Awesome SI Archive Site for Saints (Enjoy!) (1 Viewer)

NCSaint

Who can find the coolest article???...(now edited to straight to the Saints hopefully)
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn....ns_Saints/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/mdd/index.htm

Here is the first one I am reading now.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081889/2/index.htm

Abramowicz has been a stunning surprise. A 17th-round draft choice for the 1967 season, he was not expected to make the team. Before one preseason road trip he asked Owen at what hour the plane would leave. "You'll probably be cut before then," Owen said bluntly. "So what will happen if you cut me and I won't go away?" countered Abramowicz. He wound up leading the team with 50 receptions and is leading again this year with 44. "He catches the ball on his knees, behind his back, anyplace," Kilmer says.

and this gem...

But where the Saints have most impressed the NFL has been at the ticket windows. In their first season the Saints drew an average of more than 75,000 fans to Tulane Stadium, site of the Sugar Bowl. That average is holding up again this year, even though it has rained on four of the six home-game days. And what exuberant fans they are Last year's Dallas game was delayed more than 10 minutes because of the noise the crowd made demonstrating against an official's call.
"It sounded like we were inside a washing machine," says Dallas' Pete Gent. Against Chicago last week, with Mecom pacing the sideline and Owen marching about with a clipboard, looking more like a coach than some of the coaches, 78,225 people turned out despite early rain and late fog to watch the Saints lose.

and I will never forgive Bum for getting rid of Archie.

"Ever since last season ended," he says, "the number one question people ask me is, 'Why don't you leave? Why don't you get out of here?' It's kind of hard to explain. I've put in 10 years here, this team, this city. My kids are happy in school here, my wife is happy in New Orleans. Sure I want to win, but I want to win here, in this city."
<!--endclickprintinclude-->

Last edited by a moderator:
Best one of Archie

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124544/1/index.htm

"Coaches, players, they come and go so fast around here. I have this way of memorizing phone numbers. I'll remember the first three digits and then use players' jersey numbers to help me recall the last four. Like 522-4210, that's 522, Charlie Conerly, Fran Tarkenton. Or 3203, that's O.J. Simpson, Daryle Lamonica. I used to do it with Saints' players, but I was dialing wrong numbers, getting things screwed up because my teammates kept changing so often.

--At Ole Miss--

Georgia, the sixth-ranked team in the country, knocked him out in the first half, but he sprinted back into action in the third quarter and led the Rebels to victory. When the crowd saw him returning to the field from the dressing room with a towel over his head, it let out a roar, and Governor John Bell Williams, who was just then coming back to his seat, smiled and waved, figuring it was for him.

"He dominates a college game better than Joe Namath," said Bear Bryant. "He just may be the best there ever was," said LSU Coach Charley McClendon after Manning completed 10 passes in a row in Ole Miss' 26-23 upset of the Tigers.

--

A Baton Rouge attorney filed a suit in federal district court, seeking an injunction to prevent Manning from "further harassment" of the LSU team.
<!--endclickprintinclude-->

Last edited by a moderator:
November 12, 1979
Look who's marching in
After 12 dismal seasons, the Saints have finally discovered the road to victory

Good afternoon," said the stewardess over the intercom last Saturday as the New Orleans Saints' charter prepared to take off for Denver. "We'd like to welcome aboard the leaders of the NFC West." At this unexpected greeting, a gasp was heard from the back of the plane—the sort of amazed, self-congratulatory noise one makes when he manages to balance his checkbook for the first time. Small wonder. For the first time in history, the Saints were the sole leaders of the NFC West.

That's right, folks, the New Orleans Saints, Pete Rozelle's entry in Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour, a team that until a few weeks ago hadn't led the NFL in anything except squandered first draft choices, fired head coaches and consecutive losing seasons, 12. Looking at it another way, the Saints had a perfect record—12 losing seasons in their 12 NFL seasons. Now, as they flew to Denver, the Saints sported a 5-4 record and a surprising one-game lead over the once-mighty Los Angeles Rams.

National Football Conference National Football League New Orleans Saints - SI Vault

very cool. I like this bit of esoterica
He is very big on balloons and pigeons. "I feel this need to have a lot of pigeons," Walker says. "A lady came up to me the other day and wanted to know how I get all those pigeons back into their cages on Sunday night."

bumping for the weekend crew.

Man I can get lost in reading all of these articles.

Nope that's David Dr. Saints facility. Across from the sweet smelling Jefferson Parish garbage incinerator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom