Barnwell's 2019 midseason NFL awards (gives Saints some love, which is atypical of his writing) (1 Viewer)

Summed7

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I've enjoyed Barnwell's stuff since back in the Grantland days, but he never seemed to give the Saints their due. I don't think it was so much a slight as more of they were always a little below his radar. Anyway, he slots Payton in at 3 behind Belichick and Shanahan. Offensive player of the year has Michael Thomas at #2 (only has QBs up for MVP, which frankly, I agree with). And the big come up was Cameron Jordon ahead of Aaron Donald at #2 for Defensive Player of the Year!

I don't put too much stock in rankings one way or another, bc, as a Saint's fan, it too often leads to disappointment and anger issues, and I'd rather sit back and enjoy my team. BUT to see some of the guys get a smidge of credit after all the hardwork they put in, all the while doing it with class and repping our city/region as their home, I will take a sec and enjoy it for them. Man I love this team.

Good article, but I am biased.

1) Sean is the COY. Nobody has done as much (given their circumstances) more than Sean.

2) Gilmore would take the DPOY over Cam? Yeah right. Gilmore is a great cb but Cam alters games.

3) I don’t think Thomas finishes that high in the MVP race. If Calvin Johnson couldn’t finish higher than 4th during his best year I don’t see how any WR gets higher than that.

4) If OROY really was about OROY, McCoy would win it hands down.

I'm pretty sure that award is reserved for people in their first year back from injury. He wouldn't qualify.
True, but if the league cannot realize that TBs career was basically over and he spent 3 years on the comeback trail to likely make himself the crown jewel in next years FA scramble then they are tone deaf. If that isnt a comeback then I don't know what one is.

True, but if the league cannot realize that TBs career was basically over and he spent 3 years on the comeback trail to likely make himself the crown jewel in next years FA scramble then they are tone deaf. If that isnt a comeback then I don't know what one is.
Oh, I agree. If this had happened last year, I think he'd be a shoe in, and deserve it. QB is unique for an award like this because you can "come back" and be a backup, whereas at LB, when you come back, you're playing 16 games.

Having Sean Payton lower than Bill BellyChick on that list is criminal. I could see the argument of Shanahan vs Payton at this stage of the season but the 2nd half will really tell the tale.

But how is guiding the defending Super Bowl champion team to a great record after sustaining zero major injuries or losing zero major free agents suddenly a modern miracle of coaching?

Having Sean Payton lower than Bill BellyChick on that list is criminal. I could see the argument of Shanahan vs Payton at this stage of the season but the 2nd half will really tell the tale.

But how is guiding the defending Super Bowl champion team to a great record after sustaining zero major injuries or losing zero major free agents suddenly a modern miracle of coaching?
Especially considering the quality of their competition thus far.

First time they faced a real team was last night and they got handled.

Rivers won it in 2013 and played all 16 games the prior season.
What was he coming back from then? That's just weird. Was he injured the entire off-season?

EDIT:

Looked up the "rules":
to search
The National Football League Comeback Player of the Year Award refers to a number of awards that are given to a National Football League (NFL) player who has shown perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance.

I read this earlier and one thing really irked me.

He says that Coach of the Year normally goes to a new coach that turns around a team (which it usually does). He says that Payton breaks that mold because of his stretch without Brees. Then ahead of him he lists Belichick.

I don't get that logic at all. The Patriots not being undefeated in that early stretch would be bigger news than them going undefeated. On what merit is Belichick even on the list.

3) I don’t think Thomas finishes that high in the MVP race. If Calvin Johnson couldn’t finish higher than 4th during his best year I don’t see how any WR gets higher than that.
Crazy to think that a kicker won this award in the modern NFL (Mark Moseley with the Redskins in 1982).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom