band (singer) with biggest quality gap - ie best + worst (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so this needs some qualifiers
so we're looking for bands (or singers) with the most great songs AND **** songs
we need at least 3 of each - no one hit or one **** wonders
both songs have to have had wide radio play (so no great songs and unheard b sides)

also, i'm taking Jefferson Airplane/Starship off the board

so this needs some qualifiers
so we're looking for bands (or singers) with the most great songs AND **** songs
we need at least 3 of each - no one hit or one **** wonders
both songs have to have had wide radio play (so no great songs and unheard b sides)

also, i'm taking Jefferson Airplane/Starship off the board

So which do you want - bands/singers? Or songs? Or both?

In any case, it is Bruce Springsteen.

i'm not even sure what my answer is...
i don't know her catalogue but i'm guessing Taylor Swift might run this
i haven't heard any of Kanye's new stuff, but he might win as well
...still thinking...

i think my answer is The Rolling Stones, but i'll have to dig for the 3 worst

I’m going on very little sleep so this might be kind of an oddball answer.. but I’m gonna say Jimmy Buffet... i used to be a big fan, not really anymore.. some of his songs hold up really well, I’m thinking of A Pirate Looks at Forty and Son of a Son of a Sailor... but oh my god some of the dreck he’s put out over the years sounds like it was written by a 7 year old, especially lyrically.. there are certain JB songs i will occasionally hear, and i cringe when i think about how much i used to like them.. honestly i think he’s a much better businessman than he is a musician.

I'm going with Chicago. Their early stuff was fantastic, but the pop garbage they put out in the latter years was atrocious.
yep, their horn/band sound in the beginning (aside from Color my World) was awesome.

I will go with U2 and The Cure, loved their early stuff, but today I don't think I would even identify their latest music.

I’m going on very little sleep so this might be kind of an oddball answer.. but I’m gonna say Jimmy Buffet... i used to be a big fan, not really anymore.. some of his songs hold up really well, I’m thinking of A Pirate Looks at Forty and Son of a Son of a Sailor... but oh my god some of the dreck he’s put out over the years sounds like it was written by a 7 year old, especially lyrically.. there are certain JB songs i will occasionally hear, and i cringe when i think about how much i used to like them.. honestly i think he’s a much better businessman than he is a musician.
Not to get on a tangent, but Jack Johnson & Dave Matthews did a great live cover of Pirate Looks at 40

I'm going with Chicago. Their early stuff was fantastic, but the pop garbage they put out in the latter years was atrocious.
Good choice. Imo, the band died along with Terry Kath. Rumor has it Jimi Hendrix once told Peter Cetera ,Your horn section is another voice and your guitar player is better than me.

I'm going to go with U2. Their early albums all the way through Joshua Tree were amazing. But the decline started quickly after that and they have gotten to the point of being unlistenable now.

R.E.M. has followed a similar path, but their music never got as bad as U2 and their newer music is still somewhat listenable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom