Barak Obama's stance on the Second Amendment and his voting record on Guns (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have doubts that Obama would have the votes to get much of anything done on gun control if he were elected. The Democrats in the House are pretty conservative on gun rights. There will not be a repeat of the Assault Weapons Ban unless the Democrats. The Congressional leadership is well aware that they lost control of both houses mainly for that one issue.

Obama will have higher priorities anyways. Immigration reform, health care, taxing the heck out of me, etc, etc, etc. He won't touch gun control until his second term (assuming he gets a 1st term.)

Saint77

Burrrrrrrsitis!
Reaction score
Yeah, I went into this on another thread. My point at the time is that, I feel the repubs are probably going to get some roasting points on him for this, should he make it as the dem candidate for the presidential race.

In 2004, Obama said he supports a national ban on concealed carry because the states that allow it are "threatening the safety of Illinois residents."
For someone I consider a fairly intelligent and reasonable person, this is probably one of the most ignorant statements ive seen. Id love to hear him go into this more.

I doubt the majority of his supporters consider his stance on gun control a make or break issue.

Mostly likely not, unless they've ever been a victim of a gun crime and happen to carry concealed or happen to be avid gun owners. I would tend to think most of his supports are either nuetral to to full on haters.

a link to some more info to digest, for those interested.

http://pajamasmedia.com/2008/02/obama_shooting_himself_in_the.php

Shawn

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I have no problem with it.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I have doubts that Obama would have the votes to get much of anything done on gun control if he were elected. The Democrats in the House are pretty conservative on gun rights. There will not be a repeat of the Assault Weapons Ban unless the Democrats. The Congressional leadership is well aware that they lost control of both houses mainly for that one issue.

:hihi: No they didn't. I agree that any sort of "gun control" issue would struggle in the House but you're waaaaaaay off if you think the Assault Weapons ban was the most significant, muchless the only, issue that cost the Dem's both houses in 1994.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What do you think?

Why not tell us what you think?

Gun issues aren't as significant to me but I consider myself a supporter of the second amendment. I don't believe, however, that means one must take an unfettered approach to firearms.

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Obama's campaign has focused on the enforcement of current laws, proper registration, and preventing illegal sales to reduce crime gun availability. He should have a more detailed gun policy after gearing up for the general. I suspect handguns and CCWs will be safe, RPGs not so much.

OP
Diabolik The Saint

Diabolik The Saint

Very Banned
Reaction score
Why not tell us what you think?

Gun issues aren't as significant to me but I consider myself a supporter of the second amendment. I don't believe, however, that means one must take an unfettered approach to firearms.
I am also a supporter if the second amendment. I am a gun collector and a Duck, Woodcock and Quail Hunter. I dont want my right to bear arms taken away. Remember what happened in England awhile back. The hunters and citizens had to turn their guns in and they were melted down. I cant remember what year though.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Remember what happened in England awhile back. The hunters and citizens had to turn their guns in and they were melted down. I cant remember what year though.

In your understanding of what has happened in England, what correlations do you see in the established liberties there, the legal climate, cultural norms, and societal opinion as a precursor to the impact on the Second Amendment in the United States?

ra

I'm happily on drugs
Reaction score
I think that since the chance of me ever needing a gun approaches zero, I'm quite happy that he'll be chapping your hide for the next four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom