Avengers 4: Endgame - Trailers, excitement, spoiler free movie reactions, discussion (Note: Warning! Now with spoilers, no tags!) (2 Viewers)

She's not talking about a decision that she WILL make in the future, she's talking about a decision she made in the past. There is no need to create an issue where none exists. She was talking about her choosing Dr. Strange for sorcerer supreme. "or I did". Did, past tense, not future. The fact that he gave the stone away made her question whether or not she made the right decision in choosing him but she ultimately decided to go along with his plan because she trusts her instincts. Did Dr. Strange make a mistake in giving Thanos the stone or did I make a mistake in choosing him as sorcerer supreme? That's what she's talking about and she decided to trust him and go along with the plan.
Splitting hairs just a bit here, I'm thinking more in terms of her giving Strange the stone because the time stone is a key element of the Sorcerer Supreme's power. Her mistake was giving him the stone, just like Strange giving the stone to Thanos was what Banner thought was the mistake. The "no I did" was saying giving the stone to Strange was the mistake. I do realize she's referring to her future, but she's talking about what she did in Banner's timeline, not her own, imo.

If you think back to it, when she gave Strange the stone the first time, even then there was some doubt leaving up to that.

That said, giving him the stone is essentially making him Sorcerer Supreme in practice even if not actually. I have to go back and watch again, but I do think at some point they state in so many words that they're two separate things.

Fwiw, I love how developed and intricate Marvel makes time travel. It's a fascinating concept. Like when Banner asks where Dr. Strange is, she says he's 5 years early. And I always liked how she explains the effect each decision regarding the infinity stones has. The demonstration was cool.

Last edited:
She's not talking about a decision that she WILL make in the future, she's talking about a decision she made in the past. There is no need to create an issue where none exists. She was talking about her choosing Dr. Strange for sorcerer supreme. "or I did". Did, past tense, not future. The fact that he gave the stone away made her question whether or not she made the right decision in choosing him but she ultimately decided to go along with his plan because she trusts her instincts. Did Dr. Strange make a mistake in giving Thanos the stone or did I make a mistake in choosing him as sorcerer supreme? That's what she's talking about and she decided to trust him and go along with the plan.
Her decision not to give Bruce the stone would still be past tense.

I scoured the internet looking for some official answer, but I didn’t see anything. Mostly just reddit posts that mirror this one, here’s a way too long post about it:

I'm probably overthinking it, but...

To me, the key phrase is when the Ancient One responds to Banner saying "Maybe he made a mistake".

She says - "Or I did."

Then, and only then, does she give him the stone.

I think that buried in the 14M+ scenarios that DR. Strange has augured there are thousands, if not millions of versions of the timeline where Thanos takes the Time stone from Strange by force and snaps... yada yada, and then the Avengers go through with the time heist to recover the stones anyway. Spolier: It's clear from Across the Spider-Verse that time/space/dimensional GPS is a thing, and regardless of Tony's survival, I would think the Avengers would have eventually figured out time travel in some way.

And in every one of those time heists, when Hulk gets to that moment with the Ancient One, she refuses to give him the stone. No matter what - she sticks to her oath. Consider - in her mind, Thanos beat Strange and took the stone and snapped. There is no f'ing way she's giving it up - look what happened! And she's way too powerful for Hulk, and so they never get that stone and they fail.

She made a mistake in all those other timelines, and the cost is everything.

Strange giving away the stone is a brilliant move: he trades it for Tony's life and signals to the Ancient One that giving it away is the key to their ultimate success. But this only happens in the timeline where he gives it away. "So he must have done it for a reason."

The multiverse would still contain the 14M+ other outcomes, unless they were trimmed by the TVA .

Anyway - probably way more thought than should be spent on these things, but I so appreciated this choice of words, and Tilda's face during the scene is such masterful acting.

Her decision not to give Bruce the stone would still be past tense.

I scoured the internet looking for some official answer, but I didn’t see anything. Mostly just reddit posts that mirror this one, here’s a way too long post about it:
Count me in the crowd that says y'all are overthinking it and it's as simple as I've already said. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd bet money that I'm not.

I have a separate question. maybe it was answered many pages ago.
when they snapped all the people back, wouldn't that cause a global issue with food supplies and housing?

I have a separate question. maybe it was answered many pages ago.
when they snapped all the people back, wouldn't that cause a global issue with food supplies and housing?
They were getting at some of that in TFATWS and the flag smashers - I wish they would have focused on the story a bit more

They were getting at some of that in TFATWS and the flag smashers - I wish they would have focused on the story a bit more

If I remember correctly, they were going to but then one of the major themes they were going to use to examine the supply chain and shortages was a global pandemic and access to vaccines. Because of COVID, these storylines were dialed down for obvious reasons. That's what I remember hearing. Which is why we got very vague references to the goals of the flag smashers and the problems they were trying to deal with within their own numbers.

Edit: While we're on the subject, I think it's important to mention...

Screenshot_20230805_223149_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, they've dealt with it or touched on it a few times post Endgame. There were a few other spots as well. I don't recall them off the top of my head tho.

If I remember correctly, they were going to but then one of the major themes they were going to use to examine the supply chain and shortages was a global pandemic and access to vaccines. Because of COVID, these storylines were dialed down for obvious reasons. That's what I remember hearing. Which is why we got very vague references to the goals of the flag smashers and the problems they were trying to deal with within their own numbers.

Edit: While we're on the subject, I think it's important to mention...

Screenshot_20230805_223149_Chrome.jpg
What about her? Am I supposed to know what you mean?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom