Avery Young: Possible Right Guard Solution? (1 Viewer)

Between him and Landon Turner, it'll be interesting to see how this develops going forward. With luck, Armstead's injury woes are behind us. Landon Turner becomes our LG. Unger keeps being a rock at center. Young steps in at RG. And Peat finally figures out how to be a RT.

Otherwise we have a situation at LT. Peat and Armstead seem both quite capable at holding serve over there.

WalterFootball.com: Why Undrafted?: Avery Young

Over the past few years, Auburn has featured a steady ground attack that has consistently produced NFL offensive linemen and tailbacks. Last season, the Tigers had two quality tackles in Shon Coleman and Avery Young. In speaking with sources, they had Coleman graded as a mid-rounder and felt that Young was a quality talent to be a selection in the early rounds of Day 3 of the 2016 NFL Draft; however, Young went undrafted.

Sources said the reason that Young wasn't selected was because of his medical status. Some team doctors flunked Young medically, which negated the draftable grade that scouts had given him. Teams like his skill set, but apparently the medical evaluation was too risky for a team to select Young.

After going undrafted, Young signed with the New Orleans Saints, which was an excellent choice on his part. Under head coach Sean Payton, the Saints have had a ton of success with developing offensive linemen who weren't highly drafted. That was the case with guards Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks. Young (6-4, 328) has good size, but he has short arms (33.75 inches) for a tackle, which could have hurt him. Still, Young does have good size to play guard and the Saints are in need of some young answers at the position after moving on from Evans and Ben Grubbs over the past two offseasons. Tim Lelito, Cyril Lemon and Senio Kelemete are competing at guard, but none of them are of the caliber of Evans, Nicks or Grubbs. Thus, Young has a real opportunity with the Saints. It wouldn't be surprising if he made the roster as a backup and grew in his role from there.

Sounds like he could be a possible contributor on the right side of the line next year. I wonder what his NFI is since it was never disclosed during or after the draft and kept him off even the practice field for the majority of the year.

I remember reading the article in the OP back towards the end of November and could have sworn we had a thread on it, but I guess I just read it somewhere else. Good find and worthy discussion for the makeup of what we need to do in FA and the draft while considering who's already on the roster - Young/Turner as possible OG players for next season.

I don't think we can rely on an UDFA who's never played in the NFL and has been injured. It would be nice if he turns into something. but he wasn't drafted for a reason. maybe he develops into a Lelito or a Kelemente. But the odds are against it. We have to address this area in the draft or free agency.

i think the Peat to RT is dead topic, in the article Young said he has been at RT some (not sure when that was)

I don't think we can rely on an UDFA who's never played in the NFL and has been injured. It would be nice if he turns into something. but he wasn't drafted for a reason. maybe he develops into a Lelito or a Kelemente. But the odds are against it. We have to address this area in the draft or free agency.

He wasn't drafted because he couldn't pass a physical. He was projected as a 5th rounder. We essentially got a fifth round pick as an UDFA because we were willing to wait on him to heal and recover from his undisclosed non-football injury before seeing him on the field.

We won't know anything until rookie camp starts. At least he was able to get back on the practice field this year, so the team has something of an idea as to where he is in the rehab process of getting back into football shape.

He wasn't drafted because he couldn't pass a physical. He was projected as a 5th rounder. We essentially got a fifth round pick as an UDFA because we were willing to wait on him to heal and recover from his undisclosed non-football injury before seeing him on the field.

We won't know anything until rookie camp starts. At least he was able to get back on the practice field this year, so the team has something of an idea as to where he is in the rehab process of getting back into football shape.

Yeah, he was projected in the 4th -5th round (some had him as him as 3rd round).

Hard to say... Strief was a 7th rounder

I just hope one of those 2 can be our next RG. Young seems to be a good fit. That NFI was why we got him as undrafted and I'm ok with that since he essentially red shorted for a year. Getting a RG And RT was going to prove difficult in this off season.
I see these 2 as big or even a bigger need than the defensive needs.
Call me crazy but the offense starts up front. Without a solid O-line the offense struggles on the ground and passing attack. Defense is on the field more and we know what happens then.

i think the Peat to RT is dead topic, in the article Young said he has been at RT some (not sure when that was)

I disagree , ZS's play and health has been a pleasant surprise this yr , While our talent at OG was lacking (although JE played pretty well) I think the idea was to put the 5 best OL on the field , that meant AP @LG. When ZS quits or his play falls off a lot I think the idea is still to put AP at RT, but give him a full off season to play NOTHING but RT. That's why and JE uncertain future I think we will upgrade the OG position to have that flexibility

I'm really curious to see the draft boards around April. Feels like we going 1A Pass Rusher and 1B Oline

Would be great to have the future right side of our O-line already on the team, already being seasoned.

Would be great to have the future right side of our O-line already on the team, already being seasoned.

We just might have. I don't see why we couldn't try Avery Young at RT and Landon Turner at RG during OTA's, Mini-Camps and TC. If it works out we can keep Peat at LG and we could keep Streif & Evans as back ups.

I'm 1000 percent fine with Peat sticking at LG. We needed a new one anyway and I don't care if he was the 13th selection in round 1 we got our LG for the next decade. Now if Armstead gets and stays healthy and Avery Young takes over at RG all we will need besides depth is a new RT within the next 2-3 years and after that possibly a new C depending on how Unger holds up. We're really close to having our O-Line set.

Between him and Landon Turner, it'll be interesting to see how this develops going forward. With luck, Armstead's injury woes are behind us. Landon Turner becomes our LG. Unger keeps being a rock at center. Young steps in at RG. And Peat finally figures out how to be a RT.

Otherwise we have a situation at LT. Peat and Armstead seem both quite capable at holding serve over there.

I don't see a situation. Armstead - Peat - Unger - ??? - Strief = Profit

If Armstead isn't healthy or (not popular) he is traded, Peat steps in and we need to find 2 OGs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom