Bad form to run up the score? (1 Viewer)

In High School, yes. In the NFL when you are paid to play... No.

I'm not opposed to running up the score on paid professionals, but you guys need to understand there are consequences.

In other words, when Bart Scott late-hits and then "hot-sauces" Brees when we're up by 4 scores late in the 4th, don't come crying onto this forum if you were in favor of running up the score. That's what happens. If you can't take it, don't ask for it.

You can never score enought points.
Case in Point: Bills comeback vs. the Oilers. I don't remember the score or the year, but it was a lot of points.

IIRC, the bills were behind by about 35 points or so at the start of the 2nd half. Early 90s I believe.

As long as it's clear that they aren't playing outside of their element, I have no problem seeing the Saints do it to another team... or having it done to them. Obviously I'd only rather see one end of that equation, but hey -- such is life.

IIRC, the bills were behind by about 35 points or so at the start of the 2nd half. Early 90s I believe.

35-3, I think Houston took the first drive of the 3rd even to get to 35.

What's even wilder is Buffalo did it with Frank Reich, not even Jim Kelly. And Saints fans thought they had it bad with backup quarterbacks :covri:

Some examples of running up the score: 2007 Patriots. With games un-losable in the 4th quarter against Dallas and D.C., Belichek was still calling empty-backfield, shotgun formations in the opponent's red zone with less than two minutes to play, pretty much because he was angry at the world over getting caught in SpyGate, and angry at the Colts for beating him in the playoffs the year before and wanted Brady to break P. Manning's single-season touchdown pass record. That's textbook ****** running-up-the-score.

Some examples of NOT running up the score: 2006, Saints at ATL. The Saints have the game won, handoff to Deuce McAllister to grind the clock, but ATL defenders just give up so Deuce waltzes into the end zone. Hey, he ran past three layers of defense and you couldn't stop him in the 19 or 20 yards he had to cross before reaching the end zone -- that's not running up the score, that's just Atlanta sucking. Same for the Eagles game a couple of weeks ago. Sharper got his INT with less than a minute to play, Eagles holding no timeouts. He could have gone to the ground and let the offense kneel on it, but instead he takes it to the house to make it 48-22. Thing is, he went 98 YARDS. If you can't stop a guy over 98 yards of field, that's on you, buddy. That's not running up the score.

There's a difference between simply continuing to do what you've been doing and continuing to score that way and running up the score with tricky plays and long passes. I'm not concerned about the other team possibly getting wittle hurt feewings, but I would be concerned that they (and every team thereafter) would want to take a bite out of a team so classless as to play like they're three TDs behind when they're four ahead.

In professional football, coaches should act like professionals. That means no beating up the other guy until he cries and gets all snotty, then laughing at him for it as though it were the elementary school playground.

That's the sort of shenanigans I expect of the Patriots, not of the Saints (nor of the Jets, for that matter).

Edited to add: the post above me said it way better and with perfect examples. :)

35-3, I think Houston took the first drive of the 3rd even to get to 35.

What's even wilder is Buffalo did it with Frank Reich, not even Jim Kelly. And Saints fans thought they had it bad with backup quarterbacks :covri:

Reich was an ole pro at those types of comebacks. He has the biggest comeback in college as well.

I'm not opposed to running up the score on paid professionals, but you guys need to understand there are consequences.

In other words, when Bart Scott late-hits and then "hot-sauces" Brees when we're up by 4 scores late in the 4th, don't come crying onto this forum if you were in favor of running up the score. That's what happens. If you can't take it, don't ask for it.

Yeah, but in that situation, Brees needs to be on the bench. Let Brunell get the "hot sauce."

Some examples of NOT running up the score: 2006, Saints at ATL. The Saints have the game won, handoff to Deuce McAllister to grind the clock, but ATL defenders just give up so Deuce waltzes into the end zone. Hey, he ran past three layers of defense and you couldn't stop him in the 19 or 20 yards he had to cross before reaching the end zone -- that's not running up the score, that's just Atlanta sucking. Same for the Eagles game a couple of weeks ago. Sharper got his INT with less than a minute to play, Eagles holding no timeouts. He could have gone to the ground and let the offense kneel on it, but instead he takes it to the house to make it 48-22. Thing is, he went 98 YARDS. If you can't stop a guy over 98 yards of field, that's on you, buddy. That's not running up the score.

Well, and you can't stop a player from getting his stats in that situation either, These guys have bonuses to reach, Pro Bowl consideration to get, and the sheer badassness of taking it to the house to achieve. You can't ever begrudge a player those things.

You don't think 42-17, 45-27, 48-22 isn't running up the score? SP has and will run up the score if he can......up to a point like you mentioned.

Scoring alot and running up the score are two different things.

42-27 (15 point win)
Scored only 7 points in 4th Quarter.
Not running up the score by any means.

48-22 (26 point win)
Up 14 going into 4th and we score with 9 mins left to get 21 point lead. 14 point lead with 9 min's isn't safe lead in the NFL.
Get pick 6 with a minute left to get next TD.
7 offensive points in 4th Quarter
Blame Sharper.

27-7 (20 point win)
Up 3 going into 4th. Can't run up score if game is close.
Trying to run clock out with 2 mins left and PT breaks one for 19 yards and scores TD. Went from 13 point lead (Patriots scored 2 TD's in less than 3 mins against the Bills so even if you say we tried to score, it was justified).
2 possession game isn't safe with 2 min's left.

Yeah, but in that situation, Brees needs to be on the bench. Let Brunell get the "hot sauce."

If Brunell is in there it's not "running up the score".

That's my point. Throwing up 60 is nice. I would love it. And I don't think there are any moral "quandaries" involved since we're talking professional athletes here.

But for all you guys (not you specifically) looking for that, understand the other team might not enjoy it as much as you and they do have options that can make you regret it.

Remember the end of the Eagles game. Andy Reid calls a pointless timeout and sends Kolb back out there to throw a hailmary? After playing soft 2-deep zone the whole 4th we bring a blitz, smack the crap out of Kolb, and pick the pass off. Not running the score up, but the same situation and mentality holds.

Sometimes running the clock out isn't about being "classy", it's about getting out with the W and no pointless injuries or drama.

if were up by 4 scores late i doubt brees would be playing,but i wouldnt wanna see any player get hurt

only game i care about us running up the score in is the super bowl lol..... other than that idk either way so long as we win.....but in the SB i want the game callled because the other team refused to take the field :smilielol:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom