Barnwell's off season moves for Saints - right or wrong? (1 Viewer)

You better have a good plan in place to replace Peat before you let him walk. OL and DL are keys to making another run IMO.

I’m fine with cutting Coleman.
I think we give Dez another shot. This injury will cause him to rehab hard and train hard. Reports were that he wasn’t staying in great shape while away from football.
I’d be fine with letting Peat go.
Trading up for Murray will never happen.
I like MI, but if he wants a big deal, or to be a “featured” back somewhere, then I wouldn’t be mad at him. When he returned from suspension, he sorta veered back to his “impatient” running. His vision was nothing like it was in 2017. Maybe, he was just overly anxious to be back and to make the most of his touches. And he was not utilized in the passing game like he should have been. However, I love his pass blocking and it’s vital to keep Drew vertical. So, yes, hopefully he signs for a deal similar to the one he signed previously

Interesting ideas:

* Create cap space -- release Coleman and Meredith
* Let Ingram leave if price is too high (no more than $4m)
* Re-sign Peat
* Maintain the D - Pick up option on Rankins, add another rusher in free agency
* Trade up for Kyler Murray within reason

LINK

Thoughts?
I really want Ingram to remain, but if he doesn't there are some very intriguing options in the draft this year.

1. Release Coleman. Release Meredith only if needed to sign another, healthier WR.

2. Agree. That's Ingram's value. But I think he knows and stays here.

3. No. This is a prove-it year for Peat. It'better loosing 10-20 millions in 2020 (spread on 5 years) than 65 millions now for a player who can't stay on the field.

4. Obviously, we need Okafor or somebody else.

5. No, no, no, no. We had a very mediocre draft last year, we'll have a bad draft this year. Trading up picks from 2020 and 21 (because you'd have to) means putting the franchise in a hole. We still have a Drew Brees, you know.

Interesting ideas:

* Re-sign Peat

LINK

Thoughts?

1. I'm so-so with releasing Coleman. I don't know if he frees up enough space to easily replace him (4mil). Might be an improvement, possibly a lateral move. Not against it, never liked the Coleman move, just might be worth waiting one more year. I think we hold on to Meredith to see if he's healthy. If he's still struggling to get back I'd agree.

2. I agree but would bump that up to around 6 mil per year max.

3. Agree, but strongly disagree with his reasoning. This should be to fix his high cost more than retaining Peat. I would be happy to retain him for around 4 mil per year. The numbers he put in the article are insane. He was one of the worst graded guards in the league and that would almost put him as the highest paid LG. I would happily roll with one of our backups if Peat is asking for anything in the realm of 13 mil per year.

4. Agree for the most part. I like Hendrickson and Davenport so don't think DE is a huge issue but would like to resign Okafor. DT may become a bigger issue but we'll have to wait and see. We'll have to sign at least one, that might just be re-signing Davison.

5. No

Last edited:
Meredith would be hard to walk away from after the $ we've invested. Especially without ever seeing what he could really do in this offense. However, if we were to know his injury wasn't going to fully heal... then I can see us letting him go.

You sign Mark Ingram unless you have a adequate and cheaper RB to replace him. We can find cheaper, but adequate? Doubtful

You let Peat walk unless you can't find a cheaper adequate replacement. This should be doable, but if you can't honestly say you've got an upgrade or at least a comparable LG/LT to take his place, you should really think this through.

Not sure on Coleman's dead cap. I think our "out" is next year. We might be stuck with him for another season. Not terrible by any means, just not really worth the $.

No thanks to Kyler Murray. Don't need a QB with a small CB body. I don't think he'll be able to sustain a pro career due to his size. He's very short and very thin. I stood next to a pro DT yesterday at the ball park and I'm bigger than Murray. No way I could handle several guys that size landing on me for 16 games a year. Super talent, but no. I can't get behind this nor his decision to play football instead of baseball. But it's his life.

I'm pretty sure we don't have to pick up Rankins option until next year.

Interesting ideas:

* Re-sign Peat

LINK

Thoughts?

Release Coleman, keep Meredith, who will be fine.

Keep Ingram unless he goes full Laveon on us.

Re-sign Peat

Build the defense. To not get better is to get worse.

No on Murray

Is Murray better than Bridgewater? I would much rather keep Teddy and pass on Murray. Just because a couple of shorter guys, Drew and Russel Wilson, don't mean Murray will be good.

While I'm a bit more intrigued by k Murray. Just will not work for us with draft capital. Murray's a lot more solid built.

Ingram, think we need to. Or find someone for that better than was able to dig up first four weeks last season.

Peat,. Crazy if don't resign him. We need to keep him plus sign another better option for tackle/guard backup. Unless that text we drafted and convert to tackle has improved game a lot.

Interesting ideas:

* Re-sign Peat

LINK

Thoughts?

For the life of me I do not understand the hype with Murray. Guys like 5’5 with a good arm but not a rocket arm. He pretty fast but so was Robe’rt Griffin and Lamar Jackson. He won’t run like that long in the pros. Watched him struggle in the SEC as young player, transfer to Oklahoma when he wasn’t starting, and then light it up against garbage defenses in the Big 12. What makes him the best QB on the board ? Why should we give up a Kings ransom for him?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom