Bag Handlers at the Airport (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I knew it
=========================================================================================

On Honolulu Airport baggage handler recently caught tossing luggage with apparent abandon onto a Hawaiian Airlines flight has sparked frenzied debate on Twitter.

Traveler Vanessa Marsh spotted a female Honolulu Airport staffer throwing hefty suitcases down a metal chute onto a plane bound for Phoenix, and posted a 30-second video clip of the scene to the social network on May 9.

“The mystery of all my broken suitcases is solved — this is the ground crew at Honolulu loading up a @HawaiianAir flight to Phoenix,” Marsh wrote of the clip, which has since been viewed over 42,000 times and driven over 550 comments, featuring mixed opinions, to her post.

“And we paid $25 for each of those bags just to be thrown like that???” one detractor said of the sight, which another critic agreed was “disconcerting.”

Others, meanwhile, were more forgiving............................

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phik2kqeVjI

Honolulu Airport worker caught tossing luggage sparks Twitter debate

Considering I've had 3 broken suitcases and had my luggage lost 4 times in 2018, these videos get me a little worked up.

One of the reasons I never check bags, only take carry on bags. One over head one under seat.

so I did a bunch of touring in my 20s - maybe 60 flights all over europe and some S. america and asia - the only incident i ever had was getting a CD carrying case taken out of one of my bags (Iberia Air, i think)

we traveled with lots of props/costumes and it was usually 7 of us so the weight was distributed - but one time i was flying solo going to Toronto to perform in some fashion show and the piece i had to travel with was about 250 lbs - it was WAY over the limit and I can't remember the exact number but it was something like the company gave me an extra $300 for baggage charge and the actual charge was maybe $700 - i was stuck (this was JFK and the company was in Connecticut) - ticket agent said, 'look, go over there, put the $300 in your passport book and then come back over here"
i did that and was on the plane in 20 minutes

Came here expecting discussion about something entirely different at the airport.

i’ve seen much worse at fedex. people kicking boxes just to make them fit in an amj (large airline cargo container), boxes that say heavy on top of the boxes that say fragile, or this end up any direction other. this happens at every fedex location and ramp i have worked. total disregard for anyone’s property. the people that would fedex expensive luggage...well, usually not so expensive after.

Looking at the way that system is built and considering how long the handler has to do the job before that plane needs to be elsewhere, I don't see a problem. What're they supposed to do, gently set each bag down with a pillow?
I expected something egregious like really flinging 'em around or just dropping them onto the tarmac. What that video shows is just SOP.

Guess this can go here
==================

A Spirit Airlines passenger used her Apple Watch to track down her missing luggage, only to find it at the home of a Fort Lauderdaleairport retail worker.

Paola Garcia was waiting at Carousel 4 inside Terminal 4 at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to collect her luggage; however, her hardshell pink suitcase never turned up on the conveyor belt, she told Local10.

“In my mind, I’m thinking I need my computer because I go to the university, I need my computer no matter what,” Garcia said. “I was waiting there at least two hours.”

The passenger told Spirit Airlines about her issue,. The airline said it would send her luggage to her address.

However, the next morning after her flight, she realized her Apple Watch packed inside her suitcase had started to send a signal not from the airport, but from a home in Fort Lauderdale.

What Garcia did not know at the time, was that her suitcase had been allegedly taken by 29-year-old Junior Bazile, who, in surveillance footage, was seen rummaging through the case in the back of an airport retail store he worked at, according to an arrest affidavit and pictures obtained by the outlet.

Bazile allegedly took various items out of the case and then placed Garcia’s suitcase in a clear plastic bag, the police report said.

Garcia told the local outlet that after she got the signal from her Apple Watch, she decided to go to the house herself because she had a “test that day” and needed her computer.

Once she arrived, she allegedly saw a number of suitcases all around the property and decided to call 911.

“The first thing the police told me was like, ‘What are you doing here? This is so dangerous for you to be here,’” Garcia said in the interview.

A detective from the Broward Sheriff’s Office then put the address of the house through an internal airport database and discovered that Bazile worked at a retail store inside the airport and was logged as working the day Garcia’s suitcase went missing.

Bazile was later arrested by police and charged with grand theft, the outlet reports.

Several days later, Bazile appeared in court for a status hearing on the charge. When asked by Local10 about allegedly stealing the items, he replied, “Go away.”

Spirit Airlines told the outlet that they have “issued a reimbursement check to the guest as a courtesy, even though we are not currently aware of any evidence that any Spirit employee was involved.”…….

could missing bags be a part of an organized theft ring?
===================================

.........Weinsier went to the house to ask about all the suitcases Garcia saw there and to talk to Bazile, but he wasn’t home.

Instead, Weinsier had a seven-minute-plus cordial conversation with his mother, who never asked him to leave and answered his questions.

“The police come in here and they don’t find nothing,” she said. “Nothing in my house. Nothing in my house.”

When told that at one point Garcia’s Apple watch was pinging from her house, she suddenly began to lash out, grabbing Weinsier’s station ID right off his neck and refusing to give it back.

She then started screaming for help and asking to be put on camera, which she already was, and struck Weinsier.

She then claimed that she was the one being hit.

Police officers were called and saw the entire interaction, which was all on camera.

Weinsier elected not to press charges for her physically assaulting him.

Several days later, Bazile was in court for a status hearing on the grand theft charge.............

A spokesperson for Paradies Shops, which is the company Bazile worked for inside the airport, released the following statement to Local 10 on Wednesday: “Paradies Lagardère takes this matter very seriously. Immediately upon learning of the incident, this employee was terminated. As this is an ongoing police matter, we have cooperated with the investigation and recommend reaching out to the Fort Lauderdale Police Department for more information.”

Is this part of a bigger ring?

“Personally, I don’t think it’s one person working in the airport, I think it’s a group,” said Garcia. “One person can’t just do that, take bags.”..........

Last edited:
Guess this can go here
==================

A Spirit Airlines passenger used her Apple Watch to track down her missing luggage, only to find it at the home of a Fort Lauderdaleairport retail worker.

Paola Garcia was waiting at Carousel 4 inside Terminal 4 at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to collect her luggage; however, her hardshell pink suitcase never turned up on the conveyor belt, she told Local10.

“In my mind, I’m thinking I need my computer because I go to the university, I need my computer no matter what,” Garcia said. “I was waiting there at least two hours.”

The passenger told Spirit Airlines about her issue,. The airline said it would send her luggage to her address.

However, the next morning after her flight, she realized her Apple Watch packed inside her suitcase had started to send a signal not from the airport, but from a home in Fort Lauderdale.

What Garcia did not know at the time, was that her suitcase had been allegedly taken by 29-year-old Junior Bazile, who, in surveillance footage, was seen rummaging through the case in the back of an airport retail store he worked at, according to an arrest affidavit and pictures obtained by the outlet.

Bazile allegedly took various items out of the case and then placed Garcia’s suitcase in a clear plastic bag, the police report said.

Garcia told the local outlet that after she got the signal from her Apple Watch, she decided to go to the house herself because she had a “test that day” and needed her computer.

Once she arrived, she allegedly saw a number of suitcases all around the property and decided to call 911.

“The first thing the police told me was like, ‘What are you doing here? This is so dangerous for you to be here,’” Garcia said in the interview.

A detective from the Broward Sheriff’s Office then put the address of the house through an internal airport database and discovered that Bazile worked at a retail store inside the airport and was logged as working the day Garcia’s suitcase went missing.

Bazile was later arrested by police and charged with grand theft, the outlet reports.

Several days later, Bazile appeared in court for a status hearing on the charge. When asked by Local10 about allegedly stealing the items, he replied, “Go away.”

Spirit Airlines told the outlet that they have “issued a reimbursement check to the guest as a courtesy, even though we are not currently aware of any evidence that any Spirit employee was involved.”…….

How did she do on her test?

For the past three years, one US airline has been consistently more likely to mishandle passengers’ luggage than any other.

Between 2021 and 2024, American Airlines had the most reported instances of mishandled luggage of any US airline, according to analysis of Department of Transportation Air Travel Consumer Report data by MyBaggage.com.

American Airlines handled more than 200 million pieces of luggage in the past three years. Of those, more than 1.7 million weremishandled, averaging 8.71 per 1,000 cases.

The data also showed that American Airlines ranked highest for mishandled luggage every year for the past decade.……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom