Bama's New Offensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

TideSaint

All-Pro
Reaction score
Just announced that Alabama has hired Jim McElwain, formerly the Offensive Coordinator at Fresno State. His offense last year averaged over 32 points a game and over 400 yards per game. He runs a balanced offense that averaged over 200 yards running and passing per game. Specialty is supposedly quarterbacks where his QB this past year lowered his interceptions from 14 to 5 in McElwain's first year as OC.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top width=125 bgColor=#efefef>Here is a little more information.</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top bgColor=#efefef><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top></TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR color=#cccccc noShade>In 2007: 2742 yards rushing and 2712 yards passing. It doesn't get much more balanced than that.

He was there only one season. So, one needs to look at what changed from 2006 to 2007. Was there improvement?

FRESNO 2006 (Pre-McElwain) National Rank
Rushing Offense - 16 (430 attempts, 2160 yds)
Passing Offense - 101 (178/322, 1898 yds)
Passing Efficiency - 90
Total Offense - 63
Scoring Offense - 64 (23 ppg)
2006 record: 4-8

FRESNO 2007 (Under McElwain) National Rank
Rushing Offense - 14 (564 attempts, 2742 yds)
Passing Offense - 71 (215/343, 2712 yds)
Passing Efficiency - 28
Total Offense - 38
Scoring Offense - 32 (32.85 ppg)
2006 record: 9-4

Fresno State improved dramatically in every offensive category. Their QB went from 90th nationally in passing efficiency to 28th and the team's record improved from 4-8 to 9-4. I would say McElwain had a major impact.

Just thought some of you might like to known Bama hired and what type offense he runs.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Pat Hill is his own offensive coordinator. McElwain ran Hill's offense

Pat Hill is his own offensive coordinator. McElwain ran Hill's offense

Well, as I posted above, you can see the improvement that was made when McElwain was made offensive coordinator. But, I guess I should have expected a negative comment from someone.:dunno:

6th time is the charm. The SEC will be very interesting next year.

Not trying to start anything, but you do realize that it technically would be the 7th time. Ya'll have beat us 6 straight years. But since the majority of the posters on this board are SEC fans, I thought some of you may be interested in who we hired. Just as I was interested in who Auburn's new coordinators were, along with Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and whoever else hired new coaches.

On a side note, what's the deal with ya'll and Antoine Mclain? I heard two different stories. One said he called Tubby and told him that Auburn was out of the race and the other said Tubby dropped him for grade concerns. Any news?

I was talking about McElwain being the 6th candidate. I heard he was not going to make the grades and would have to go the juco route. Tuberville does not like to send linemen to juco.

I was talking about McElwain being the 6th candidate.

I've heard of an assistant from the Packers and another from Nebraska turning down the job; who were the other three?

Well, as I posted above, you can see the improvement that was made when McElwain was made offensive coordinator. But, I guess I should have expected a negative comment from someone.:dunno:
Your right they improved when McElwain was named offensive coordinator but that means little. The QB had more expirience this year. Players are supposed to improve as the years go along. As LSSpam stated Pat Hill runs his own offense.

Typical Bama, facts are "negative comments" :shrug:

Let me rephrase "HE"S GONNA BE LIKE DA' BEAR!"

Typical Bama, facts are "negative comments" :shrug:

Let me rephrase "HE"S GONNA BE LIKE DA' BEAR!"

Well we can't all hire offensive gurus like Kent Austin. Tell me, how is his offense going to work in a league where the endzone is 10 yards shorter? But if McElwain can IMPROVE an offense that was lights out with David Carr and has shown the ability to score from anywhere on the field, then Alabama is definitely glad to have him. And if you listened to Pat Hill's press conference announcing that McElwain had accepted the job at Alabama you would have heard him giving credit to their offensive turnaround to McElwain. I didn't know you were so vested in Fresno State's offense and that you sit in on their coaches meetings to see how their program is run.:9:

At least we have a BEAR to celebrate.

You are forgetting that your quarterback is John Parker Wilson. Nothing will change till he is gone. Is Pendry still going to develop the game plans?

Well we can't all hire offensive gurus like Kent Austin. Tell me, how is his offense going to work in a league where the endzone is 10 yards shorter? But if McElwain can IMPROVE an offense that was lights out with David Carr and has shown the ability to score from anywhere on the field, then Alabama is definitely glad to have him. And if you listened to Pat Hill's press conference announcing that McElwain had accepted the job at Alabama you would have heard him giving credit to their offensive turnaround to McElwain. I didn't know you were so vested in Fresno State's offense and that you sit in on their coaches meetings to see how their program is run.:9:

David Carr 4,839 yards 344/533 46 TDs 9 INTs
2007 QBs 2712 yards 215/343 15 TDs 5 INTs
2007 total offense 5454 so the 2007 offense had 615 more yards than Carr did passing but yes they improved.

:shrug:
I pointed out that McElwain ran Pat Hill's offense. Nothing more or less :) You're the one who got horribly insulted by that. I guess you didn't know that before? Or maybe you didn't want anyone else to know? I have no idea.

Good luck with Fresno State's quarterback coach. :9:
bearbryantgk2.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom