Back-to-school season begins with an unprecedented 'catastrophic' teacher shortage (1 Viewer)

*AFFECT

(which i guess proves ur point lol)
I still swear this was different in the 80s
I remembered (and assumed was taught) to think of affect like affection- an emotion (you put on an affect)
Whereas effect was to cause a change
Somehow someway that got all higgedly piggedly

Maybe it is by design. Less educated students make less educated future voters.
There’s no maybe about it - liberal arts/humanities have been there targets for decades
There’s also a smaller faction that wants/needs to steer the majority of youth into armed services and low wage jobs
But the attack on ‘eggheads’ is as old as the country

I remembered (and assumed was taught) to think of affect like affection- an emotion (you put on an affect)

I think the unitards you wore in the 80s may have cut off the blood circulation to ur brain . 😬

I only know the difference b/c my 5th grade teacher (in the 80s) was a grammar nazi - RIP Mrs Leblanc… The ‘effect’ youre thinking of is more like if someone says “The Rev Martin Luther King effected a great deal of change in the civil rights era” .. whereas in the context of the post i quoted and gently ribbed Orion about, it should be ‘affect.’

They have a PAC here and basically own our school boards. The money discrepancy in campaign money between them and other candidates will leave your mouth agape.

We tried to run a college professor with a PhD in education against one last election cycle, and are running a guy that teaches high school during the day and is a college professor in the evening against one this cycle.

And they do this all in the name of Jesus.

And people vote for them in droves.

One of the reasons im thinking of leaving America for good.. im tired of having the religious zealots in charge .. but if i do that, then they win.. oh well, at least id have peace of mind .

Maybe it is by design. Less educated students make less educated future voters.

There’s no maybe about it - liberal arts/humanities have been there targets for decades
There’s also a smaller faction that wants/needs to steer the majority of youth into armed services and low wage jobs
But the attack on ‘eggheads’ is as old as the country
And don't forget about the undeniable push to privatize education. That's where the big bucks will be. Education is, and has been for a while, moving toward becoming a money making business. As we've discussed in the Education / Teaching thread, I can't imagine going to college in education now.

And don't forget about the undeniable push to privatize education. That's where the big bucks will be. Education is, and has been for a while, moving toward becoming a money making business. As we've discussed in the Education / Teaching thread, I can't imagine going to college in education now.
So not only do I make an affect/effect mistake, but a their/there one as well?
Teachers suck

I explained all this in the affect/effect thread, and people got offended that the rules they thought were bulletproof were very much not.

Without thinking about it hard, I don't mind the Arizona plan to allow college students teach, so long as it is consistent with the substitute teacher rules. In Michigan, I know you needed like 90 credits to be a sub. Meaning, you finishes your 3rd year or Junior sequence.

I think there has been gross over certification. Forcing teachers to get masters within a certain time frame has always seemed silly. And overkill.

Just like some states over constrain social work. In AZ, if you get your masters in social work you then have to get an MSW license to be able to use your education and work towards your clinical license, LCSW. In Florida, you can just work with your masters, but if you want your LCSW, you just register. No early test. You're supervised. AZ is the same, except you have to take a teat and pay like $600, and I don't think you can just use your masters with no intention of clinical. You need your MSW cert.... beyond the degree.
All of that to make 40K

I noticed one of the counties in MS was Madison....I can see that plainly. If you've ever been to Madison, you'd understand.
Madison is the middle upper class version. The rest of the state is the poor redneck variety. Never underestimate the great lengths a poor white person is willing to go in order to vote against their best interest when a flag of some sort is involved in the rhetoric.

Madison is the middle upper class version. The rest of the state is the poor redneck variety. Never underestimate the great lengths a poor white person is willing to go in order to vote against their best interest when a flag of some sort is involved in the rhetoric.

North LA comes to mind.

My kids still have a lot more school to go through in this district. I'm nervous the loons will run off the good teachers before they get through.

I feel like I should run for school board on the "loon" ticket and then just about-face once I get in. But man, that's a slog of a job and for no money. Maybe that's why sane people don't want to do it.

Last edited:
I had no idea this had become such a major issue. I can't imagine what will happen without proper bus service in many areas. We would not have been able to get to school growing up as it was very rural and both parents had to work.

My wife was a teacher in the mid/late 2000's for 3 years. And that was all she could take. It was totally messed up and the pay was garbage.

A bunch of students failed her course and she gave them F's. The administration changed the grades all to C's just to keep the kids moving through the system. It was a very low income area and a very poor school. they were just basically printing diplomas for anyone who stuck around for 12 years.

I will never understand this:

Low standardized test scores at a school = let's PUNISH the school by cutting their budget so they have to cut teachers. Whaaaaat??? Doesnt that mean that school and area needs more investment, not less????

Her final year was at a much better school. While it was a better school the whole system was just so screwed up that she couldn't take it anymore. I don't blame her for leaving. Between the crappy job, crappy pay, and LOOOOONG hours it is not worth it at all.

There was an article I read last week I think. A teacher quit his job and went to work at walmart, because he could make something like $14,000 more vs teaching. Teachers are woefully underpaid
I think I'd take the 14k paycut not to work at walmart..lol. Unless i could get a 7-4 M-F gig there, but i am not sure that exists at Walmart..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom