Bad SATA Bridge or Disk on External Harddrive (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have a dead 3 TB Seagate that is a desktop version with its own power supply. Its maybe 4 years old but didn't get used a whole lot unless I accidentally left it plugged in once. A lot of what I have found online suggests that it is the SATA bridge more oft than not and that a hard drive dock is a good answer. But I am also aware that some SATA are integrated and this wont work .

Im going to post a couple of pics of what I took out of the shell. If this is a standard SATA bridge on the bottom it is unlike the ones I saw online. I want to figure out if the dock is going to be an option for this thing before I further disassemble. I already purchased a new AC adapter for it and it didn't work so I know that wasn't the failure.

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

I guess the part thats confusing is the fact that it needed its own power supply. Worried that means the dock won't read it since it must get power to turn the disk.

Update. I figured it out. I just had to open the larger compartment and slip the whole thing in. However, now it doesn’t recognize the file system. It tells me it must be formatted. Is that the kiss of death?

This may be sheer luck, so you may want to ignore this until someone who knows what they're doing comes along, but I've used this in the past to save data off of dead disks:

Clicking to reformat the disk leads to bad things happening, from what I remember. There may be other links off this page that apply better. Hope this helps!

This may be sheer luck, so you may want to ignore this until someone who knows what they're doing comes along, but I've used this in the past to save data off of dead disks:

Clicking to reformat the disk leads to bad things happening, from what I remember. There may be other links off this page that apply better. Hope this helps!

oh yes as soon as it said that I turnEd off the dock lol

I tried other USB ports and a laptop. Same results. I’m progressive through suggestions from least dangerous down. But I’m trying to gather knowledge before proceeding. I am adding this to possible things to try. Thank you.

Last edited:
this just gets weirder. I ran a health check program to see if it has damage. It shows a partition split. Im sure I never partitioned this drive? There is an option to merge partitions but I don't know if I should do that. But if crucial files have been split by it or are in the unacceptable one, seems like that could be the problem. Sharon I'm going to tackle your approach tomorrow. Unless someone splains this stuff to me.

btw, I was using AOMEI. Could be a lot of overlap between what it does and test disk. Dunno

disregard previous. I have gotten the program to work to the point that it does recognize my folder structure and the files seem to be intact inside (seeing them in DOS dir form) Something went wrong in the "write" process though so I need to read through the info page again and see where I mistepped

What if Bugs Bunny Did Take That Left Turn at Albuquerque ...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom