Available College QBs who can start this year ? (If you Disagree with Winston or Hill Starting ....Jump In) (1 Viewer)

I could be wrong, but I believe Mac Jones will be gone by the time the Saints draft in the first round. Since Hill and Winston will both be back, the best option may be Jamie Newman from Wake Forest. He has the arm, accuracy and leadership to be a starter and he will possibly still be available in the third round.
So did garret Grayson that didn't work out well

So many media pundits have fallen for Trey Lance as a top ten prospect. What GM, coach, scouting director is going to risk their career on a guy with such little experience at a small school? Yeah he is a first round prospect but to go in the top 10? I just don’t see it. Especially when everyone is saying he needs to sit a year.

I’ve been adamant about keeping all of our picks, but looking at the 2022 draft class I can say this is the year to grab a QB. Outside of the top 3 guys I wouldn’t mind trading up for Trey Lance. Not Mac Jones.

Justin Fields’ stock has been dropping. Hey, maybe he’s a guy who falls out of the top ten and in that case trade up!!

So many media pundits have fallen for Trey Lance as a top ten prospect. What GM, coach, scouting director is going to risk their career on a guy with such little experience at a small school? Yeah he is a first round prospect but to go in the top 10? I just don’t see it. Especially when everyone is saying he needs to sit a year.

I’ve been adamant about keeping all of our picks, but looking at the 2022 draft class I can say this is the year to grab a QB. Outside of the top 3 guys I wouldn’t mind trading up for Trey Lance. Not Mac Jones.

Justin Fields’ stock has been dropping. Hey, maybe he’s a guy who falls out of the top ten and in that case trade up!!
They really try to pin Field as a guy to fall, but I don't see it. His stock will go back up after his pro day on the 30th.

Sam Ehlinger or Davis Mills mid rounds

Ummmm, it was done for Carson Wentz! Who comes from the same school, so why not??? Trey Lance is projected better than Carson, soooo...

If you hate the prospect of Jameis or taysom starting a full season move as much as I do, jump in this thread. Is there any college QBs besides a top 5 pick that we can jump up in the draft and get ? Someone that may surprise teams? This is like a insurance policy. I have a feeling we will need it by the end of October. If Jameis throws 1 pick, we may need to just draft Alabama or Clemson rb. Because Payton will just run run run to keep the turnovers down.
No hate but we dont need any QB's we have plenty. Unless someone cool drops in the draft.

We have our starting QB in the building may the best man win.

Period get over it.

Ummmm, it was done for Carson Wentz! Who comes from the same school, so why not??? Trey Lance is projected better than Carson, soooo...
You have to read better. Carson Wentz had two full seasons to evaluate. He also left school as a Senior. Trey Lance has one full season and an exhibition game that he didn’t do that well in. He’s leaving as a Junior with one full season under his belt. He’s a risk to draft anywhere in the first round.

QB’s without 3 full seasons are always a risk to draft. It’s a repetition based position that you need a lot of experience to be able to understand defenses and consistently make the right reads, adjustments and throws. You can’t just evaluate talent with QBs. You have to evaluate character, work ethic, team/scheme fit. He’s going to turn into Mitchell Trubisky if he doesn’t go to the right situation.
He also does not have a gunslinger mentality. It’s hard to coach that into a player and defenses will take risks of they know that.

Last edited:
If you hate the prospect of Jameis or taysom starting a full season move as much as I do, jump in this thread. Is there any college QBs besides a top 5 pick that we can jump up in the draft and get ? Someone that may surprise teams? This is like a insurance policy. I have a feeling we will need it by the end of October. If Jameis throws 1 pick, we may need to just draft Alabama or Clemson rb. Because Payton will just run run run to keep the turnovers down.
At our pick: Mac Jones or Kyle Trask. 2 of the most accurate QBs in the draft, not only with ball placement, but also accurate anticipation and reading defenses/progressions. Also great pocket awareness and movement. Either would be a great fit for our current offense. Trask may end up one of the top QBs in the draft. His biggest knock is mobility, but he's certainly capable of running (2 rushing TDs against LSU and 1 against Alabama)

I dont get the Jamie Newman love. He has shown flashes but he was very inconsistent at Wake Forest. I'd rather roll with Winston over Newman. There were reports he sat out last year because he couldn't win the starting job after transferring to Georgia.
"When Newman has time to throw, he has a decent feel for mechanical congruence. However, his mechanics start to collapse under pressure, and his mental process mirrors this inconsistency.

Newman’s eyes and progressions are a big issue. On rare occasions, the Wake Forest quarterback shows the ability to scan the field and process route development. But far too often, Newman locks onto his first target, keys in defenders with his stagnant eyes, and pulls the trigger anyway. Pre-play or mid-play, he doesn’t adapt often enough, and this makes him predictable and volatile.

Newman needs a great deal of improvement as a processor. Although growth is possible there, it’s not easy to develop at the NFL level, where things move even faster. Newman already clocks in a bit late on a lot of in-breaking throws, thus hindering receiver separation. And when he’s only “area accurate” and not a pinpoint precision passer, that only makes matters worse."
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jamie-newman-nfl-draft-player-profile-wake-forest-quarterback/

I believe we're not drafting a qb anymore.
We have 3 on the roster.

Siemian is on a reserve/future contract so there's no guaranteed money - he's completely expendable and presuming he remains PS eligible, it's easy to imagine the Saints drafting a QB (at some point in the draft) and keeping Trevor on the PS as a true emergency option.

This is where Taysom's utility role complicates things. With Brees, it was easy - have a traditional backup (like Teddy or Jameis) and that frees Taysom to play his utility role. We saw that when Brees was injured, Sean was far more conservative with Taysom (who was serving as the #2 behind Teddy or Jameis). But when the quality of the backup is much lower, will we still use Taysom to his full utility value?

With Taysom and Jameis effectively on one-year deals (Taysom has dead cap in 2022 but that's a conversation for after this season), I think the Saints are in a good position to draft a QB that isn't first-round caliber but that Sean really likes. There's no pressure to start right away and there's some good experience and leadership in the QB room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom