Bad PI calls are killing the NFL (1 Viewer)

The league wanted more offense. They got it and in doing so they created another sport. A sport geared more towards fantasy football fans as opposed to just regular football fans.

I remember growing up old timers would say that today's game is nothing like it used to be. They would talk about how tough it used to be. And this was in the 90s. I guess I'm getting old because today's game is nothing like it used to be.

YES! This, all day long.

Thank goodness for old videos and old game discs I've accumulated.

Something else I've noticed: at halftime, games seem to have a greater score differential then at the end of the game.

The score of games usually tends to tighten up near the end of a game. It's not common for teams to take a lead and just run away with it. That happens but its not the norm.

I really noticed this when I started watching the Red Zone channel. At halftime, the games were either be close or one team had pulled ahead but more times than not, those latter games tightened up at the end.

Why does that matter? Well, a conspiracy theorist might suggest that the refs are steering games to be close at the end. The objective being to keep as many people interested as long as possible. The more eyeballs on the product and the longer they are on the product, then the more valuable the product is.

Or, it means that the parity in the league is more prevalent that ever. You could argue a case for either, but it is strange how most games seem to tighten up at the end.

Anybody know where to find the names of the NFL referees with a recap of the flags that they threw per game? Specifically, who threw the PI flags against Robertson & Moore?

It would be great to put this in a database and see if there are any trends that can be garnered.

pro football reference will give you some stats on refs like % of penalties, Home vs away and win %

nfl zebras give you every penalty thrown per game but without the refs attached to it. If there was a database for what you are asking, people would pay money for it.

Something else I've noticed: at halftime, games seem to have a greater score differential then at the end of the game.

The score of games usually tends to tighten up near the end of a game. It's not common for teams to take a lead and just run away with it. That happens but its not the norm.

I really noticed this when I started watching the Red Zone channel. At halftime, the games were either be close or one team had pulled ahead but more times than not, those latter games tightened up at the end.

Why does that matter? Well, a conspiracy theorist might suggest that the refs are steering games to be close at the end. The objective being to keep as many people interested as long as possible. The more eyeballs on the product and the longer they are on the product, then the more valuable the product is.

Or, it means that the parity in the league is more prevalent that ever. You could argue a case for either, but it is strange how most games seem to tighten up at the end.

Or it could just be that grown men with jobs on the line and everything they've worked for for months going into their crafts tend to step up when they're backed up against the wall.

I just don't think I can buy that there is some grand league-wide conspiracy.

Rogue refs? Yes. League conspiracies. No way - too many people to keep quiet.

Or it could just be that grown men with jobs on the line and everything they've worked for for months going into their crafts tend to step up when they're backed up against the wall.

Absolutely. I'm not saying that is the case; I'm just saying it's possible.

I wouldn't watch if I thought it was really rigged.

pro football reference will give you some stats on refs like % of penalties, Home vs away and win %

nfl zebras give you every penalty thrown per game but without the refs attached to it. If there was a database for what you are asking, people would pay money for it.

Sorry, dumb question I guess because it presumes some semblance of accountability within the NFL when it comes to penalties. What was I thinking?

I could agree with that if there wasnt any possible way for this to happen, but there are a few.

One is it could be built into the NFL contract. You making millions, you talk about it, you lose your contract and retirement pension. Go to bagging groceries.

Another is black mail. There are many criminals employed by the NFL. If any players is using drugs, gambles, has any kind of skeletons in the closet, they will be known by somebody and could be used to buy this guy on a game. Players in the NFL have been bought to throw games and its in the millions per game. Think the mafia. This is well known you just have to look around. That video I posted outlines it as well as other information.

If you making league minimum, you are broke, you owe money to a bookie or drug dealer, you will do something to get out from that debt or make an extra few million. If it means throwing a game, so be it.

Some players can be bought. You dont need a whole team. 3 at most and the QB would be the best. Big Ben with his rape allegations? Dont think he wouldnt throw a game to clear his name.

Coaches? I have personally watched Jeff Fisher makes some of the stupidest decisions in football. But you know what? He did some of them because the point spread was in question. Im not pulling your leg. I have seen it. There was no other reason to make these calls than to affect the spread on a game. They work for the NFL and so do the refs.

The officials can push a game one way or another to help but they cant do it all. The over and under number has to do with playcalling. Who controls that?

Its alot easier than you care to believe. I am of the belief that we are watching nothing more than a soap opera with the word sport and football are attached. You dont have to believe it. I have just seen enough to realize that this isnt a game played where any team can win on a coin flip. There is just too much money at stake.

This coin flip of a game you believe is not fixed, very well could be and usually is. If Im a bookmaker, and I have $1,000,000 bets on Team A, and $50,000 on Team B. Which am I more likely to pay out? Not every game will be that lopsided but the ones that are, I guarantee they arent paying the $1 million out. Some how, some way, something will happen in that game so I dont have to pay. Its money and every player continues to preach that this is a business. They have told you, you just wont listen and thats your decision to believe what you want. This game is played with money.

The NFL is a dirty crooked business no different than our own government, Big Pharma, profit prisons, etc. To stay in business, you need to do things to keep the money flowing. There are no limits when it comes to a Billion dollar business.

Would it really necessitate a "grand league-wide conspiracy"? Or, rather a few key people who have control over the scheduling of games, officiating crews, and etc.? If it is the latter, then it could be plausable that a handful of co-conspirators could, given time and opportunity, be quite effective in predetermining the outcome as it pertains to Wins vs. Losses. After bounty gate who could blame us Saints fans for being leery of anything that Roger G. has his fingers on?

Did it take a league wide conspiracy to pull off Bounty gate?

I think if all the coaches got together and started to throw their challenge flags on these calls, I think things will start to be reviewed. Once one coach does it and I know it'll cost a timeout and challenge, others will probably follow.

It happens to too many teams that I'm sure it would catch on quickly. One coach just needs to do it. If someone here is really good friends with SP, maybe you can bring it up to him.

FWIW, I think every part of every play should be reviewable. You still get 2 challenges plus extras if you win both challenges. So you have to be careful where and how you employ the challenges. I do not like that you can't challenge plays in the last 2 minutes. It's comes from the booth, but I'm not sure why coaches should be taken out of the equation in the last 2 minutes. That rule has never made sense to me.

And why can't a team have as many challenges as they want until they lose 2 of them?

Pass Interference calls should all be reviewed, it happens too fast and it's too subjective.

I've seen it called in several games recently where the ball was clearly uncatchable, but they never call that anymore.

And it always seems to happen on a big 4th down. Us, the Denver/Panthers game week 1, etc. It is almost guaranteed that some penalty is going to get called on a big 4th down. It's like these games are simply aimed at keeping the game as close as possible as long as possible.

I say add one more challenge and let coaches challenge any call especially in the last 5 minutes of a game. . PI can swing a game just like a fumble.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom