Austin Carr and Diving for Balls (1 Viewer)

I will say that I’ve met Carr and had a couple of conversations with him. He seems like a very high character guy and overall good dude and I know the staff likes to have these kinds of guys on the team. From a performance standpoint - I’m not sure if there’s some potential there that they see - he’s been on the team for 2.5 seasons now.

I think they like his blocking. He has good hands, and I think he plays ST.

The quickest way to make the field as a Saints' WR is to block. Evidently Carr does what is asked well enough to keep getting put out there. Long runs are generally a function of WRs blocking downfield, so I'd say all the Saints wideouts had pretty good games last week. Just not from a statistical standpoint.

He was wide open twice last week and Teddy badly overthrew him. I've been all for replacing Carr's snaps, but he would have contributed last week if not for the bad throws.
I don't think they expect more from him than to make a couple to three first down catches a game. Fillers to keep the drives from stalling. And, as you mentioned, he was there for a couple against the Bears.

He sucks. Ball hit him in the hands 3 times last Sunday, and he dropped them all.
I wouldn't call any one of those a "drop." They were all tough catches and were way, way out in front of him. Seems like that happens every time we throw him the ball. I wonder if his being a good bit shorter than all our other WRs has something to do with it.

He is an above average blocker at the WR position. Coach values that highly.

My guess for the reason why Payton keep him around is because he can probably play all the receiver positions. Safe play for an end of the depth chart receiver.

I would tell people to not under-estimate being able to run the correct routes. In the Saints offense, the "other" receivers run routes so that Thomas can't be triple-teamed. He can usually beat double coverage. If by some off chance, he gets single coverage because the other receivers pull at least one guy each, then that is perfection. Running the correct routes, at anything close to game speed, is all that it takes for the mad scientist to figure out a play to get Thomas a chance to be open......and all he needs is a chance.

I wouldn't call any one of those a "drop." They were all tough catches and were way, way out in front of him. Seems like that happens every time we throw him the ball. I wonder if his being a good bit shorter than all our other WRs has something to do with it.
He doesn't exactly have the best catch radius, his role is purely as a blocker and to set rub/picks on man to man beaters. As he has as many catches as the posters in this thread on the season.

He's a good blocker. He's usually in the right place as far as distracting the DBs. When he's open over the middle, he'll catch it.

Let's face it, we can't be good at every position, and we've hit the **** button on Meredith, Tre'Quan and whomever else since Snead left. Meanwhile, we have 11 DL on the roster and the practice squad who are legit NFL rotation guys.

Shirts happen to need ironing.

Something about this is hilarious to me. That would be so funny if a wr was forced to dive on every play, even if it were thrown right to him.??

I 100% don’t see what Sean sees in him.. he is not fast enough, decent hands, short. About the only thing he does well is route running and assignment football but I have noticed when he is in the game teams almost treat him like drew out at wr... not a fan and hope somehow we move on from this project like we did TLL

Anyone else notice Drew pull him off to the side and talk to him after the first miss? Makes me think he isn’t doing something right on his routes

Diving for balls might just be his personal preference.

Idk, he is this year Tommy Lee Lewis.. There has to be a way to upgrade from him before the playoffs.
Yall missed it. What he said "Diving for balls might be his personal preference"...........?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom