Bad calls of the week (blown call repository) (2 Viewers)

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
Anybody interested in compiling a list of the bad calls from last week's action?

It seems the refs are worse this year than usual. In two weeks of action, the refs have wasted no time in proving that they can affect outcomes.

The Saints are winning so this obviously doesn't hit home very hard, but I think it's still a worthwhile exercise to note how shoddy the officiating has been. It's probably better to do this while we are dispassionate from winning - it won't reek of sour grapes.

I'll start:

1) Ed Hochuli calling the Packer-Bengals game over when there were clearly 2 seconds left on the clock. A false start probably could have been called, making this one irrelevant, but how can you run in and stop the play when the clock clearly said :02? Turrible.

2) The non-holding call on Stinchcomb before the end of the first half on that 29 yard pass to Reggie. Let's be honest. That was a terrible non-call.

3) The Heath Evans fumble call. We had to waste a challenge over a clear mistake by the ref.

4) Tony Gonzales had a catch that was ruled incomplete; he got up and ran into the endzone, but because the refs had ruled it incomplete, after the review the Falcons had the ball at the spot of the catch.

Please post any bad calls you noticed from this week's action. I know I'm missing a few that I noticed on the highlight shows yesterday.

Reggie getting facemasked+horse-collared by same guy last week.

(and, for a change, one that we got away with) No holding (or hands to the face) call on Reggie's 30yd catch this week.

The interception return for a td by the Giant's Phillips that was called back to the spot because the ref thought it was incomplete instead of being kicked by the Dallas player

Eagles Game: It looked to me like Heath's heel was on the line in that fabulous twisting touchdown.

Eagles game: I'm 99% sure the challenge in the end zone was a trapped ball, but the camera angle didn't catch it. It was a bad call, but a good review.

The interception return for a td by the Giant's Phillips that was called back to the spot because the ref thought it was incomplete instead of being kicked by the Dallas player

This was the first to come to my mind. Tge refs are way to trigger happy with that whistle! Let the play develop before blowing the whistle!

Cant believe nobody has mentioned the Eagles TD catch that we challenged and the ruling on the field stood.. That clearly hit the ground and he trapped it.. Ridonkulous.

Cant believe nobody has mentioned the Eagles TD catch that we challenged and the ruling on the field stood.. That clearly hit the ground and he trapped it.. Ridonkulous.

True,,, a bad call, but not enough visual evidence to overturn it.

Eagles Game: It looked to me like Heath's heel was on the line in that fabulous twisting touchdown.

Eagles game: I'm 99% sure the challenge in the end zone was a trapped ball, but the camera angle didn't catch it. It was a bad call, but a good review.

Actually there was an angle from the backside that showed green behind his heel, they only showed it once on the TV, but I saw it. Every other angle it looked like his heel went out.

I give the refs a pass on that one, I thought it hit the ground too, they can't let every play go until a defender quits running with the ball, or the games would last 6 hours.

the no pass interference call on the ravens when clearly without a doubt a CB for the ravens plowed in to a charger before the ball got there. with roughly 3 minutes left in the game stalling the chargers drive.

same game they screwed the chargers out of play clock time when they were on the one inch line....when after they reviewed the catch on the one....they put the ball down and the play clock started at 12 seconds, causing a delay of game. chargers ended up kicking another field goal......the refs really affected that game

I give the refs a pass on that one, I thought it hit the ground too, they can't let every play go until a defender quits running with the ball, or the games would last 6 hours.

Or someone would get hurt. No, the refs made the right call in blowing the whistle; it sure looked like an incompletion in real time to me, too, so to the refs there was no obvious need to let the play continue and therefore they blew the whistle. But they corrected it the best they could following replay. No, I have no complaints about that call at all.

(and I'm sorry, but when I glanced at this thread, I thought it said "bad call suppository" -- pretty appropriate, really! :D )

Evans had a lot of green between his heal and out of bounds, was able to rewind my DVR and see the call was right before the ref. got under the replay hood.

fans have the benefit of watching 47 replays from 19 different angles....

most calls or non calls are made during real time action without this benefit

it stands to reason that the refs aren't going to get everything right on every single play

i certainly think there is room for improvement, but let's face it, calls like holding and the like are going to be missed unless you put 50 refs out on the field

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom