Avatar: The Last AirBender was the best Cartoon show I've ever seen... (1 Viewer)

My daughter has binge watched The Dragon Prince on Netflix. I found myself watching many of the episodes with her. She asked me to look up when Season 4 is coming out and in doing so I learned that the show is by Aaron Ehasz, the head writer for Avatar: The Last Airbender.

It has very strong ratings and seemed well done from the few episodes I watched.

I don't know how many saw or are interested, but there are new developments with the avatar material

and more info/details on the first movie from the studio's official twitter

and some graphic novels announced

There is also a planned live-action avatar series or movie developed for netflix

Count me in! The story and imaging looks terrific, please let the writing and acting measure up! This could be a very good movie.

A wonderful series for @guidomerkinsrules to binge while he's gone.

While this adaptation isn't nearly to the level of LoTR, it's so far above Wheel of Time and Rings of Power you can't even see them from its lofty perch.

I think they missed an opportunity with Gyatso and a few of the animated episodes got mushed together, it's overall been a fun ride, true to the original spirit.

We just started watching the original. My son really likes it.

Is there anything this shows brings to the story that the animated series didn’t?

Is there anything this shows brings to the story that the animated series didn’t?
I'd say no.
My suggestion, watch The animated series, then the followup: The Legend of Korra, then maybe sometime later this live adaptation.

I'm enjoying this live action show. It moves at a faster pace, so depending on your son's age, I think the cartoon is the better starting point. It fleshes things out better.

The real difference I get here, without getting spoilery, is I think the live action can be more emotional at times. Seeing an actual kid cry and be in pain hits the feels harder than a cartoon. I also like this adaptation of Iroh. Again, there is more emotion and nuance to his style of avoiding the subject.

For added perspective, the animated series first season was 20 episodes. The live action is 8.

Of course, the run time for episodes of the cartoon was like 21 minutes. The live action is more like 40-60 min.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom