Bands that matter and why, and this is the best thread ever (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So, everyone has favorite artists they like, yes, and of course your favorite band is the best.

Write down why this band you like matters and why. This would be a great music appreciation thread that will highlight important bands.

Why this is the best thread ever, because the bonus feature will include discussion on Joey Ramone vs Kurt Cobain. Which artist was more influential, had a better front man personality, which lyrics where meaningful, and any other metric?

Any music style, any artist, and any band or song writer that matters...

Bands that matter and why?

Really hard to say who was more influential, both Joey and Kurt were hugely influential. I definitely think that Kurt’s lyrics were more meaningful, without question.

But Joey had a way better front-man personality and was far better suited to be a front man. I think he embraced it and added his own style to it in a way that was totally his own and sustainable for decades. Kurt’s relationship with his role with Nirvana was far more conflicted and precarious, I think.

You can talk about Kurt’s music, his meaning and influence, and even his talent in really substantive terms but I just don’t think you can make him out to be a meaningful “front man” in the history of bands. But Joey Ramone is a hall-of-famer.

Can we talk about the statement I have heard many people utter: "Music is so important to me"? I've heard it many times and almost verbatim to exactly how I phrased it every time. Why do you think people feel this way? Why do you think they say it? Have you ever said it? We have so many of these types of threads I'm almost certain most of us at least have had the thought.

But I've never heard it said by a person I would actually define as a "musical" person meaning someone who performs or creates music either prolifically as a pastime or avocation or as a livelihood. My entire family has always been "musical" (mother was a music teacher, sister played flute and was a music teacher. None of us has ever sang professionally but always sang a lot whether in the choir, sometimes in church as a family together, mom in opera when she was younger, or just, you know, recreationally) and I can't remember any one of us ever stating that phrase but music certainly WAS and is important to us.

Classical music is important to me because I frequently call it my "attitude adjustment". Some composers' works just change my brain chemistry so profoundly I can feel it when I listen to it. Some contemporary bands/singers can do the same thing but on a smaller scale.

My contribution? I would have to say The Beatles (or, more specifically Lennon/McCartney). Not only was The Beatles, of course, hugely popular and commercially successful as a unit; but frequently, I greatly prefer the covers that performers have done of Lennon/McCartney songs over The Beatles versions. "Across the Universe" and "I Will" are the first two that come to mind.

Can we talk about the statement I have heard many people utter: "Music is so important to me"? I've heard it many times and almost verbatim to exactly how I phrased it every time. Why do you think people feel this way? Why do you think they say it? Have you ever said it? We have so many of these types of threads I'm almost certain most of us at least have had the thought.

But I've never heard it said by a person I would actually define as a "musical" person meaning someone who performs or creates music either prolifically as a pastime or avocation or as a livelihood. My entire family has always been "musical" (mother was a music teacher, sister played flute and was a music teacher. None of us has ever sang professionally but always sang a lot whether in the choir, sometimes in church as a family together, mom in opera when she was younger, or just, you know, recreationally) and I can't remember any one of us ever stating that phrase but music certainly WAS and is important to us.

Classical music is important to me because I frequently call it my "attitude adjustment". Some composers' works just change my brain chemistry so profoundly I can feel it when I listen to it. Some contemporary bands/singers can do the same thing but on a smaller scale.

My contribution? I would have to say The Beatles (or, more specifically Lennon/McCartney). Not only was The Beatles, of course, hugely popular and commercially successful as a unit; but frequently, I greatly prefer the covers that performers have done of Lennon/McCartney songs over The Beatles versions. "Across the Universe" and "I Will" are the first two that come to mind.
i think those who are 'in" music can't help but approach music as a composition - like they can see the mechanics at work (I know i'm that way with theatre and dance - i immediately see process way more than product)
so for me, a non-musical person - music can be like magic - i don't know how it does it, it just does
now
music is also the most easily consumed art - you can literally play a piece of music as much as you want and in any number of places (if you have it playing on a device through headphones)
no other art form can come close - in my 20s i was crazy for Rodin - if i was in a city that had a Rodin, i was going to that museum. but that meant i would see a Rodin piece 4-5 times a year maybe
so I could listen to a Tome Waits song maybe 400x more than i could see a Rodin
and my ear recall is better than my visual recall - so i can remember the song much better than the physical art

Bands that matter?

Tool.

Radio Head.

Metallica

Alice in Chains

I'll write the why a bit later when I can get on a PC and type.

I really like Kurt and Joey. They have a lot of similarities in they were both tortured souls in their fame. They were both pretty introverted people and I would imagine fame is hard for people like that.

I think Joey was more distinctive and original than Kurt, but Kurt was probably a better songwriter.

"End of the Century" documentary of the Ramones is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Really hard to say who was more influential, both Joey and Kurt were hugely influential. I definitely think that Kurt’s lyrics were more meaningful, without question.

But Joey had a way better front-man personality and was far better suited to be a front man. I think he embraced it and added his own style to it in a way that was totally his own and sustainable for decades. Kurt’s relationship with his role with Nirvana was far more conflicted and precarious, I think.

You can talk about Kurt’s music, his meaning and influence, and even his talent in really substantive terms but I just don’t think you can make him out to be a meaningful “front man” in the history of bands. But Joey Ramone is a hall-of-famer.

Valid thoughts.

I think Joey was more intelligent, while Kurt was more artistic. Who is the better front man is really a perspective. Both were good in their own right.

Joey's lyrics were more candy like rebellion, while Kurt's lyrics seemed like twisted poetry.

Both were exceptional and ground breaking, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

The Only Band That Matters, because it was the only band that mattered. :hihi:

As for Joey Ramone and Kurt Cobain...

The Ramones, overrated. Catchy, rebellious teen, candy cane, radio-friendly tunes, sure..., back in the day, every rock station was playing Rock'n'Roll High School, but no one dared touch Johnny Hit'n'Run Paulene or White Minority.

As far as tormented souls go, I prefer the tormented soul of Eddie Vedder. Then again, while I can appreciate the lyrics, I've never been part of the Prozac nation. And never mind going to see them live... especially after seeing groups like RHCP and RATM on stage (to keep it somewhat within the genre)

Then there are a number of singers/bands you've never heard of (well, maybe Mocedades) because they all live in the Spanish world.

Last edited:

Music is important, pretty sure Psalms is the largest book in the Bible. I think music confirms or maybe even rationalizes the human experience. It's a connection of sorts to our souls, our innermost feelings about life and the trials the come along our way. Yes? Just shooting from the hip here.

I can relate to your classical music tastes, but have to be in the right mood. I would probably play some Bob Marley music to change the mood. Also, Christian Praise music helps create balance for me. That's pretty cool that you played at church. It's a different perspective at church, it seems more like a performance, than praising God. This might help explain Lucifer's fall.

I played a few times at church, and think musicians should be paid, just like the pastor, since there is a lot of time, effort, and skill that goes into it. That's another discussion altogether though.

Undead Snoopy would of liked your post on The Beatles. What would you say, to someone who has never heard of The Beatles? What makes The Beatles special in your mind?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom