Available - A real swinger! Spidey divorces Mary Jane after 20 years (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Spidey & MJ in happier days.
0_61_011608_spiderman.jpg

FOX NEWS
Spider-Man Splits With Mary Jane, Wife of 20 Years
Wednesday, January 16, 2008

EXERPTS:
"When we first did it, the reaction was, 'How could you do this? This is a terrible thing to do," he recalled. "But with the first issue of 'Brand New Day' [in which Spider-Man returns to single life], our letters very quickly changed to people saying, 'This is fantastic. This is the Spider-Man we remembered. We didn't know what we'd been missing."

To briefly recap Spider-Man's trials and tribulations, his beloved Aunt May was recently wounded by an assassin. To save her life he and Mary Jane struck a deal with the devil-like Mephisto in which she would be restored to good health if they allowed Mephisto to erase every memory of their time as a married couple.

Reaction from the critics was swift.

READ MORE
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,323113,00.html

This was the worst storyline in the history of comics. Fans for twenty years have had love hate feeling with regard to the marriage and the Marvel big wigs never could figure it out. So the Editor in Chief, the slimy Joe Quesada, who does not allow the characters to smoke-because it's a bad influence, had Spider Man and MJ make a deal witht he DEVIL to erase their marriage and anyones memory of it.So basically if you were dumb enough to read Spidey for the past 20 years...it's been retconned

I miss the old days where a hero would fight Rhinocerous Man in one issue to final resolution, then the next issue would be a new fight with Bumble Bee Man, and so forth. None of this soap opera crapola.

Just a funny (well, to myself anyway) observation. I have been a saintsreport.com member since darn near it's inception. I mean, we're talking an ironera.com member here. I think the highest amount of views for any of my threads here in those 11 years is like 300. And the the most replies maybe like 15.

My first thread ever at the marvel.com boards has 2540 views and 80 replies. The peeps sure do loves their Spider-Man.

Sensationalism, just like when they kileld Captain America, or Superman. Supes back and I'm sure Cap will be as well.

This was the worst storyline in the history of comics. Fans for twenty years have had love hate feeling with regard to the marriage and the Marvel big wigs never could figure it out. So the Editor in Chief, the slimy Joe Quesada, who does not allow the characters to smoke-because it's a bad influence, had Spider Man and MJ make a deal witht he DEVIL to erase their marriage and anyones memory of it.So basically if you were dumb enough to read Spidey for the past 20 years...it's been retconned

This kind of stuff pretty much killed my love for comics... the Avengers were basically destroyed for the sake of putting the "cool" characters in and dumping the old stand-bys like the Vision, Hank Pym and the Wasp, etc.

Tony Stark/Iron Man becomes a meglomanical source of all evil in the world and so on...

What happens is so many of these young guns hate continuity/character history, because it "limits" their creativity, so they retro-con history to fit their new ideas... it's terrible.

And as far as the soap operas, that's what made Marvel comics as opposed to the 1960s-era DC comics which were one adventure after another with no sense of continuity or "reality" (DC had cities like Central City, Metropolis and Gotham... Marvel took place in NYC (Avengers Mansion is on 5th Avenue), Queens/SOHO (both locations for Spidey), Brooklyn and so forth.

Just a funny (well, to myself anyway) observation. I have been a saintsreport.com member since darn near it's inception. I mean, we're talking an ironera.com member here. I think the highest amount of views for any of my threads here in those 11 years is like 300. And the the most replies maybe like 15.

My first thread ever at the marvel.com boards has 2540 views and 80 replies. The peeps sure do loves their Spider-Man.

You should start a thread asking if Andrus will give you a refund. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom