Backup QB anyone?? How about a TE? And a few other Takes (1 Viewer)

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Martin hasn't been resigned yet....should we go get good ol' JT O'Sullivan? I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a restricted free agent. How about Tim Rattay? That's about all there is out there I think. But we don't have a backup.

Also, Eric Johnson and Billy Miller haven't been resigned yet either. I kinda liked seeing Billy Miller's one big catch per game last year, wouldn't mind having him back. Johnson should be gone, seeing as he can't catch and all. A couple names out there I like.. Bo Scaife, Marcus Pollard (old, but decent). That's it, I don't know a lot about tight ends. But if we resign Miller and get one of those guys, preferrably Scaife (I know, not gonna haappen) that would be nice.

I would also like to have Patten back

Some LBs still out there that are or could be developed to be better than Shanle (reduced list):
Boss Bailey
Darryl Blackstock
Karlos Dansby (Franchised but may be looking to trade)
Clark Haggans
Calvin Pace

Ben Utech would fit our scheme well and although he is a RFA he has no tender so he cost nothing.

Also Ithink that Baily would be a good compeditor for the weakside

Fitzpatrick for a 7th. Hobson at ROLB. B. Johnson as the #2 WR. I. Scott for competition at DT. Things would look a little better.

I believe Ben Utech was tendered.

You're both right... Utecht was tendered (a 1-year contract for $927,000) and if we were to make an offer the Colts would have an option to match it. However as he was an UFA, if we were to 'get him', the Colts wouldn't receive any compensation. So it wouldn't technically cost us anything more than the contract.

I like Kelley Holcomb. He was released by the vikings and I think he has the experience and better upside then Martin.

i think Holcomb winds up in Miami. When he was first cut I thought he was a perfect Vet for Miami to bring in. Green is supposed to visit this week. This does not mean a whole lot to me and if he is healthy I think he has a greater upside than Martin.
Now hear me out on this one. It is merely speculation on my part, but remember this is a business. The green visit may have more meaning to it than meets the eye. This could be merely a favor to the agent. Scenario....Agent calls and says,"I have 2 or 3 top rated talents that I know you are interested in. I also have Trent Green who is healthy now and looking for a team to play with who has a chance of going to the playoffs,etc.(not rebuilding) Trent is a good leader and a consumate pro. Bring Trent in for a visit even though you are pretty much set at QB (unless God forbid Brees gets hurt) I can do my best to be sure my "other" clients will be more interested in New Orleans and will visit first."
This kind of posturing and rhetoric has to frequent the league.

They are bringing in QB Trent Green and TE Ben Troupe for tryouts this week sometime for tryouts.

Did anyone pick up Kyle Brady? I personally like Ben Troupe. I would grab Rattay for backup. Although I would probably let Tyler Palko play if Brees went down.

........that's probably why I'm neither a coach nor GM though

You're both right... Utecht was tendered (a 1-year contract for $927,000) and if we were to make an offer the Colts would have an option to match it. However as he was an UFA, if we were to 'get him', the Colts wouldn't receive any compensation. So it wouldn't technically cost us anything more than the contract.
Huh? :dunno: I don't know his situation, but if he was an UFA, he would have signed a contract or still would be an UFA. If he was a RFA, this would make sense, which is likely the case in this scenario.

Didn't Gus Frerotte get released? I think he'd be the perfect backup

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom