Baldy Breakdown - Cesar Ruiz getting it done (2 Viewers)

Ruiz hasn’t been great, but he’s held his own for the most part… he hasn’t been the weak link. For basically a rookie that is playing out of position, after working towards playing RG all offseason, I’m excited to see him go back to his primary position and have 2 great players flanking him. I think he’ll progress quickly at that point.
Yep. I also feel that his time playin at C will give him a better perspective n understanding of not jus his position, but what overall O line play in the NFL is about. From presnap reads n O line playcalls, to the chemistry n continuity needed to be successful!

Once he returns to RG, I think the experience at C will only enhance n improve his play. I look for him to be a lil nastier, a lil more aggressive, n play a lil faster!

We’ll see!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

So Baldy makes a video and now he's not hot garbage like everyone has been saying all year?

lol

Looks to be a lot of revisionist history going on here.

I can't remember a single person on here declaring he's done an adequate job before today.

Last edited:
So Baldy makes a video and now he's not hot garbage like everyone has been saying all year?

lol

I can't remember a single person on here declaring he's done an adequate job before today.
Yep. I also feel that his time playin at C will give him a better perspective n understanding of not jus his position, but what overall O line play in the NFL is about. From presnap reads n O line playcalls, to the chemistry n continuity needed to be successful!

Once he returns to RG, I think the experience at C will only enhance n improve his play. I look for him to be a lil nastier, a lil more aggressive, n play a lil faster!

We’ll see!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
There’s a HUGE difference between playing out of position, with Peat and Throckmorton playing on either side of you… vs playing the position you’ve been training for and working out all offseason, and with McCoy on your left and Ramcyzk on your right!

No offense, but that really makes no sense. The necessity of having All-Pros on both sides of you to make you look like a good player doesn’t make you a good player. Conversely, most good players will look like good players regardless of who is playing next to them.

lol

I’m probably the one Andrus Peat apologist, so…I can admit I haven’t thought negatively towards Ruiz but I never said anything in here.

a quick recap:

Ruiz was a C at Michigan, n drafted in the 1st rd by the Saints.

The “vision” was to have him play C here n move McCoy to RG.

His injury n shortened TC scrapped those plans.

He ended up playing outta position at RG. He struggled, n had n average/decent season there.

During the offseason, the team informed him he would once again be the starter at RG. He worked on preparing himself ( both mentally, n esp physically, gettin bigger m stronger) to take on the position.

But McCoy goes down in the opener, n now Ruiz has to go back to C. He spent little time there in TC, n was the 3rd string ((emergency?) C behind McCoy n Clapp. But Wil was on IR, which forced him back to C.

Again, after starting out struggling, he seems to have settled down.

But once McCoy comes back, he’ll likely go back to RG!

Under the circumstances, you gotta give him props for both his mental n physical toughness, n how he’s handled everything so far!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
That’s a tough situation to be in and he’s pulling through it admirably. He’s gonna be a good player for us. I just never got the fascination with Peat….ever. To me Peat is the weak link on the o-line.

That’s a tough situation to be in and he’s pulling through it admirably. He’s gonna be a good player for us. I just never got the fascination with Peat….ever. To me Peat is the weak link on the o-line.
💯 agreed, on both counts.

Peat is good when he pulls and on screens, not so much as an inline blocker and he has problems with the bull rush.

Ruiz I think will be okay. He is getting it done filling in at center, but he's just doing alright. He did better the 1 quarter he played guard. I by no means would say he's a good center.

No offense, but that really makes no sense. The necessity of having All-Pros on both sides of you to make you look like a good player doesn’t make you a good player. Conversely, most good players will look like good players regardless of who is playing next to them.
We're not talking about the place kicker here. Offensive line has to play as unit to be good; if one man is not doing his job, it can affect the entire line. It does matter that Ruiz had to move over to C and is playing between Peat and Throckmorton. Peat is an above average pass blocker, but, as we all know, is subject to some big lapses in pass pro. Throckmorton is ok, but he's not the guy you want at RG. Although Ruiz played C in college, he was training mainly at RG during camp, and it's what he played all last year for the Saints. I think he's starting to settle in at C now and has improved his ability to recognize where the pressure is going to come from. The good thing is that it looks like he has the athleticism and power to be a starting interior lineman in the NFL; he just needs more seasoning.

I remember all the moaning about why Ruiz and not a WR or something....I think Ruiz is going to be a great player for us for many years....and I thank god for Jeff Ireland....
The answer to that is a simple one... Good GMs draft good players, not good positions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom