Austin Carr and Diving for Balls (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
Random observation, but I remember noticing that two of the handful of times Brees threw at him last year, he dove for the ball. Last weekend, both times Bridgewater goes to him, he's diving for the ball.

Is he just the world's most impossible WR to hit in stride or is there something weird about how he's running routes?

There's something weird about why we keep employing him and putting him on the field. There are so many dynamic athletes who could be productive #4WR on this team...
He's technically not the true 4th. Our 4th
WR is on IR for about 6 more weeks in Kirkwood

Can't Kirkwood come back in 2.5 weeks? I thought it was 8 weeks and he went on IR after the Rams game.
I thought his injury would take 10 weeks or more to rehab from.

IDK ...I have nothing against the guy he's simply not making enough plays on a weekly basis.

I know Teddy didn't throw perfect passes last week to him but you gotta be able to make the necessary adjustments and make a play. There are lower tier WR's across the league who are doing more (avg to below avg QB) with less.

I will say that I’ve met Carr and had a couple of conversations with him. He seems like a very high character guy and overall good dude and I know the staff likes to have these kinds of guys on the team. From a performance standpoint - I’m not sure if there’s some potential there that they see - he’s been on the team for 2.5 seasons now.

My guess for the reason why Payton keep him around is because he can probably play all the receiver positions. Safe play for an end of the depth chart receiver.

He's just.... there. Occupying some space on the field sometimes. ?

:sir-saint:

That's really impossible for anyone to answer without doing a film study on all 22 footage.

I know everyone likes to poo poo on the guy, but as of now I think you should chalk it up to poor throws, timing issues due to him rarely being targeted, and him giving maximum effort when a lot of other guys would just let it go by.

Random observation, but I remember noticing that two of the handful of times Brees threw at him last year, he dove for the ball. Last weekend, both times Bridgewater goes to him, he's diving for the ball.

Is he just the world's most impossible WR to hit in stride or is there something weird about how he's running routes?

Maybe he's a blocker on a lot of plays, and acts as a safety valve that's supposed to come back for the ball. That's a very safe throw for a pressured QB, but not a real easy throw. Just 1/2 of the football width can make a big difference in being catchable and very tough to catch.

Carr has made some nice leaping grabs, so I don't think that's his preference.

He looked like a beast when he was on patriots.
Was preseason highlights but damn those were some great catches.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom