Baby shot in head by 2 kids. (merged - 2 suspects arrested) (1 Viewer)

If this kid lived to see 80 which should be a relatively short lifespan 50 years from now, it will cost the taxpayer $6.12 million to house him in a max security prison for life (using average annual cost of max security prison).

The average cost of a death penalty case through execution is $1.26 million.

The only reason the cost of a death penalty case is so high is all the checks and balances, legal fees and measures to prevent the execution of an innocent person.

I'm not saying he should be put to death and I'm not quite sure how anyone could at this point. No witnesses, no videos, no evidence or anything else has been released. However, in crimes in which the person admits guilt or there is clear video of the crime taking place or multiple reliable eye witnesses and testimony combined with other key evidence there is no reason a person being put up for the death penalty shouldn't be drug out the courtroom and executed for a couple bucks, wrapped in garbage bags and buried as cheaply as possible unless the family of the person is willing to pay for funeral expenses.

On the other end of the argument, if prosecutors can't meet a case with exceptional evidence the death penalty shouldn't even be considered.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from.

To execute or not: A question of cost? - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News

Death Penalty*:*The High Cost of the Death Penalty

Kids today amaze me. I see so many things working in an ER that baffle me when it comes to teens today. There is a sense of self entitlement and a lack of empathy for anyone. I truly believe kids today do not value life, or at the very least, can not seem to grasp mortality. It's like they believe there is a reset button or that they have 3 more lives left in the game.

Respect is a joke among most of them. And these aren't city kids or gang kids or even kids of a minority. These are mainly white, middle class, small town kids from what appears to be normal homes. I can honestly say, I have never heard them address any of the staff by "Yes Sir or Yes Ma'am or Doctor" instead it's " hey you" or "Man" or "Dude" or some other way that would have gotten me smacked by my mother if she heard me address my friends that way, let alone an adult trying to help me.

I realize every older generation states that the younger one is worse then they were, but can any other generation other then ours state that the younger one has so many kids killing and committing such heinous crimes as the generation today does?

My grandpa notes the world's worn cogs
And says we're going to the dogs.
His grandpa in his house of logs
Said things were going to the dogs.
His grandpa in the Flemish bogs
His grandpa in his hairy togs
But this is what I wish to state:
The dogs have had an awful wait.

This is a common thing in carjackings. I remember reading stories over the years where a gun was pointed at a child, baby or wife so the man being carjacked wouldn't fight back.

This is a common thing in carjackings. I remember reading stories over the years where a gun was pointed at a child, baby or wife so the man being carjacked wouldn't fight back.

It's terrible to point a gun at a child or anyone for that matter as a bluff. Pulling the trigger is "off the charts different"!!

My grandpa notes the world's worn cogs
And says we're going to the dogs.
His grandpa in his house of logs
His grandpa in the Flemish bogs
His grandpa in his hairy togs
But this is what I wish to state:
The dogs have had an awful wait.

They were all correct

Kids today amaze me. I see so many things working in an ER that baffle me when it comes to teens today. There is a sense of self entitlement and a lack of empathy for anyone. I truly believe kids today do not value life, or at the very least, can not seem to grasp mortality. It's like they believe there is a reset button or that they have 3 more lives left in the game.

Respect is a joke among most of them. And these aren't city kids or gang kids or even kids of a minority. These are mainly white, middle class, small town kids from what appears to be normal homes. I can honestly say, I have never heard them address any of the staff by "Yes Sir or Yes Ma'am or Doctor" instead it's " hey you" or "Man" or "Dude" or some other way that would have gotten me smacked by my mother if she heard me address my friends that way, let alone an adult trying to help me.

I realize every older generation states that the younger one is worse then they were, but can any other generation other then ours state that the younger one has so many kids killing and committing such heinous crimes as the generation today does?

I don't know what the difference is if they were minority. If they were vietnamese or puerto rican, would it make sense that they were so violent? Would their teenagers being disrespectful make more sense to you?

I think a lot of the misconceptions come from the idea that there was a golden age (lets say the 1950's) when we were all wholesome white people who held doors for people and picked up handkerchiefs.

That era we were coming out of one of the bloodiest events in recorded human history. So many soldiers who actually came back suffered mental anguish (the ones that survived), and many who were unfortunately injured returned with serious morphine addictions. We were living in fear of nuclear war and annihilation, racism was rampant, spousal abuse and alchoholism were rampant.

I wonder if Jack Kerouac, Allan Ginsberg and Neal Cassady had twitter and instagram, how the world would have reacted to them? In the height of the supposedly wholesome 50's you have these white teens hitching across the US experimenting with drugs and multiple male and female sex partners. These men came to personify the beat generation. A freedom that gave countries like the czech republic hope. Personifications of the free american male. I have an idea since Ginsberg's howl was seen as being legally obscene and homosexual acts were considered sodomy and illegal.

People look at lindsay lohan with disgust, our heroes of the 50's and 60's make her and britney spears look like girl scouts. They just didn't have cell phones, instagram, twitter, Facebook or any of the means we have now to instantly embarrass ourselves. just because you didn't hear about the disrespect every second on TMZ doesn't mean it didn't exist back then.

Now there's just more accountability.

I heard today on the radio that both the juvenile (14) and the adult (17) were indicted WED. The 14 year old is being charged as an adult. Im not very familar with juvenile convictions so ive done some research. I have found that in Georgia no person under the age of 18 can be given the death sentence. Trying to confirm at this time.

Im not very familar with juvenile convictions so ive done some research. I have found that in Georgia no person under the age of 18 can be given the death sentence. Trying to confirm at this time.

I read the same in a news article. Also, the mother and aunt of one of the defendants were arrested for giving false statements to police.

Sherry West's daughter has expressed suspicion about her mother's account, though from the couple of news items I've seen, she isn't specific. She does claim her mother suffers from mental illness.

I'd also read somewhere that both the mother and the baby's father were tested for gun powder residue and the results came back negative.

http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2253842604001

Sherry West's story questioned by daughter after baby killed

7:48 AM, Mar 26, 2013

BRUNSWICK, Fla. (FIRST COAST NEWS)-- As the investigation into the shooting death of a 13-month-old Brunswick toddler continues, some people are beginning to question the mother who's child was shot and killed during a morning walk.

The daughter of Sherry West, Ashley Glassey, said she does not want to falsely accuse anyone but she wants the truth.

Glassey, 21, lives in New Jersey and said her mother lost custody of her when she was 8. She said she has forgiven her mom and has spoken to her every day since Thursday's shooting but said some of her mother's responses have her concerned.

Sherry West's story questioned by daughter after baby killed | ksdk.com

Ok, apparently she was the source for the negative residue test.

CNN [...]Immediately after the shooting, detectives searched her home for a gun and conducted gun residue tests on both her and the baby's father, West said, adding that the tests were negative and the search did not turn up a gun.

Citing the ongoing investigation, police spokesman Todd Rhodes declined to comment when asked about the search and those tests.

West also said she relinquished a jacket she was wearing at the time of the shooting to a detective. She told police she was grabbed or shoved briefly by the suspected shooter, and they hope to lift a fingerprint off the jacket, she said.

Mom to teenage son accused of shooting baby: 'I love you' - CNN.com

When found, a bullet in the head would put the convicted away for good. Their life means nothing.

Ok, apparently she was the source for the negative residue test.

CNN [...]Immediately after the shooting, detectives searched her home for a gun and conducted gun residue tests on both her and the baby's father, West said, adding that the tests were negative and the search did not turn up a gun.

Citing the ongoing investigation, police spokesman Todd Rhodes declined to comment when asked about the search and those tests.

West also said she relinquished a jacket she was wearing at the time of the shooting to a detective. She told police she was grabbed or shoved briefly by the suspected shooter, and they hope to lift a fingerprint off the jacket, she said.

Mom to teenage son accused of shooting baby: 'I love you' - CNN.com

seems like this investigation should be further along. If she has schizophrenic tendencies then it seems like she would have done something stupid to implicate her more directly or the younger kid would have spilled the beans on the older kid and/or mom. I just don't think both kids could hold up under separate interrogation if they know anything at all.

A mother and sister of one of the suspects have been arrested . They helped dispose of or hide the weapon used in the shooting. Also a city commissioner has been charged with interfering with witnesses for telling the family of the suspects to not talkk to police.

I don't get this, evidence is starting to pile up that leads you to believe these kids did this crime and your gonna give them Advice to help get away with the crime.

Sherry West had previously claimed that gunshot residue tests were negative for her and the baby's father, Louis Santiago.

Antonio Santiago Update: Gunshot residue found on slain Ga. baby's parents, report says

(CBS) BRUNSWICK, Ga. - The father and mother of Antonio Santiago, the 13-month-old baby who was allegedly fatally shot in Brunswick, Ga. by two teens in March, had gunshot residue on them the day their son was killed, according to the state's forensic report obtained by CBS affiliate WTEV.

While the fact that Sherry West, the baby's mother, was also shot during her son's killing could explain why residue was found on her, it is unclear how or why the baby's father, Louis Santiago, would have been exposed to gunshot residue.

[...]

According to the station, West says it is plausible that she would have gunshot residue on her because she was, in fact, shot. She also says it may be possible that the baby's father came into contact with the residue when he saw her at the hospital.

Police have not named Sherry West or Louis Santiago suspects in their son's murder.

Antonio Santiago Update: Gunshot residue found on slain Ga. baby's parents, report says - Crimesider - CBS News

It's also reported in the article that the relationship between West and Santiago has become strained, with him allegedly accusing her of killing their baby.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom