Bait suggestion please (1 Viewer)

RiverCitySaint

Nerf herder
Reaction score
To the fishermen out there, I need a recommendation for a good stink bait. We go out for catfish almost every weekend and currently use shad, but some of the other guys swear by stink bait. What do y'all like ?

BTW, MrsRCS caught a small (5 or 6 pound) alligator gar yesterday. The video is on my FaceBook page :)
The look on her face was sheer disgust when she brought it in too ! LOL Classic :hihi:

Personally I use the giants performance as my stink bait

Turkey liver is like chicken liver but tougher so it stays on the hook. More difficult to find though.

Ivory soap....

I am not joking. Cut a chuck apply to hook. Most difficult part is getting it to stay on the hook. I havent used it since I was a kid but I haven't been catfishing since I was a kid.

was going to make a suggestion after reading the thread title, but I don't fish freshwater. Also, can't stand catfish. You can catch a hardhead on anything though...

Ivory soap....

I am not joking. Cut a chuck apply to hook. Most difficult part is getting it to stay on the hook. I havent used it since I was a kid but I haven't been catfishing since I was a kid.

We used Ivory as kids too but mostly for trotlines.

Sis caught her first catfish on a hookless chunk of Easter ham.

There used to be some kind of stink bait paste that smelled VERY foul!

We got it at wal mart.

We would get nylons (like stockings) cut a 2.5" x 2.5" piecesquirt the stuff on there stick a treble hook in it and tie the ends around the top of the hook.

The problem with it is after its been sitting in the water if you reel in and recast the stink goes everywhere and you only have half as much bait left.

We also used to use cheap spicey pork pan sausage, left outside raw for a day or two unopened set up the same way.

Also turkey liver.

I cannot imagine the logic behind using Ivory soap, especially since it is the only soap that floats.
As far as sausage goes, I have caught catfish with mesquite flavored lil smokies before. Weird huh ? Going to Academy today and I am going to get the foulest smelling dough bait I can get my nose on. I'll post pics of the nastiness.

We always use shrimp. I had a nice 27" red this weekend. I let him go. The water was muddy and I didn't feel like cleaning one fish.

128698862251037541.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom