Browns Canned Todd Grantham

After what Payton went thru with Greg Williams the last thing he needs is a coach he can not trust. Parcells is highly recommending Romeo Crennel and if its not him I am sure Romeo will not have anything good to say if Sean Payton asked for his opinion on Grantham.

The Nose
“The nose is obviously a run player, gives you some stops inside. You like to have a guy who can move a little bit because you’re going to move him around.”

Sounds like Bunkley's a great fit.

Defensive Ends
“Ends are your guys who are going to anchor the C gap or the B gap based on the formation. C gap is outside the tackle or outside the guard. They’re gonna anchor those and they’re going to generate your inside pass rush.”

Hicks & Jordan, git that covered!

Outside Linebackers
“Your Sam and Will are the outside guys. They’re gonna be the guys who should be your most productive guys because you’re trying to get those guys on backs and generally they’re pretty athletic. They are also going to have some coverage responsibility but pass rush is real premium with those guys.”

Galette, Wilson, step on up!

Inside Linebackers
“Inside backers, Mike and Moe, are pretty much the glue as far as making the calls, getting guys lined up. You need a guy in there who’s a thumper, who can be real physical. You also need a guy who can cover a little bit and scrape inside out on the ball. That’s pretty much your inside guys.”

Gawd that sound perfect for Lofton/Hawthorne (and even Vilma if he want to play cheaper)

Cornerbacks
“You like to have guys who can play man coverage. You like to have guys that have some awareness to take away the proper leverages and be able to reroute guys and as a general rule, I think it’s real important that all guys in coverage are rerouting guys from disrupting. Don’t let guys have what I call free access into the defense which means don’t let guys run free — you got to reroute guys”

All we have are man CB's, its why Spags secondary looked so lost!

Safeties
“Your safeties (free and strong) are guys that gotta be able to come down and play the run when you play an eight-man front, they’ve got to be able to come down and cover guys, and then they’ve got to be able to give you a little pressure when you call their name. So we put a lot of things on those guys.”

Sounds perfect for our safeties.
Our current personnel looks like a better fit for his 3-4 than a 4-3. Me likey!

Him + Romeo as OLB coach would be awesome. Its a pipe dream but with my record for guessing things this offseason i could be right.

Even Ryan can jump on borad as Dline coach.

Ryan+Romeo+Grantham+Payton = MULITPLE Championships.

If I have read right, Romeo still gets a fat check if he is unemployed so I don't think you would ever see him unless it is at DC

"Apparently, problems surfaced during Cleveland's October 21 bye week when there was talk that Romeo Crennel could take over the defensive play-calling duties. A welcome change for Browns fans, no doubt, but it wouldn't have done much for Grantham's confidence. It gets weirder, though. Two days ago, before Grantham was canned, the Orange and Brown Report had this:

And just what was the genesis of the problems between Crennel and Grantham? According to several players, none of whom would speak on the record, Grantham "schemed behind RAC's back" in an effort to get him fired before the bye so that he could take over as the interim head coach and, possibly, secure the position for years to come. Additionally, there were "scheme and personnel issues" between not only Grantham and Crennel, but between Grantham and players on the defensive side of the ball. In particular, veterans have been exasperated over Grantham's unwillingness to even listen to input on various defensive issues."

After what Payton went thru with Greg Williams the last thing he needs is a coach he can not trust. Parcells is highly recommending Romeo Crennel and if its not him I am sure Romeo will not have anything good to say if Sean Payton asked for his opinion on Grantham.

Well reading that and searching on various Browns forums I wouldn't touch Grantham with a ten foot pole.

Well reading that and searching on various Browns forums I wouldn't touch Grantham with a ten foot pole.

If Payton and Grantham both come from the Parcells tree and Payton consulted Parcells on this 3-4 switch and who the possible candidates were for the DC position, I'm sure Grantham (if his name came up) wouldnt be a problem for Payton seeing as though they may have a mutual respect for each other...something (if true) Grantham didnt have for Crennel.

99-01
Grantham was hired by Jim Mora in 1998 to coach the Defensive Line. His D-Line was one of the catalysts of the biggest turnaround in league history (3-13 to 13-3), ultimately helping the Colts defense compile 56 sacks in two years, which was a club record since moving to Indianapolis. During his tenure in Indianapolis, the Colts had a 29-19 record.

02-04
After Jim Mora was relieved of his duties in Indianapolis, Grantham would move on to the newly formed Houston Texans, joining the staff of former Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Coordinator and Inaugural Carolina Panthers head coach Dom Capers. Grantham would be given lots of talent to work with from the start, as the Texans acquired Pro Bowl Defensive End Gary Walker and Nose Tackle Seth Payne from the Jacksonville Jaguars in the expansion draft.
In 2002, his influence was evident on the line as starters Gary Walker, Seth Payne, and Jerry Deloach all posted career high's in tackles. Gary Walker would also earn his second Pro Bowl appearance under his tutelage that season.
2003 would be a testing year for the line, as Pro Bowler Gary Walker and Seth Payne would only play in a combined six games that year due to injury. However, Jerry Deloach and Steve Martin would fill in with great success, posting a combined 201 tackles. Despite the very poor 5-11 record, there was optimism for the future of the steadily improving defense.
2004 would be a break-out year for the Texans. Todd Grantham's line would once again make a major contribution, helping the Texans achieve the 13th ranked run defense in the league. Despite the low number of sacks (5.5), they put great pressure on opposing quarterbacks (76 recorded pressures) and helped anchor the defense that was equipped with playmakers such as 2004 1st round draft pick Dunta Robinson, former Ravens Linebacker Jamie Sharper, and Veteran Defensive Backs Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman. Despite posting a mediocre 7-9 record, the Texans were poised to start making an impact in the NFL after improving every season since their inception in 2002.
After three strong seasons with the Texans, Todd Grantham would accept an offer by Romeo Crennel to become Defensive Coordinator of the Browns. After he left, the Houston Texans would fall apart as they posted a 2-14 record. Dom Capers was fired after the end of the season.

05-07
Todd Grantham's first year as coordinator of the Browns defense was an eclectic mix of good and bad. They once again fielded one of the NFL's top pass defenses, actually stepping up in rank from 5th to 4th in the NFL. When starting cornerback Gary Baxter went down with a knee injury that ended his season, Leigh Bodden emerged as a solid playmaker. Overall, their secondary continued to play at a high level. They also ranked 11th in scoring defense despite possessing one of the leagues worst run defenses. Orpheus Roye would post a career high with 88 tackles and also make 3 sacks.
He was fired on January 11, 2008 after the 2007 season with the Brown's defense ranking 25th against the pass, 27th against the run, and 30th in total-yards-against among 32 teams.

08-09
Grantham served as the defensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys until the end of the season when he joined the coaching staff at the University of Georgia as defensive coordinator. During Grantham's 2 seasons with Dallas, the Cowboys improved from 13th (2007) to 2nd (2009) in the league in points allowed.

10-now
Grantham has installed a 3-4 defense. Despite breakdowns in coverage at times, the Bulldogs ranked 23rd nationally in total defense and 35th in scoring defense (22 points allowed per game). His defense also forced 26 takeaways, over twice as many as Georgia had in 2009 (12), and helped them move from 118th nationally in 2009 to 18th in 2010 in turnover margin.
Georgia's defense under Grantham finished the 2011 season ranked 3rd nationally in total defense, 7th in pass defense and 9th in rush defense. They also finished 2nd in the SEC in sacks (34), tackles for loss (94) and turnovers forced (29). In 2012, despite falling to 27th nationally in total defense, the unit was revered as one of the top in the country as the team finished the season 12-2, winning the Eastern Division of the SEC. Grantham's defense sported some of the top talent in the country with playmakers at every position including linebackers Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree, defensive linemen John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers, cornerback Sanders Commings, and All-American free safety Bacarri Rambo. Jones was Grantham's star player and was once again a consensus All-American in 2012, finishing the regular season leading the nation in tackles for loss, and 3rd in sacks.
Grantham is perhaps most famous for giving the University of Florida kicker, Chas Henry, the "choke" sign as Henry lined up for the winning kick in the 2010 Florida-Georgia game.

--thought hire by Crennel was interesting in that both these guys names are circulating as Saint possibilities.

If I have read right, Romeo still gets a fat check if he is unemployed so I don't think you would ever see him unless it is at DC

I've also read that the Chiefs will pay him the difference between his new salary and what the Chiefs paid him. So if he coaches for a dollar a year, the Chiefs still owe him the fat check minus a dollar.

His only real decision is between taking the year off fishing or getting back to work.

I don't think you have to worry about it, not yet at least. I was listening to the radio (here in Atlanta) when this was discussed.

They did not say he was in talks with the Saints. They said he has been linked to the Eagles and Saints but the UGA AD stated that he has not been contacted by any NFL teams to speak to Grantham which is a stipulation in Grantham's contract.

This was mentioned in 2 sentences when discussing UGA's recruiting class.

All i know we need someone young and energetic to get the players to play to there potential. If its Grantham so be it. IDC who it is as long as they stop the run and pressure the QB. I wouldn't want Rob Ryan. Pass on him. Crennel is up in age but could be a very good Assistan Coach to Sean Payton.

I think SP will want someone without the monster personality. Not enough room for another big ego on the staff. There will not be an "F-U" clause like 3G had, SP will retain final authority. I think he wants someone like Crennel who's had his shot at HC and won't compete for the spotlight. That said, I'm not sure Romeo doesn't take a year or two off on the Chief's dime.

I think it will be a no-name. One of the 49ers' guys.

He's also a hot head with the whole choking sign to the fans and the fight with James Franklin. I'm probably forgetting a few other incidents too. He may be a good coach, but probably not the type of person Payton should hire at this point.

Since we are making such a huge change on defense and not only are we gonna need someone to coach it but also evaluate talent for the scheme I would prefer someone like Ryan or Crennel . That's just my opinion , Payton could turn over the defense to these guys and let them have at it .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom