Baked Bean Recipe (1 Viewer)

I think nature never intended for me to eat beans at all.
The only bean I don't particularly care for is the Lima. My personal favorite is speckled butter beans with okra. My grandmother used to cook those with both picked fresh from her garden. I miss those days

Does anyone have a really good baked bean recipe?
This is my award-winning (seriously) baked bean recipe:

In a deep 9" x 9" foil baking dish (I use foil because of easy clean-up) combine the following:

84 oz. (approx) Pork & Beans (rinsed semi-thoroughly) You need to leave about 3/4" to 1" of space at the top of the pan for other ingredients
8 oz. - dark brown sugar
1/3 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup Yellow Mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. coarse ground thyme

Make a very small dark roux (2 tbsp. unsalted butter, 2 tbsp. flour). Wilt the following in the roux for 5 minutes:

1 cup - chopped sweet onion
1 cup - chopped bell pepper
1 cup - chopped celery

Blend wilted trinity into the bean mixture.

This is SUPER important. You need a package of Jimmy Dean Hickory-Smoked Bacon. This bacon, when cooked properly, "melts" in the perfect way for baked beans. Also, Smithfield Hickory-Smoked Bacon. All of the others I have tried remained "stringy" after cooking, requiring the bacon to be cut. Put one layer of bacon over the top of the bean mixture. You will not be able to get the whole package on the top, nor should you. Cook the rest to snack on while you wait.

Put the foil pan on top of a cookie sheet (I cover that with foil, it is to catch any boil over) and place the beans into a 350F degree oven uncovered for 2 hours. Lower the heat to 225F and continue cooking to allow liquid to boil off, typically 4 hours at 225F. Serve hot, but know that the leftovers can be eaten cold or you can reheat gently in the microwave, adding a tiny bit of water.

I have easily doubled and tripled this recipe in larger foil baking pans for bigger crowds. This recipe was born in a family recipe that was noodled about and experimented on for many years before winning its first blue ribbon (I entered on a whim, encouraged by family).

Last edited:

In a deep 9" x 9" foil baking dish (I use foil because of easy clean-up) combine the following:

84 oz. (approx) Pork & Beans (rinsed semi-thoroughly) You need to leave about 3/4" to 1" of space at the top of the pan for other ingredients
8 oz. - dark brown sugar
1/3 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup Yellow Mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Make a very small dark roux (2 tbsp. unsalted butter, 2 tbsp. flour). Wilt the following in the roux for 5 minutes:

1 cup - chopped celery

This is SUPER important. You need a package of Jimmy Dean Hickory-Smoked Bacon. This bacon, when cooked properly, "melts" in the perfect way for baked beans. Also, Smithfield Hickory-Smoked Bacon. All of the others I have tried remained "stringy" after cooking, requiring the bacon to be cut. Put one layer of bacon over the top of the bean mixture. You will not be able to get the whole package on the top, nor should you. Cook the rest to snack on while you wait.

Put the foil pan on top of a cookie sheet (I cover that with foil, it is to catch any boil over) and place the beans into a 350F degree oven uncovered for 2 hours. Lower the heat to 225F and continue cooking to allow liquid to boil off, typically 4 hours. Serve hot, but know that the leftovers can be eaten cold or you can reheat gently in the microwave, adding a tiny bit of water.

I have easily doubled and tripled this recipe in larger foil baking pans for bigger crowds. This recipe was born in a family recipe that was noodled about and experimented on for many years before winning its first blue ribbon (I entered on a whim, encouraged by family).

Thanks Bleu

This sounds good

I'll give it a try

Is it 4 hours at 225 or another 2 hrs for a total of 4hrs in the oven?

Thanks Bleu

This sounds good

I'll give it a try

Is it 4 hours at 225 or another 2 hrs for a total of 4hrs in the oven?
4 at 225F. It's kind of an eyeball thing, you want to make sure most of the liquid is gone.

1 LARGE CAN BUSH'S BAKED BEANS (ORIGINAL)
1 LB ....TENNESSEE PRIDE SAUSAGE
.....BROWN SAUSAGE IN SAME POT THAT BEANS WILL GO IN
.... DUMP CAN OF BEANS IN POT AND HEAT THROUGH
....SERVE AND ENJOY

this. No amount of effort is going to make them more than what they are.
I've had some which were really well done. Hannah Q's are probably the best, but they are able to use the brisket left overs in theirs. The smoky flavor and chunks of brisket work well imho. Also, they are lower in sugar which I find many tend to over sweeten for my liking.

I am not really sure I have ever used a "recipe", but there are a few things I do when I make a pan of beans to go with BBQ.

Half pound of bacon chopped and fried, add 1 onion chopped and 1 bell pepper chopped. Can also use the frozen "3-pepper and onion blend" from the frozen veggie section at the store. Once the onions are clear, add in a can of crushed pineapple and fry that into it. Once everything has a little color on it, add in the Bush's beans on top and let it simmer for an hour or three. If I have grill space, I put the whole pan onto the smoker and let it finish along with the meat.

I am typically not a huge pineapple guy, but they really work in beans and give them a bit of sweetness that balances and causes the other flavors to pop.

8 oz. - dark brown sugar
1/3 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup Yellow Mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper

1 cup - chopped celery

Put the foil pan on top of a cookie sheet (I cover that with foil, it is to catch any boil over) and place the beans into a 350F degree oven uncovered for 2 hours. Lower the heat to 225F and continue cooking to allow liquid to boil off, typically 4 hours at 225F. Serve hot, but know that the leftovers can be eaten cold or you can reheat gently in the microwave, adding a tiny bit of water.

Beans were great, thanks for the recipe

Probably in the oven a little too long, they were a bit on the dry side but the flavor was excellent

Will check them at 3:30 hours next time, and there will definitely be a next time

Thanks Bleu!

Beans were great, thanks for the recipe

Probably in the oven a little too long, they were a bit on the dry side but the flavor was excellent

Will check them at 3:30 hours next time, and there will definitely be a next time

Thanks Bleu!
Glad you enjoyed them!

You can microwave leftovers but add a little water. I also like these cold 😊

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom