Bad punt? (1 Viewer)

Jonesy77

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to keep harping on this but it's bugging me. I don't have a problem losing games, it happens in the NFL, but I got ill when Payton called for the punt on 4th and 1 in the 3rd quarter. Many folks I've spoken with believe it was the right decision, but to me, it communicated surrender, and felt like a knife in the heart. It was the only aspect of the game I simply could not abide, and that decision just made me sad.

Am I completely off base, or was punting (even if it was in our territory) when we were down by 21 points basically throwing in the towel?

I guess I just wanted to see some fight, even if we didn't make it.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the 4th and 1 from our own 30ish yardline?

I thought it was in our 30's..too early to punt then..shoot, after that punt, if we had scored every time we went into the red zone we would have tied the game

The one I'm talking about was on our 30 yard line. I understand it gives them the ball close to our endzone if we don't make it, but with 1 1/2 quarters left of play, the difference between 3 and 4 TDs isn't much, but the difference between 2 and 3 is HUGE. Seems like it would have been worth the risk to try and cut it down and keep our defense off the field a bit longer.

Punting was the right call. There was still plenty of time left for us to win the thing right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom