Avatar’s ReRelease or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love 2009) (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Didn’t see this anywhere, Avatar is rereleased right now. Mostly 3d showings with a few regular thrown in.
At this moment, Disney Plus has taken down the film while it’s back in theaters in anticipation of the sequel.
So I’m putting on my XLIV championship shirt and pretending it’s 2009 for three hours!

But on a serious note, I haven’t seen Avatar since it’s original release, so I’m intrigued about what I remember and how it holds up.

I watched Avatar in 3D at a theater in the Philippines when it was released, that was awesome. I watch Avatar at least 1-2 times a year.

I never understood the fuss over the movie. I wasn't impressed with it and as many have rightly pointed out, it was just a rehash of previous stories. However, with that said, there's no denying it had a huge box office performance and many people loved it. Not quite sure what I think of rereleasing a movie just before a sequel comes out, but it's for sure a legit strategy for promoting the new one. I'm sure the sequel will do amazing and between this and Top Gun, movie theaters will be pushing the "we're back" button as quickly as possible.

I never understood the fuss over the movie. I wasn't impressed with it and as many have rightly pointed out, it was just a rehash of previous stories. However, with that said, there's no denying it had a huge box office performance and many people loved it. Not quite sure what I think of rereleasing a movie just before a sequel comes out, but it's for sure a legit strategy for promoting the new one. I'm sure the sequel will do amazing and between this and Top Gun, movie theaters will be pushing the "we're back" button as quickly as possible.

Did you see it in 3D in theatres when it came out?

I liked it when it was called Dances with Wolves.
Most preferred when it was Pocahontas.

original.jpg

I liked it when it was called Dances with Wolves.
Dances with Wolves but in Space with a wink and metaphorical nod to dire, long-term effects of mid-late 19th century European imperialism, particularly in "Scramble for Africa" and Southeast Asia(Singapore, Hong Kong, Dutch East Indies, British East Indies, French Indochina, and "spheres of influence" in late Min Dynasty China in the late 19th/early turn of the 20th century China European nations, Japan, and USA carved up amongst themselves which led to a nativist, fierce uprising in 1900 Boxer Rebellion.

this. it wasn't a good movie. it wasn't a bad movie. it was just a movie. an expensive one

It was beautiful. I think expectations were misplaced for Avatar. It was never about the plot. Zoos, aquariums, and theme parks around the globe will have these beautiful amazingly shot 20 minutes films that they show in their IMAX theaters. They have no real plot, but usually a simple story to showcase the amazing visuals of penguins or sharks or landscape or whatever. Disney's Soaring ride comes to mind. You're enjoying the effect of gliding while seeing this beautiful scenery.

Avatar is this but done on a feature length cinematic level. It was beautifully done and showcased the latest boundaries of technology. Appreciate it for what it was. Recognize what it was. It was an exhibition of the advancement of 3D technology and visual world building.

And I think that's what get's a lot of people. They're concentrating on the plot when the plot wasn't the main objective of the movie. Some of my favorite comedies have giant plot holes, but because they are comedies, I understand that actual plot is not as important as the laughs.

Not quite sure what I think of rereleasing a movie just before a sequel comes out
They almost have to right now - I don't think the target audience for this film is as big as James Cameron seems to think, and who the hell outside of that target audience actually remembers this 13 year old movie?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom