Backfiring (1 Viewer)

Absolutely not facts to back it up but my belief is the internet. We all now have a "voice" across the globe and we want our opinions heard. While social media has brought us together like never before, it has divided us just as much. There was a post here on how everyone is now an expert and this falls right in line with this unfortunate trend.

And to paraphrase Syndrome from The Incredibles - "When everyone is an expert, no one is."

Well, they all actually said something similar at different times in the movie,so I can see that, heh. One of my favorite movies.

Indeed! I was very happy to hear they're finally making a sequel!

And here's the exchange in particular I was thinking of...

Syndrome: [watching live news footage of the Omnidroid] Huh? Huh? Oh, come on! You gotta admit, this is cool! Just like a movie: the robot will emerge dramatically, do some damage, throw some screaming people. And just when all hope is lost? Syndrome will save the day! I'll be a bigger hero than you ever were.
Mr. Incredible: You mean you killed off real heroes so that you could *pretend* to be one?
Syndrome: Oh, I'm real. Real enough to defeat *you*! And I did it without your precious gifts, your oh-so-special powers. I'll give them heroics. I'll give them the most spectacular heroics anyone's ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll sell my inventions so that everyone can be superheroes. *Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super...
[laughs maniacally]
Syndrome: ...*no one* will be.

*(apologies for the thread jack)*

Absolutely not facts to back it up but my belief is the internet. We all now have a "voice" across the globe and we want our opinions heard. While social media has brought us together like never before, it has divided us just as much. There was a post here on how everyone is now an expert and this falls right in line with this unfortunate trend.

James Cameron (a film director yes, but also a guy very invested in technology) once responded to the question about what the most wrong about something he had ever been was, and his response was the internet. His basic thesis was that he thought it would make the world smaller (in a good way), result in a lot of shared ideas and culture, and start bridging divides as people learned about the rest of the world. But once it matured, he said it became obvious that opposite of that had happened. All it had really done was create echo chambers where people could go to get their biases reinforced by the like-minded, it created a weird kind of tribalism and in many ways has increased ignorance and hostility. It allowed people to communicate, yeah, but it turned out a significant percentage of people weren't looking for new or interesting ideas, they were just looking to form hiveminds with people who felt the same as them.

The older I get, the more I realize that, culturally and psychologically, we weren't ready for the internet. It was a technology that arrived generations earlier than we were ready for (if we ever would be) and it's done some massive damage. Yes, it has been great in many ways. But it's getting harder to ignore the damage it's done (socially, psychologically, economically, etc.).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom