Banned from NBA games? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
seems a little harsh.

++++++++++++++++++++

Season-ticket holder Hooman Hamzehloui allegedly called Mutombo a "monkey" Thursday at a preseason game between the Rockets and the Magic. Mutombo - a native of Zaire, which is now called the Democratic Republic of Congo - yelled back at Hamzehloui and gestured from the court.

Hamzehloui was ejected from the game. The league said Hamzehloui is also barred from attending games at any NBA arena this season.

Mutombo said after the game he would go into the stands if it ever happened again.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6117032?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8705

++++++++++++++++++++

The fan gets banned for a year for calling him a monkey, but the player who threatens to "go into the stands" doesn't even get a reprimand?

Discuss.

I think it is way too harsh, give him a suspension for a few games but not the season.
He was just talking smack, Dikembe needs to get some thicker skin.

I know that was a racist comment, but shouldn't athletes that play professional sports have thicker skin?

And if Mutombo or any other NBA player went into the stands after the incident at Detroit, they should be banned from ever playing in the NBA again.

"Hamzehloui sent Mutombo a letter of apology obtained by The Associated Press. In it, he promised $5,000 to the charity of Mutombo's choice and vowed not to attend any games until the 7-foot-2 center gave his blessing."

Wow,at least he knows how to try and make up for it.

I'm fine with the suspension. It's only for a year, the fan was reimbursed and maybe he won't be such an idiot next time.

Regardless of intent, the man did use a racial slur and the players shouldn't have to put up with that.

The reason why Mutombo wasn't sanctioned? Because he didn't do anything.

Part of me thinks the apology and corresponding actions are enough to allow him back to the games. Another part of me thinks tough love would be better to open his eyes.

Meh, I don't know to be honest.

Cheer - Great.
Boo - Okay.
Curse or yell racist words - You're outta here.

If monkey is a racial slur then I find this commercial racist.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HRGpBard3RU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HRGpBard3RU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Every person in the lab is white then the monkey has a voice of a black man.

Lets look deeper:

The man said he did not know the term "monkey" was racist or insensitive. If he is telling the truth, a 1 yr band seems harsh.

With the name Hooman Hamzehloui, its possible that he may be from another country where the term "monkey" is not bad. (did I just stereotype?) ;)

Ive heard black NBA players say racist things. No one year ban for them though. No punishment at all, actually. Wasnt it Shaq who said "no white guy will ever dunk on me"? I remember another NBA player, though I cant remember his name, being interviewed by a white reporter when he got mad at the reporter, talked smack to him, and punctuated it with a "white boy" at the end. There are probably very few people who remember these incidents though, because hardly anything was made of them. Reverse the sitiuation though, and oh my God. It would be the worst thing that ever happened in the history of sports. Now I dont think a big deal should be made of any of these ignorant comments because thats all they are, ignorant comments. Doesnt mean the people who make em are "racist." But the NBA should either treat all these incidents as being equally offensive or cut the pc bullcrap and tell people to suck it up and get some thicker skin.

I wonder if the ban would be this harsh if the Ron Artest brawl had not occurred?:scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom