Barack Obama's Controversial Pastor Puts Church (and possibly Barack) In Hot Water (1 Viewer)

Pure Energy

Rethink Everything
Reaction score
Mountain out of a mole hill or should Churches be allowed to endorse whoever they please?
"It's pretty clear an indirect endorsement of Barack Obama — that's not something you're supposed to do according to the tax code," said Andrew Walsh, a professor at Trinity College who specializes in religion in politics.
The tax code bans churches from participating in or intervening in a political campaign. Violations can result in the loss of a church's tax exempt status.
The Obama campaign issued a statement in response to FOX News' inquiries about Wright's sermons.
"Senator Obama has said repeatedly that personal attacks such as this have no place in this campaign or our politics, whether they're offered from a platform at a rally or the pulpit of a church," said Bill Burton, a campaign spokesman.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337308,00.html

Fox is going on a full-blown crusade about Rev. Wright.

Tonight, O'Reilly played a tape of one of Wright's sermons where he was yelling "Damn America!"

They've also got Wright on tape saying the goverment lied about creating HIV to kill people of color...9/11...WMDs...etc.

Not good. Sen. Obama is going to have to address this.

you can alway count on good old foxnews for a extreme right wing spin to everything...... i wonder if that crazy evengelical reverend haggen and his church's tax exemption is at stake since he was on stage with john mccain and "directly" endorsed him??? i already know that answer to that...of course not......

you can alway count on good old foxnews for a extreme right wing spin to everything...... i wonder if that crazy evengelical reverend haggen and his church's tax exemption is at stake since he was on stage with john mccain and "directly" endorsed him??? i already know that answer to that...of course not......

Please refresh my memory....how many years did McCain attend his church? What books did he write based on Haggen's sermons?

Fox is going on a full-blown crusade about Rev. Wright.

Tonight, O'Reilly played a tape of one of Wright's sermons where he was yelling "Damn America!"

They've also got Wright on tape saying the goverment lied about creating HIV to kill people of color...9/11...WMDs...etc.

Not good. Sen. Obama is going to have to address this.

i just don't know dads....why does obama "have" to address what a already retired pastor said last year, or what he said 5 years ago? this is not something that was said yesterday, it took the good ole boys at foxnews all this time to dig this video up....i wonder why they haven't dug up any haggen videos...but i already know that answer to that.:idunno:

i just don't know dads....why does obama "have" to address what a already retired pastor said last year, or what he said 5 years ago? this is not something that was said yesterday, it took the good ole boys at foxnews all this time to dig this video up....i wonder why they haven't dug up any haggen videos...but i already know that answer to that.:idunno:

The right-wing media mouthpieces aren't going to let go until he does. O'Reilly said just said so.

Sen. Obama can address it, or ignore it.

What would you advise him to do, Rabdog?

Please refresh my memory....how many years did McCain attend his church? What books did he write based on Haggen's sermons?

and what books has obama writen based on wright's sermons.....the audacity of hope is based on obama's own life...you are believing your own spin...have you read the book??? i don't think you have....and as for the tax question, a church is not suppose to be involved in political campains, thats actively campaining endorseing or what have you, it has nothing to do with whether or not you are a member of the church or not

The right-wing media mouthpieces aren't going to let go until he does. O'Reilly said just said so.

Sen. Obama can address it, or ignore it.

What would you advise him to do, Rabdog?

i believe the last time this issue was drugged up he has already addressed this, my advice to him would be to get back to the issues, and leave all the dumb **** to foxnews

So many just assume the Clinton campaign is playing the race card, and the media and Obama's campaign promote it as fact. I disagree with them, and think the media especially, followed by the Obama campaign are playing the race card.

Geez, do you think McCain or Clinton would have a snowball's chance if their respective churches of 20 years took a position on whites similar to Obama's church's position on blacks? No way.

Mod Edit: Video Removed Due to Racial Epithet - DD

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it may have to be the church as an institution endorsing Obama. The pastor as an individual can endorse whomever he wants. That is how Hagee got away with it. HE endorsed Mccain not his Church. Obama's pastor did the same thing. This is just a hook for them to attach the controversial stuff on to.

So many just assume the Clinton campaign is playing the race card, and the media and Obama's campaign promote it as fact. I disagree with them, and think the media especially, followed by the Obama campaign are playing the race card.

Geez, do you think McCain or Clinton would have a snowball's chance if their respective churches of 20 years took a position on whites similar to Obama's church's position on blacks? No way.

Mod Edit: Video Removed Due to Racial Epithet - DD

once again this dude is retired, he is not a part of obama campain,you have never heard a member of obama's campain marginalize hillary based on her race, but you can NOT say the same thing of members of hillary's campain....i stress "members" of her "campain"...i think a little common sense is in order here

once again this dude is retired, he is not a part of obama campain,you have never heard a member of obama's campain marginalize hillary based on her race, but you can NOT say the same thing of members of hillary's campain....i stress "members" of her "campain"...i think a little common sense is in order here

So he's not a committee member of Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee?

Y'all, if you want see the videos of Rev. Wright's sermons, please go find them yourselves.

Some of them contain words which are racial epithets and don't belong here on the the EE Board.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom