Bands that matter and why, and this is the best thread ever (2 Viewers)

Any one who thinks punk and bluegrass are somehow related hasn't listened to real bluegrass. Punk is basically 3 chord simpleness there is very little complexity in most punk music (MC5 being a bit of an outlier)....real bluegrass is very complex and difficult music to play well, some of the best musicians in the world are bluegrass players....
Erwin Flores of Los Saicos describes punk perfectly (Language NSFW):

"It's music by musicians who have no idea what they're doing"

Bluegrass on the other hand, whether you consider them "uneducated hicks" or whatever, are about the farthest thing from musicians who have no idea what they're doing. Bluegrass requires serious mastery of certain instruments, especially the banjo, fiddle, and often the mandolin, so it's about as far from Flores' pretty apt definition of punk rock as you can get.

Radiohead.

First off, I must admit. I haven't followed them much since OK Computer. As I've been spending time listening to their newer stuff (like, the last 15 years.. sheesh), their growth is so evident. There has always been a sort of sadness and beauty to their music.

I'll start with the song that really started it all for them. Creep. The song is so good my youngest likes it. haha. They really were this more alternative band that still is in that arena, but definitely in their own corner. Much more melodic as they've grown, and experimental. Really depends on the album. They matter to me for their first three albums. They probably matter to the music landscape for everything they've put out.

Stop Whispering, such a simple tune, sung pretty and with some power.

But really, it was the Bends album that hooked me. Probably helped that I spent a lot of time making out with a certain college girl while the Bend was playing in the background. haha. I just like the entire album, though. Every song is good. I dare someone to find a track that isn't good on that album.

The first Track, Planet Telex told you this wasn't exactly the same Radiohead from Pablo Honey.

As I'm currently listening to this one with headphones, I didn't realize how much the engineering moves the audio around. It's a new layer to a song I've known for 20+ years.

My Iron Lung just comes at you out of no where about a third of the way into the song.

And this is probably the most beautiful alternative song I've heard. it just puts me in a trance. I love that each new verse/chorus adds a layer to the sound.

Then you get into OK Computer, which built on the "this isn't the same album" mantra and added distinct songs, and a different musical direction, with a lot of the same comfortable sounds too. They mix in a bit more engineering magic with the headphones too.

And this is the 90's version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Exit Music was always a bit haunting to me. You can Laugh... a Spineless.... Laugh...

Karma Police is a pretty straight forward arrangement. But it just works.

The next album is way out there. A lot of Techno drums thrown in there, and other electronica elements. I enjoy Pyramid Song. The whole messing with the beat, with the drags, and then the end when they're kind of all over the place. Chaos and order.

Knives out.

I think I need to pick up some of their newer albums. ha.

Anyway, I need sleep. Their music is so interesting to listen to.

I appreciate your commentary St. Ward!

I think Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith deserve a mention. Inspirational Christian music that helps the soul.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom