Avengers 4: Endgame - Trailers, excitement, spoiler free movie reactions, discussion (Note: Warning! Now with spoilers, no tags!) (2 Viewers)

I would only do it with a gauntlet lol.
tenor.gif

Watching the Avengers Infknity War again and I cant help but wonder, does Thanos have it right?

Nope. There are better ways of fixing the underlying "problem.

First of all half is an arbitrary number. Earth might be able to go with 3.5 billion people, but other places may need more population (Asgard?)

And what about all the places he already took half from by the sword? They lose another half.

But forget all that. Let's just discuss Earth. Let's further assume that we're better off with 3.5 billion people. By indiscriminately wiping out half, you're killing a lot more than half. What about the deaths from drivers and pilots vanishing and dooming their passengers? Parents killed dooming their babies/pets. The resulting famine and chaos, the anarchy and looting.

It's a crap plan formulated by the lowest form of thinking.

Here's something better. Sterilize half the population. Same result (one generation away). Or sterilize everyone and people can petition for "undoing" it by demonstrating financial/mental competence. Look, it's not perfect, or even good, but anything short of compete eradication is better than a random half.

Yeah, I'd say there are a lot of unintended consequences to wiping out half the population. A couple of thoughts though. One, while the snap wipes out half the population, I'm assuming there's an intelligence that takes those "side effects" and factors that into the equation. I.e. the snap only kills off half the population of those planets that need it. In other words, it's attempting to bring balance everywhere. The problem with that would be underpopulated planets, including those Thanos previously dealt with.

Arbitrarily wiping out half the universe doesn't seem very realistic in terms of accomplishing it's goal of bringing balance to the universe.

Wiping out half was a desperate measure that Thanos thought up when his world had already reached right before it's point of collapse (which he witnessed). I think him being stuck on that plan, despite all of it's pitfalls and consequences it what makes him a special kind of mad titan we all know and love. Thinking of it on those terms, I'm not sure Thanos thought too deeply into the consequences despite his great intellect. In RL terms, imho, It puts him in the Ted Kaczynski category of craziness. There's a couple of nuggets that strike a cord within the ideology but the methodology is both heinous and flawed but he can't see past the flaws with his need to act.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say there are a lot of unintended consequences to wiping out half the population. A couple of thoughts though. One, while the snap wipes out half the population, I'm assuming there's an intelligence that takes those "side effects" and factors that into the equation. I.e. the snap only kills off half the population of those planets that need it. In other words, it's attempting to bring balance everywhere. The problem with that would be underpopulated planets, including those Thanos previously dealt with.

Arbitrarily wiping out half the universe doesn't seem very realistic in terms of accomplishing it's goal of bringing balance to the universe.

Well, the problem with that was Thanos's own explanation. He wanted a system that was COMPLETELY equal, no regard for rich and poor. That seems to say it's a coin toss for every life form.

Well, the problem with that was Thanos's own explanation. He wanted a system that was COMPLETELY equal, no regard for rich and poor. That seems to say it's a coin toss for every life form.

Yeah, he did. I'm just throwing theories out there. Food for thought I guess.

It may not make all that much sense, but remember that his motivation for wiping out half of all life in the comics was that he wanted to bang Death and was trying to impress her. I like "extremist with an almost fundamentalist inability to deviate from his flawed plan" a bit better than "horny space emo."

It may not make all that much sense, but remember that his motivation for wiping out half of all life in the comics was that he wanted to bang Death and was trying to impress her. I like "extremist with an almost fundamentalist inability to deviate from his flawed plan" a bit better than "horny space emo."

I don't know. Doing something stupid to get laid makes a lot more sense than doing something stupid because you can't come up with anything better.

I don't know. Doing something stupid to get laid makes a lot more sense than doing something stupid because you can't come up with anything better.

Ultimately it would just be a remake of Porky's starring Thanos, which actually I was about to dismiss as stupid but now must admit I would very much watch.

You’d be surprised how motivating 72 virgins can be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom