Bad form to run up the score? (1 Viewer)

Scoring alot and running up the score are two different things.

42-27 (15 point win)
Scored only 7 points in 4th Quarter.
Not running up the score by any means.

48-22 (26 point win)
Up 14 going into 4th and we score with 9 mins left to get 21 point lead. 14 point lead with 9 min's isn't safe lead in the NFL.
Get pick 6 with a minute left to get next TD.
7 offensive points in 4th Quarter
Blame Sharper.

27-7 (20 point win)
Up 3 going into 4th. Can't run up score if game is close.
Trying to run clock out with 2 mins left and PT breaks one for 19 yards and scores TD. Went from 13 point lead (Patriots scored 2 TD's in less than 3 mins against the Bills so even if you say we tried to score, it was justified).
2 possession game isn't safe with 2 min's left.

Right. None of those were situations where Payton ran up the score. Drew probably could've thrown for 8 TDs in the Detroit game had he wanted to. And he could've thrown for probably 5 in the Philly game. Payton doesn't run up the score.

Some examples of NOT running up the score: ... the Eagles game a couple of weeks ago. Sharper got his INT with less than a minute to play, Eagles holding no timeouts. He could have gone to the ground and let the offense kneel on it, but instead he takes it to the house to make it 48-22. Thing is, he went 98 YARDS. If you can't stop a guy over 98 yards of field, that's on you, buddy. That's not running up the score.

In those last 60 seconds, if I recall, the Eagles weren't content to let the game end right where it was.They called timeout hoping to take a shot into the end zone and jack up their point total a little even though it wouldn't change the outcome of the game. It was poetic justice the Saints score instead, courtesy of their timeout.

I think for the most part (unless you're already WAAAY ahead) in the first second and third quarter, you play as if the score is 0-0. Once you hit the fourth, that's where you start to change your game plan to take into effect the current score.

There is a difference between running up the score and scoring points late in a game while leading big.

If you are ahead by 45 points with 5 minutes lef6t in the game and you are doing onside kicks and going for it on 4th and 2 on their 20 yard line instead of kicking a field goal or throwing a hail mary on the last play instead of kneeling then you are running up the score.

If you are ahead by 45 with 5 minutes left and you make a touchdown by rushing 7 plays and a short pass you are not running up the score you are just playing to win. Nobody expects a team to quit playing offense while winning big. They just expect them to win with some class.

So far I wouldnt classify any of our wins as running up the score.

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/rBg8RJdcSEs&hl=en&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Memories....

Memories is right. Lot of guys in that video I had forgotten about.

Best thing about that game is how it distracted everyone away from our implosion against Philly the same day.

There was a playoff game back in the 90's where i think the Houston Oilers had something like a 30 point half time lead. They didn't run up the score, and Bufflo had greatest playoff comeback in NFL history to beat the oilers.

I remember being at the Ram's game one year when we were up 21pts and went on to lose the game pretty much in the 4th quarter.

I just remember how everyone hated the Patriots so much for their classless habit of running up the score. There is a great deal of difference between being respected and feared as a powerful opponent and being hated and reviled as being a powerful team that bullies others. Call me old-fashioned, but I like that the Saints have the reputation of being a "character" team and would hate to see us lose that by getting all full of ourselves because we have this shot with a powerful team. In my opinion, Sean Payton is showing a lot of good sense and restraint.

So yeah, anyway, instead of running up the score, let's put the second string in if the game is in the bag. One day we might need to rely on some of them and it makes more sense that they have a "real" game or two under their belts.

my feeling is that you shouldn't play the game if you're afraid to get embarassed. not to mention that you get better by playing every snap as if the score is 0-0 as opposed to settling because you don't want to step on anyone's feelings

I thought it was classless for the Pats to run up the scores a few years ago. BUT, after back-to-back trick plays last Sunday from the Bills.... I was all about it!!! I really didn't like that!

we really havent been running up the score......we stopped passing against the eagles....if we wanted to run up the score we would've passed in the red zone against the eagles instead of running it on 2nd and long and 3rd and long

against the lions we needed to score points and against the bills we were running up the score by running outside of the redzone

so really......we havent run up the score at all.....our high points per game average is a product of turnovers, an improved running game, and necessity to score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom