Austin Hooper Inquiry (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
All signs point to the Falcons not re-signing tight end Austin Hooper. Should the Saints be interested in signing him. According to Spotrac his market value is 9 Mil. It wouldn't hurt to have second option after Jared Cook in regards to tight end.

I don't think it makes sense from a Cap point of view to have 2 highly paid Tight Ends, when you already have Jared Cook accounting for $9 mil of the cap next season. 3 Potentially if someone tries to tender Taysom with a high offer, and the Saints match. (depends how you consider Taysom positionally)

Travis Kelce is worth 9.4 mil per year, and Zach Ertz 8.5... I don't think Hooper is worth 9 mil per year; he's a solid Tight End but not a top 5. If the Saints want better depth at Tight End this off-season I would go for a bargain veteran, or look to the Draft to groom someone one a rookie contract.

I don't think it makes sense from a Cap point of view to have 2 highly paid Tight Ends, when you already have Jared Cook accounting for $9 mil of the cap next season. 3 Potentially if someone tries to tender Taysom with a high offer, and the Saints match. (depends how you consider Taysom positionally)

Travis Kelce is worth 9.4 mil per year, and Zach Ertz 8.5... I don't think Hooper is worth 9 mil per year; he's a solid Tight End but not a top 5. If the Saints want better depth at Tight End this off-season I would go for a bargain veteran, or look to the Draft to groom someone one a rookie contract.
I would do both. I am willing to bet Loomis has scoured every Practice squad.

All signs point to the Falcons not re-signing tight end Austin Hooper. Should the Saints be interested in signing him?
Yes, very much so. Hooper is a legit player, and is only 25.

It's hard for me to imagine him getting Top-3 TE money ... but Hooper is not far off of that Kelce-Ertz tier. Consecutive 70+ catch seasons, ~80% catch rate, never fumbled in his career. Not a ton of splash plays, but as steady as they come.

Wouldn't surprise me if he gets franchised if they cannot re-sign him before free agency.

I owned him in Fantasy this year, so I watched him in particular a lot (I know, I watched a lot of Falcons games). Hooper is a legit TE. If you sign him you are getting a Pro Bowl tight end that Drew could transform into an All Pro.

He can run block and pass block, but he isn’t great at it, so there is his one fault, but it’s not like he can’t do it. With proper coaching who knows what he can become?

I would have no problem shelling out $7-$8m for him. He isn’t some Colby Fleener type, this guy has proven he is more than a flash in the pan.

I owned him in Fantasy this year, so I watched him in particular a lot (I know, I watched a lot of Falcons games). Hooper is a legit TE. If you sign him you are getting a Pro Bowl tight end that Drew could transform into an All Pro.

He can run block and pass block, but he isn’t great at it, so there is his one fault, but it’s not like he can’t do it. With proper coaching who knows what he can become?

I would have no problem shelling out $7-$8m for him. He isn’t some Colby Fleener type, this guy has proven he is more than a flash in the pan.
My issue with that is that if he's only "decent" at blocking and not great at it, why pay him Top of the line Tight End money?

He's not going to want $7-8 mil, he's going to want $9+ mil on the open market, which is why it's going to be difficult for Atlanta to re-sign him. I think he will get the Franchise tag for one season from Atlanta.

The only Tight Ends worth close to $10 mil after the market inflation to me are going to be Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, and maybe some younger guys with All-Pro potential like Hockenson, or Noah Fant.

Also I think Hooper's numbers are a bit inflated.. He had amazing Receivers Julio Jones, and Calvin Ridley demanding so much coverage.. it made his life easier feasting on wide open holes in the middle of the field. He's a good receiver no doubt,. but I question how he'd do on a team with lesser receiving talent and him demanding more attention in coverage.

I wouldn't mind seeing him wearing Black and Gold on Sundays but I'm afraid the $ he'll want may be more than he's worth.

He's a good TE but he's a notch below an elite TE.

It makes sense if they want 3 big bodies in pattern; especially since 9 can’t get it deep consistently anymore. Combine that with solid run game, we’ll be good.

Cap #'s don't add up. Typically when you have a Vet like Cook you look to the draft to supplement the position and get a young cheap option to go with your older more expensive option. You can then groom.

Great example would be drafting Jimmy in the final year of Shockey's contract. Similar Scenario.

Just today there was an article in the AJC.

"If the organization wants me, they'll offer me,” Hooper told Caleb Johnson of 92.9 The Game. “I still haven't received an offer from them. ... As of now, I'm enjoying what could be my last game as a Falcon at the Pro Bowl."

hooper-still-haven-received-offer

Hooper isn’t getting away from Atlanta. They’ll franchise tag him before they let him walk. He’s too big a part of their offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom