Available College QBs who can start this year ? (If you Disagree with Winston or Hill Starting ....Jump In) (2 Viewers)

Both.

I think the Saints should take the best QB at the 40-90th pick, and also 1 in UDFA. Then let Hill and Winston fight it out and settle on 1 by game 5... unless 1 of the rooks light it up.

I’ve recently been watching film on Kellen Mond QB from Texas A&M and I must say he’s very impressive and could be a sleeper in this draft class and not to mention he was also the Senior Bowl MVP. From what I saw that I like was his accuracy, completing throws in tight spaces, int ratio is the lowest in college football, has good mobility and can buy time with his legs. His consistency can use some work but with good coaching it’s fixable. Most mocks have him rated as a second day pick but from what I saw I think he’s worth a late 1st rd.

I don't think we have a roster that you let start in the first year, too much to lose. Now if we draft someone and let them sit, like Mahomes I could understand that.

You have to read better. Carson Wentz had two full seasons to evaluate. He also left school as a Senior. Trey Lance has one full season and an exhibition game that he didn’t do that well in. He’s leaving as a Junior with one full season under his belt. He’s a risk to draft anywhere in the first round.

QB’s without 3 full seasons are always a risk to draft. It’s a repetition based position that you need a lot of experience to be able to understand defenses and consistently make the right reads, adjustments and throws. You can’t just evaluate talent with QBs. You have to evaluate character, work ethic, team/scheme fit. He’s going to turn into Mitchell Trubisky if he doesn’t go to the right situation.
He also does not have a gunslinger mentality. It’s hard to coach that into a player and defenses will take risks of they know that.
Oh ok, that's my problem!!! I responded, and it was great response...Save your ASSumption!!! Oh btw, my degree is in English, so YOU CAN READ THESE!!!

I’ve recently been watching film on Kellen Mond QB from Texas A&M and I must say he’s very impressive and could be a sleeper in this draft class and not to mention he was also the Senior Bowl MVP. From what I saw that I like was his accuracy, completing throws in tight spaces, int ratio is the lowest in college football, has good mobility and can buy time with his legs. His consistency can use some work but with good coaching it’s fixable. Most mocks have him rated as a second day pick but from what I saw I think he’s worth a late 1st rd.
I would say he’s worth a late second round pick. He’s a little stiff with his mechanics, footwork and passing. He could use some adjustments to his footwork to improve his timing. But his release is real quick! I’m not sure why he isn’t rated higher. I thought he didn’t have the best receivers and that affected his stats.

With rumblings that 9ers will take Mac at 3, and assuming BYU kid is taken at 2... that leaves Fields and Lance available. How far will the 5th one drop and do the Saints have the capital to move up to snag one of these guys?

I was hopeful that they might have a shot at Jones, but that's not looking like a possibility anymore.

I think at this point the Saints are planning to just see what they have, and if they address the position in the draft it'll be next year. If Winston or Hill thrive, we got it covered, if not, then we'll be picking higher next year.

I think either Mills or maybe trask will be available in the 3rd or maybe Mond in the 4th. I actually expect a trade down with the Jets from 28 to 34 with Darnold being the compensation. It wouldn't shock me if it from 74-60 with Darnold being the compensation.

Last edited:
Kyle Trask

Arguably the most accurate QB in this class. He has elite pocket awareness and movement, great at his ability to read defenses pre-snap and go through progressions after, and elite accuracy not only in ball placement, which is arguably the best in this class, but also accurate in anticipation of where his receiver will be and pre and post-snap reads of the defense. Combine that with elite size and an above average arm, and I strongly believe, if Trask lands with the right team, he may end up one of the best QBs in this class. Sure he was surrounded with elite receiving options, but some of their achievements should be credited to Trask as well. And is that really a knock? It isn't like Trask was merely average with those receivers. Trask was 4th in the heisman race because he was exceptional. Trasks one bad game was against Oklahoma. He performed poorly, but with his top 3 receivers out. regardless of their talent, any QB will drop off if his #4 receiver is now #1, #5 now #2, etc., especially with a guy like Trask who excels at anticipating where his receivers will be, which clearly affects chemistry and changes when you lose your top 3 familiar guys.

The guy's only real knock is mobility. Sure he isn't Kyler Murray, but Trask had 2 rushing TDs against LSU and 1 against Alabama. He isn't a slug by any stretch of the imagination and is certainly capable of running. Our current system is setup for Trask's style play with Brees anyway.

With that said, to address OP, although I don't see Winston as the starter long term, he is likely the starter at the beginning of the upcoming season regardless of whether we draft a Qb. Admittedly, I don't see Winston as a franchise QB, but he is no slouch and it is HIGHLY unlikely he will be beat by any rookie for the starting job prior to game 1. I want to see the Saints draft a QB to add competition and options for long term. But, like it or not, Winston is the short term answer.

First, I trust in the Saints brass. They hit more than miss on the draft.

Second, I would be very surprised to see them Draft a QB in Round 1 or 2. Round 3 is a maybe. And I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade up.

Why?
1) The pick is too low to get a franchise QB unless Mac is there. There are more prognosticators picking him to go early than late. But you never know.
2) Of the QBs figuring to go in later rounds, there are two that intrigue me, and a couple of others that are interesting.
- Kellen Mond - When he's on, he's big time. When he's not... oh well. But if he can develop consistency, I think he's got a huge ceiling.
- Davis Mills - Like Mond, he's got skills. The difference between them is that Mills simply hasn't played as much so you really don't know what you're getting. But when he's on, he shows he can do some things.

So, those guys are boom or bust

After that... 4th round or preferably later projects, but will need a lot of coaching up
- Jamie Newman - Has shown some flashes but really not a lot of tape on him
- Felipe Franks - He's got a great arm, but otherwise, I haven't seen anything to show that he could be the guy
- Peyton Ramsey - Very smart guy who did well this past season. Could fall far into the later rounds and could be a real sleeper

Also ran... (maybe)
- Sorry. I know he's amazingly accurate but I've never seen any film of Kyle Trask where he doesn't float the ball. Granted he's got touch, but NFL corners will torch him if he doesn't build up strength. That said, they once said the same thing about a guy named Brees. They also said the same thing about a guy named Wuerfful.

I have always doubted that Payton would ever start a rookie QB. Even if the next big thing falls in our lap, I don’t think he’d be thrown in the fire right off the bat. There may be some near pro-ready guys in the draft, but I wouldn’t count on us starting anyone other than Winston, Taysom, or a vet, at least for this year.

This is also the reason I think we are going to make a big trade deal to draft a QB, because we’ll need someone to start learning. That’s of course if there’s someone we like a lot. I really haven’t been following prospects, but I don’t think we go without taking a QB, and I think we do it in the first few rounds. Maybe I’m wrong. Definitely possible, but I expect a big trade up.

I expect the Saints to draft a QB but not in the first round. If the Winston / Hill experiment doesn't work then they should have a high draft pick next season to draft a QB.

Move up in the Third Round, select QB, Kyle Trask.
I don't know why NFL evaluators have thrown away Trask. Throughout the season Trask throwing completion percentage was in the 70%.
Can someone more educated about this shed light as to why Kyle Trask is not given credit for an outstanding season. He is barely mentioned.
He was invited to the Heisman Trophy presentation because he was considered a front runner.
He is 6'5" 230 pounds, very accurate, with a cannon arm.
What's the problem ?

So did garret Grayson that didn't work out well
I think picking a QB 3 rd and beyond is a waste of a pic. Very rarely do they have an impact in the NFL. Yeah i realize Brady, Dak, and Cousins were picked late but that is a 1 in 20 shot maybe. If a team is looking for a cheap backup they are better served going the UDFA route.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom