Austin Carr's Response About Situation With Bress (1 Viewer)

As Carr said, 2 things can be true at once. you can:
1) kneel during the Anthem in protest AND
2) still honor and respect the sacrifice of the military

These 2 things can ALSO be true:
1) "I want people to stand to respect the Anthem"
2) "I want less institutional racism and better treatment of minorities by police"
But why is it automatically assumed if you want #1, you don't want #2.....in both examples

You can. But without fail, people who are against kneeling always say, it's because kneeling is to show disrespect to the flag

2) "I want less institutional racism and better treatment of minorities by police"
But why is it automatically assumed if you want #1, you don't want #2.....in both examples
Great post and question. My advice would be to drown out those who say you can't have one without the other because it's a distraction and a misinterpretation in of itself.

Kaep and others kneeled and a large portion of our population took that to an emotional place of disrespect towards the flag (prime example: Trump galvanizing this by calling kneeling players "SOBs"), when in fact the players that were kneeling were trying to bring attention to one of fundamental ideas that the flag represented that had/has become flawed - freedom/equality for everyone. Both can be true at the same time 100% in your first example.

Your second example speaks to the timing of the flag kneeling conversation that has been rehashed in recent days. This should be the conversation and comparison: It isn't "this or that" it's..."ok, if you feel strongly about standing for the anthem in front of the flag then great but at the same time don't denounce those who were peacefully protesting (by kneeling) around you." "I appreciate your position to stand during the anthem as a sign of respect but at the same time I need you to understand that other people's lives in this Country are completely different than yours from an equality standpoint and because of this the very foundation of what this flag represents should be put under the microscope, questioned, and hopefully corrected so that we can get back to what it originally represented as a meaningful symbol."

People (including myself) are more frustrated that we are even having another conversation about the flag when there are more important matters to discuss.

At the games, the announcer says, “Please rise and stand to honor our country” Or something similar to that. So if you refuse to do so is how it’s conveyed as refusing to honor our country.

You can. But without fail, people who are against kneeling always say, it's because kneeling is to show disrespect to the flag

(I'm not patriotic and I'm not even american).

I think people against kneeling say that kneeling is disrespectful to the flag/country not that people are kneeling to show disrespect to the flag/country.

There is a huge difference in those two things. In the first one they know why people are protesting and might even agree with the protest but they think the act of kneeling is disrespectful.

Right. They always impose their definition of disrespect onto the kneeling party. Yet I don't recall very much of the opposite: since you're not kneeling, you must not care about police brutality. That hasn't really been a big talking point from what I've seen.

It's been more along the lines of "Let me kneel in peace for the reasons I've laid out. You do you." That's more than fair. But there's a certain subset of society that gets off on wanting to control what everyone does. Just mind your business. If you don't want to kneel, then don't.
----
To take it one step further, why in the hell does anyone care if you feel the same as them about the country. Say it WAS about disrespecting the flag. SOOOOO? Since when do 300 million people have to all feel the same? What kind of lunacy is that? "You must feel and act exactly like me or else I'm mad!" That's the mindset of a 5 year old.

This is about racism and police brutality. Do you care about that or not? If not, then keep it moving. Go snuggle with your flag and make Star Spangled Banner ringtones while we fight racism.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom