Avengers 4: Endgame - Trailers, excitement, spoiler free movie reactions, discussion (Note: Warning! Now with spoilers, no tags!) (3 Viewers)

Look, I know there are people who just don't get or don't want to get what I'm saying, but if you read the Bible and know the story of Noah, then you watch a biblical movie and Noah constructs a life raft and saves a Pekingese and a goat, it would be upsetting.

?

Look, I know there are people who just don't get or don't want to get what I'm saying, but if you read the Bible and know the story of Noah, then you watch a biblical movie and Noah constructs a life raft and saves a Pekingese and a goat, it would be upsetting.
It depends on how many different writers have handled the character. Comics are far more fluid than people think. To just think these characters have one definitive version is a little naive. Creative teams take over after another, retcon, change parts of that character, their origin, etc. These creations have been updated and revised over decades of storytelling. My Flash will always be Wally West. My Hulk will always be Joe Fixit or Merged Hulk. My Spider-Man doesn't wear an iron suit with an AI in his ear. I have a friend who considers his Thor Thunderstrike. You can be upset that Endgame didn't have your favorite version of Thor or Hulk, but it doesn't mean they shirt on the characters as a whole.

The Noah comparison doesnt work because there is pretty much a single accepted version of that story, whereas with any long running comic character you have countless plot lines and types of characterizations to pull from spanning decades from innumerable artists and writers. There is no singular version of any Marvel or DC character that has been around long enough.

It depends on how many different writers have handled the character. Comics are far more fluid than people think. To just think these characters have one definitive version is a little naive. Creative teams take over after another, retcon, change parts of that character, their origin, etc. These creations have been updated and revised over decades of storytelling. My Flash will always be Wally West. My Hulk will always be Joe Fixit or Merged Hulk. My Spider-Man doesn't wear an iron suit with an AI in his ear. I have a friend who considers his Thor Thunderstrike. You can be upset that Endgame didn't have your favorite version of Thor or Hulk, but it doesn't mean they shirt on the characters as a whole.
No one said one version. It is essentially part of the character. It's a bit myopic to ignore that. If you watched a movie about the Flash and they made him only as fast as a cheetah, it would be safe to say they missed the mark. You guys are trying really hard to miss a basic premise. In fact, you're trying harder to not understand than it would take to simply understand. But I'm reading Hulk fans from all over who get it plainly. I get it, they get it, some of you don't WANT to get it but it's extremely simple.

Just like when fans were miffed at the initial portrayal of Deadpool in the Wolverine movie. They were extremely put off. The movie studios missed the mark and botched the character. True fans understood it. It took an almost miraculous effort and a groundswell of fans loving a better version of Deadpool in an animated short to get the studios to greenlight it.

Last edited:
No one said one version. It is essentially part of the character. It's a bit myopic to ignore that. If you watched a movie about the Flash and they made him only as fast as a cheetah, it would be safe to say they missed the mark. You guys are trying really hard to miss a basic premise. In fact, you're trying harder to not understand than it would take to simply understand. But I'm reading Hulk fans from all over who get it plainly. I get it, they get it, some of you don't WANT to get it but it's extremely simple.

Just like when fans were miffed at the initial portrayal of Deadpool in the Wolverine movie. They were extremely put off. The movie studios missed the mark and botched the character. True fans understood it. It took an almost miraculous effort and a groundswell of fans loving a better version of Deadpool in an animated short to get the studios to greenlight it.
Those versions of the characters never existed in the source material. There is a difference.

Also, who's Hulk run did you read? I'm just curious. I admit I only read in late 80s/early 90s.

Other people get it and are actually writing articles about it.

On a surface level, the problem can be oversimplified this way: Hulk no smash. A character we’ve loved for over a decade for being a perfect engine of destruction kicks precisely zero a$$ for the final six hours of the Infinity Saga. He never gets a moment to shine doing what he does best. Banner’s smarts and charm are on full display, sure, and yeah, he gets to hold up the really heavy debris of Avengers HQ. But, all due respect to the very likable Mark Ruffalo, fans have been waiting to see the Other Guy wreck some folks since the end of Thor: Ragnarok. Denying them that for the entirety of the final two movies in favor of Banner's comic technobabble is like a Superman movie in which the bad guy is brought down not by Superman’s awesome power, but by a really solid piece of reporting by Clark Kent.

Hasn't Joe and Anthony Russo or Markus and McFeely ever read a Hulkcomic? Don't they know that the Hulk has one huge mother-grabbin' healing factor that even rival's that of Wolverine? The latest Hulk series has the Hulk come back from getting chopped into pieces! (Immortal Hulk, it's really good!) Or that the madder the Hulk gets the stronger he gets, and the faster his healing factor works?!

Now I suppose you could argue that the Hulk's arm was damaged as a result of the cosmic radiation from the Infinity Gauntlet, but permanent andirreversible damage? I'm not buying that, and I certainly hope that one day someone comes into the MCU who is a Hulk fan and does justice to the character. I would shoot back at Joe Russo that since Spider-Man is your favorite character, something you had a hand in developing and even casting Tom Holland, how would you feel if they nerf'd your favorite character? How would you feel if they bastageized all the concepts surrounding Spidey? Come on!

Other people get it and are actually writing articles about it.

Written by people who only know the character from it's most recent run and they just Wiki the rest.

Bad comparison.

Fox just named a character Deadpool. There was nothing Deadpool about him. This would as if the MCU named a regular looking guy Hulk and didn't make him strong, green or angry. That didn't happen. We got a Hulk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom