Available College QBs who can start this year ? (If you Disagree with Winston or Hill Starting ....Jump In) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
If you hate the prospect of Jameis or taysom starting a full season move as much as I do, jump in this thread. Is there any college QBs besides a top 5 pick that we can jump up in the draft and get ? Someone that may surprise teams? This is like a insurance policy. I have a feeling we will need it by the end of October. If Jameis throws 1 pick, we may need to just draft Alabama or Clemson rb. Because Payton will just run run run to keep the turnovers down.

Trey Lance is really the only QB that I feel is in the realm of highest ceiling trade up candidate.

Does he start week one? Maybe a simple 2 read offense and Zoom.

His hand aren't much bigger than Hill, but they are atleast 9 inches.

I think you roll with Jameis and draft Jamie Newman in the 2nd or 3rd. Newman has potential but needs time, and Winston would buy him a redshirt year. This could be the point of a 1 yr contract for Winston. Just a guess.

I could be wrong, but I believe Mac Jones will be gone by the time the Saints draft in the first round. Since Hill and Winston will both be back, the best option may be Jamie Newman from Wake Forest. He has the arm, accuracy and leadership to be a starter and he will possibly still be available in the third round.

Trey Lance is really the only QB that I feel is in the realm of highest ceiling trade up candidate.

Does he start week one? Maybe a simple 2 read offense and Zoom.

His hand aren't much bigger than Hill, but they are atleast 9 inches.

I’ve heard some say he’d need to sit for a year or two. But I like his potential. And I think you could design an offense that would fit both Lance and Taysom. Signing Jameis throws a wrench in that plan. I saw a mock today that had the Panthers trading up to 4th overall to take Lance.

I don't hate the prospect of Hill and Winston but I'm still on board with drafting a QB. I want them developed for 2022, not 2021

That said I only think 3 QBs are ready to start this year. Every other QB needs a year to develop. Even then I think Payton is more hesitant to start a new QB in his system than most coaches. He won't take a QB not knowing the Ps and Qs of his offense. Regardless the only 3 I think are reasonable to start week 1 are:

Trevor Lawrence
Zack Wilson
Mac Jones

Every other qb wasn't in an NFL-ready system or just aren't good enough to win a job. At minimum, they need a Justin Herbert type of situation (Tyrod ahead of him to start the season)

Last edited:
I don't hate the prospect of Hill and Winston but I'm still on board with drafting a QB. I want them developed for 2022, not 2021

That said I only think 3 QBs are ready to start this year. Every other QB needs a year to develop. Even then I think Payton is more hesitant to start a new QB in his system than most coaches. He won't take a QB not knowing the Ps and Qs of his offense. Regardless the only 3 I think are reasonable to start week 1 are:

Trevor Lawrence
Zack Wilson
Mac Jones

Every other qb wasn't in an NFL-ready system or just aren't good enough to win a job. At minimum, they need a Justin Herbert type of situation (Tyrod ahead of him to start the season)
I believe Trey Lance was in a pro style offense

I’ve heard some say he’d need to sit for a year or two. But I like his potential. And I think you could design an offense that would fit both Lance and Taysom. Signing Jameis throws a wrench in that plan. I saw a mock today that had the Panthers trading up to 4th overall to take Lance.
He does need to sit, but he has the athleticism and arm talent to make an offense work much like Hill in short bursts.

His accuracy is suspect. I wouldn't even remotely call him even a Mahomes Lite, but he has half as much experience. He has the talent, but he is very very raw

This is next level accuracy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom