Back-to-school season begins with an unprecedented 'catastrophic' teacher shortage (1 Viewer)

My son started school, 8th grade, yesterday. He doesn't have a math teacher yet. All they have in that class right now is a teaching asst.
I guess this is a good time for a promotion?

If you think it is bad now, wait until school really gets in full swing and teachers are dealing with oversized classrooms and covid kicks in again this fall while teacher unions start realizing the insane amount of leverage they have.

It's not just teachers, support staff as well, including bus drivers. St Tammany has a major staff shortage right now.

well to kinda piggy back off the "drivers"

I just received a quote for a gentleman who has a 12 pax van - he will transport kids to/from private school ( in New Orleans ) . for $500,000 liabiliy/UM limits- $39,000~/yr

ill repeat that- THIRTY NINE THOUSAND per year.

Now, its probably a bit less in St Tammany, but it wouldnt be THAT much less.

Welcome to Louisiana. We have long had an insurance cost crisis for commercial auto. But this pricing caught me completely off guard. I had to reply to my underwriter and was " so THIS is where we are in Louisiana" .

her reply " yes sir"

my son is starting 6th grade. and i was informed today the middle school has ZERO buses and all parents will have to drop off and pick up.

i found this out because I called needing to switch his afternoon bus, i havent heard this officially from his school or the school board. so the other 800 kids dont know either, unless their parents called.

tomorrow and friday will be a cluster....

well to kinda piggy back off the "drivers"

I just received a quote for a gentleman who has a 12 pax van - he will transport kids to/from private school ( in New Orleans ) . for $500,000 liabiliy/UM limits- $39,000~/yr

ill repeat that- THIRTY NINE THOUSAND per year.

Now, its probably a bit less in St Tammany, but it wouldnt be THAT much less.

Welcome to Louisiana. We have long had an insurance cost crisis for commercial auto. But this pricing caught me completely off guard. I had to reply to my underwriter and was " so THIS is where we are in Louisiana" .

her reply " yes sir"

Hard to believe you have time to deal with any of this, what with the Egg Roll House monopolizing all ur time .

We are going to be a 3rd world country in my lifetime.

I realize ur probably talking about the US as a whole, but in re to NOLA- i have long subscribed to the philosophy that says in order to really enjoy living in New Orleans, the key isnt to think of it as a poorly-run American city.. but to think of it as a really well-run 3rd world (or Caribbean) city. (y)

Without any statistical merit, I've noticed over the last 5-10 years, less and less young women are taking up teaching as a career path (at least in my general community). I even tried to steer my daughter into that field (mostly due to summers and holidays off), but she was not interested. More and more young women are headed into health care related fields.

I'd be curious to see if this is real or perceived. If I had to guess, enrollment in education is down. Maybe not significantly, but down some.

Not to comment on the gender part of the question, but more to the general issue, I saw yesterday that the number of new teaching certifications between 2017 and 2022 was substantially lower than the previous five years.

This suggests that while Covid and the new micromanaging of teacher viewpoint and curriculum are big disincentives, the trend is broader than that. I think compensation - or at least degree of compensation relative to the expectation has to be seen as the primary factor.

Hard to believe you have time to deal with any of this, what with the Egg Roll House monopolizing all ur time .

even harder to believe is he has been my client since 2007.

15 years. Crazy.

I have 4 years to somehow talk my child out of her degree she starts pursuing next week ( Education BA/Graduate degree ). I just know that she is dead set on teaching History. Her 9th grade teacher, Mr. Faucheux, left an indelible impression on her and she knew then she wanted to teach History.

Maybe, just maybe, in 5 years, the whole situation around teaching ( pay, retention etc ) will have flipped and she will enter into a career that she not only loves, but will be compensated for the work, effort and love put in.

Her options are to work in a high income county, move into administration, teach college, or marry well.

Her options are to work in a high income county, move into administration, teach college, or marry well.
Yeah she should probably plan to keep going and get the Master's degree. At least here in Texas, it opens up higher compensation(though not life changing), and the opportunity to move into administration. Most of the people employed in the upper levels of admin have Ph.d's as well. I don't know how that works anywhere else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom