Bands that matter and why, and this is the best thread ever (1 Viewer)

Bands that matter?

Tool.

Radio Head.

Metallica

Alice in Chains

I'll write the why a bit later when I can get on a PC and type.

Promises-promises.

I wasn't able to get on the computer. My kid is a camper...lol.

I'll start with Metallica. They matter. They defined Thrash Metal, and turned towards Hard Rock / Metal, and with some sprinkles of Thrash again. They are a massive juggernaut, even today. In the late 80's to mid 90's they were at the peak, and still reside near by. Their influence is everywhere. Their music is almost everywhere. They were and are (minus covid) a touring machine. Can you imagine the music landscape without them?

Then you have this craziness. Let's go run through a wall (figuratively).,

Ok, fine, that's sports. What about concerts?

Here's probably the biggest. 1.6 MILLION people. They literally played at the funeral of Communism. Technically a few months before the Soviet Union officially fell.

A little bit of language.

Even kinda old, a little rain won't stop them.

As a Front Man, James owns it. The man was lit on fire - by accident - almost died, and they still do massive pyro.

So many bands emulate their sound or have tried to. I like this chat from James talking about guitar, and later he gets into the sounds/tones.

And Kirk talking Guitars.

I love that after all these years, they warm up, practice, talk through things. And before the S&M2 show, Kirk is giving the pep talk to have fun, LISTEN, and LOOK (band teachers rejoice). It's a good reminder that this stuff doesn't just happen. It's work, a lot of work. It's practice, more practice, and more practice. The business side is a grind. It can be a fun grind, but it's a grind.

Canadian lover.

I think Billy Talent, The Guess Who, Alanis Morisette, Rush, Sum 41, Avril Lavigne, and Skye Sweetnam deserve some free maple syrup.
I'll start with Metallica. They matter. They defined Thrash Metal, and turned towards Hard Rock / Metal, and with some sprinkles of Thrash again. They are a massive juggernaut, even today. In the late 80's to mid 90's they were at the peak, and still reside near by. Their influence is everywhere. Their music is almost everywhere. They were and are (minus covid) a touring machine. Can you imagine the music landscape without them?

Then you have this craziness. Let's go run through a wall (figuratively).,

Ok, fine, that's sports. What about concerts?

Here's probably the biggest. 1.6 MILLION people. They literally played at the funeral of Communism. Technically a few months before the Soviet Union officially fell.

A little bit of language.

Even kinda old, a little rain won't stop them.

As a Front Man, James owns it. The man was lit on fire - by accident - almost died, and they still do massive pyro.

So many bands emulate their sound or have tried to. I like this chat from James talking about guitar, and later he gets into the sounds/tones.

And Kirk talking Guitars.

I love that after all these years, they warm up, practice, talk through things. And before the S&M2 show, Kirk is giving the pep talk to have fun, LISTEN, and LOOK (band teachers rejoice). It's a good reminder that this stuff doesn't just happen. It's work, a lot of work. It's practice, more practice, and more practice. The business side is a grind. It can be a fun grind, but it's a grind.

Yeah, Metallica matters no question, and they don't really need a why answer, but I just want to understand why people like certain groups, or artists.

Alice in Chains matters.

They were thrown in with the Grunge bands, but they weren't really grunge. They were more metal / hard rock, just with some angst too. They didn't start out with a lot of harmonies, but it grew into their signature sound of Layne and Jerry both singing to give haunting melodies. Everyone talks about Nirvana's Unplugged being great, but Alice in Chains Unplugged was just as powerful, sad, beautiful, and pretty much all their songs. It was also a look into the depths Layne had fallen into due to drug addiction. He may not have died as soon after their unplugged as Kurt did, but that was his early farewell.

The newer version of the band is good, just not as good. Also, Jerry Cantrell's solo albums have had some real burners for songs too.

It's funny, I wasn't into AIC when they were 'new'. I remembered a few of their songs due to MTV, but it wasn't until I was in college and buying CD's, and re-discovering bands that I realized, every song from the 90's I really liked, but couldn't remember who did it, were almost ALL from Alice in Chains. Great riffs, I love harmony, guitar solos, solid drumming, and Layne's haunting crooning.

Their first track from Facelift pretty much called it.

Just don't put them in a box. ;)

Bleed the Freak is a song I really liked, despite not being a single.

Then Dirt came out... Oh, My, God... Some say we're born into the grave...

Down in a Hole is such a beautiful song. I think the Acoustic may be better, though.

Side note, on the off chance some folks don't know...Metallica was in attendance for this Unplugged show. They were big fans. That's why the bass player made the joke on his acoustic about friends not letting friends get hair cut.

Rooster was a big epic song.

Angry chair is just cool.

But the bass line in Would? is just so cool.

Jar of Flies sort of changed their sound. I Stay Away and No Excuses are the big stand outs.

The self titled album mostly returned to their usual sound, with Heaven Beside You being more like Jar of Flies.

But Again, was a straight up head banger.

Their newer stuff isn't as impactful, but Lesson Learned, Check My Brain... good stuff.

Ending on Would?

I think Billy Talent, The Guess Who, Alanis Morisette, Rush, Sum 41, Avril Lavigne, and Skye Sweetnam deserve some free maple syrup.

Yeah, Metallica matters no question, and they don't really need a why answer, but I just want to understand why people like certain groups, or artists.

I forgot, I wanted to post this exact video.. Metallica has their own ARMY! haha.

Oh, and the short version of why I'm such a fan of Metallica..

Energy, Power, Excitement, Kick arse.

If you took all that and turned it into music, that's Metallica.

They, and a few other bands, bring me back to my college Pep Band days banging out tunes, jumping around like an energizer bunny and just having a lot of fun in the stadium.

I'll get to Tool and Radio head another day, but I'll just say, amazing song writers, great depth of sound, experimentation. They're in different directions, but I'd argue they are two of the most important musical bands of the last 30 years.

Overall that performance was a knock out and will hardly be forgotten anytime soon. To belittle Nirvana, because they did some cover songs on their unplugged set, seems rather out of place, but hey, if that's how you feel, so be it.
i didn't belittle them or the Unplugged show :shrug:

i even agreed that they 'matter', whatever that means

I remember reading that when Nirvana wrote Nevermind they were trying to copy the sound of Surfer Rosa from the Pixies. Nevermind definitely has that Surfer Rosa sound and to me, it makes Nevermind less of a ground breaking album, and Nirvana less of a ground breaking band.

More on the Pixies Surfer Rosa and the influence it had on other bands/albums.

I would think that bands who changed music and were influential to other bands for years to come are the ones that matter the most. There are actually quite a few:

Elvis
The Beatles
Hendrix
Jackson Five
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Yes
Pink Floyd
Heart
Queen
Rush?
Michael Jackson
Boston
Van Halen
Nirvana
Dave Matthews Band?

I don't follow rap/hip-hop but Run DMC maybe? or MC Hammer? in the early days

There are many more in other genres, for sure, but these are the ones that I think of when I think of the musical movers and shakers I'm mostly aware of

Canadian lover.

Yep, I learned to play guitar by mostly Rush songs....

Bob Marley was so influential that the Jamaican Labour Party's infamous Shower Posse was sent to his house to silence him with automatic weapons. He was shot twice, his wife was shot in the head, his manager Don Taylor was shot six times and yet just two days later he appeared on stage at the Smile Jamaica peace concert, even though many thought he would be murdered there.
The first third-world musical superstar, he played at the independence ceremony in Harare Zimbabwe. When trouble broke out in the crowd and tear gas cannisters were fired, the fumes reached the stage and most of his band and supporters started to evacuate.
Marley remained resolute and said to them...now we will see who are the real revolutionaries......

Great call, he was a giant, a legend, a very principled man who meant exactly what he said, i have nothing but love and respect for him and his music....

I'm not a Metallica fan (I actually think DT is more talented as musicians) but you can't deny their influence and impact.

I like AIC and STP better than Nirvana, their music was much more complex than Nirvana, which appeals to me.

I've said it before but STP was by far the more dynamic band, they could be heavy and dark or light and poppy at times (in a good Glam rock way). AIC was dark and heavy and they did it very well, Cantrell is a great player and writer, Staley was the perfect vocalist for their music....
He was a giant.
marley.jpg

I would think that bands who changed music and were influential to other bands for years to come are the ones that matter the most. There are actually quite a few:

Elvis
The Beatles
Hendrix
Jackson Five
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Yes
Pink Floyd
Heart
Queen
Rush?
Michael Jackson
Boston
Van Halen
Nirvana
Dave Matthews Band?

I don't follow rap/hip-hop but Run DMC maybe? or MC Hammer? in the early days

There are many more in other genres, for sure, but these are the ones that I think of when I think of the musical movers and shakers I'm mostly aware of
So Grand Master Flash seems the clear candidate for ‘Godfather’ while acknowledging the several DJs were the genesis (but their impact was contained inside the culture)

from GMF I’ll argue for 2 branches:
A: ‘Party’ hip hop — Run DMC, then Beasties, then the litany of 90s Bling Rap - Outkast & Kanye kinda rescued this branch from parody
B: 'CNN of the streets' -- Public Enemy obviously, then NWA (Snoop Dogg started here then jumped to the other branch), Tribe & De La, Eminem,The Fugees and then Nas

around the early Kanye/Nas time, hip hop was able to start wresting control of the music from the big labels who had a major hand in shaping the influence because of how they marketed

big caveat - i was taking 'influential' to mean having impact and reach (it would 'matter' to both hip hop culture and the 'broader' culture)
obviously acts like KRS One, Eric B/Rakim, Ice T, and may many others were highly influential to the development of both rap and hip hop

More on the Pixies Surfer Rosa and the influence it had on other bands/albums.

I don't know why the Pixies are so loved, tried to listen to that album, and just didn't feel it. I like The Breeders and even L7, but Pixies sound like alternative college rock to me. Just my take.

Nirvana brought punk rock to the front lines, when Michael Jackson, and Metal ruled the air waves.

I'm gonna mention The Angry Samoans, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, NOFX, The Muffs, Pennywise, The Offspring (early stuff), Green Day, Pantera, Operation Ivy, X, Sublime, Social Distortion, No Doubt, The Vandals, and Guttermouth.

Angry Samoans - Added to the hardcore sound with fast and catchy songs

Minor Threat - Punk and straight edge movement with the East Coast Hardcore Sound.

Bad Religion - Melodic punk, but I didn't like the anti-christ message.

NOFX - Funny punk that was annoying almost all the time. Fat Mike!

The Muffs - Orange County girl-punk rock with less offensive lyrics, and more down to earth

Pennywise - Anti-establishment with a unity message

The Offspring - Orange County punk for the masses

Green Day - Commercial pop punk

Pantera - Groovy metal

Operation Ivy - Ska punk that meant something

Sublime - Local party band that hit all the right notes

Social Distortion - Orange County punk band with a do it yourself attitude. Blue collar punk!

No Doubt - Orange County ska band with some pop with a singer that everyone liked.

The Vandals - Orange County punk band the represents the area.

Guttermouth - Orange County punk band that just played good music.

Last edited:
I don't know why the Pixies are so loved, tried to listen to that album, and just didn't feel it. I like The Breeders and even L7, but Pixies sound like alternative college rock to me. Just my take.

Nirvana brought punk rock to the front lines, when Michael Jackson, and Metal ruled the air waves.

I'm gonna mention The Angry Samoans, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, NOFX, The Muffs, Pennywise, The Offspring (early stuff), Green Day, Pantera, Operation Ivy, X, Sublime, Social Distortion, No Doubt, The Vandals, and Guttermouth.

Angry Samoans - Added to the hardcore sound with fast and catchy songs

Minor Threat - Punk and straight edge movement with the East Coast Hardcore Sound.

Bad Religion - Melodic punk, but I didn't like the anti-christ message.

NOFX - Funny punk that was annoying almost all the time. Fat Mike!

The Muffs - Orange County girl-punk rock with less offensive lyrics, and more down to earth

Pennywise - Anti-establishment with a unity message

The Offspring - Orange County punk for the masses

Green Day - Commercial pop punk

Pantera - Groovy metal

Operation Ivy - Ska punk that meant something

Sublime - Local party band that hit all the right notes

Social Distortion - Orange County punk band with a do it yourself attitude. Blue collar punk!

No Doubt - Orange County ska band with some pop with a singer that everyone liked.

The Vandals - Orange County punk band the represents the area.

Guttermouth - Orange County punk band that just played good music.
I listened to No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom more times than I'd like to admit.

Radiohead.

First off, I must admit. I haven't followed them much since OK Computer. As I've been spending time listening to their newer stuff (like, the last 15 years.. sheesh), their growth is so evident. There has always been a sort of sadness and beauty to their music.

I'll start with the song that really started it all for them. Creep. The song is so good my youngest likes it. haha. They really were this more alternative band that still is in that arena, but definitely in their own corner. Much more melodic as they've grown, and experimental. Really depends on the album. They matter to me for their first three albums. They probably matter to the music landscape for everything they've put out.

Stop Whispering, such a simple tune, sung pretty and with some power.

But really, it was the Bends album that hooked me. Probably helped that I spent a lot of time making out with a certain college girl while the Bend was playing in the background. haha. I just like the entire album, though. Every song is good. I dare someone to find a track that isn't good on that album.

The first Track, Planet Telex told you this wasn't exactly the same Radiohead from Pablo Honey.

As I'm currently listening to this one with headphones, I didn't realize how much the engineering moves the audio around. It's a new layer to a song I've known for 20+ years.

My Iron Lung just comes at you out of no where about a third of the way into the song.

And this is probably the most beautiful alternative song I've heard. it just puts me in a trance. I love that each new verse/chorus adds a layer to the sound.

Then you get into OK Computer, which built on the "this isn't the same album" mantra and added distinct songs, and a different musical direction, with a lot of the same comfortable sounds too. They mix in a bit more engineering magic with the headphones too.

And this is the 90's version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Exit Music was always a bit haunting to me. You can Laugh... a Spineless.... Laugh...

Karma Police is a pretty straight forward arrangement. But it just works.

The next album is way out there. A lot of Techno drums thrown in there, and other electronica elements. I enjoy Pyramid Song. The whole messing with the beat, with the drags, and then the end when they're kind of all over the place. Chaos and order.

Knives out.

I think I need to pick up some of their newer albums. ha.

Anyway, I need sleep. Their music is so interesting to listen to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom