Bart Scott: "This game will be different because Buccaneers have figured out which personnel groupings work" (1 Viewer)

Madmarsha

Feral housewife
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He said this this morning on Get Up. I made a new thread because I really wanted to hear from you who are so good with the X's and O's on this exact point. My take is that's just a different way to say, This Buccaneers team is really gelling the last 5 games. But I'm hoping some of you have more concrete thoughts than my fan girl reacts!

Here's what he said paraphrased. He said they call it "tiger personnel". Says it limits your blitz packages and your ability to get to the passer because you have 7 in protection or maybe 8. They don't have to worry about releasing 3, 4, 5 receivers into the route. They have good enough receivers that if you give them enough time and Tom can burp the baby a little bit, you can make plays down the field. And I think that's what they really settled on, the fact that Tom Brady leads the NFL in TDs or is second in the NFL in touchdowns to tight ends. Those are like mix match problems because Gronk is like having another tackle out there, the fact that he can stay in and help and make himself available for Brady if he gets in trouble. So if they run the ball, if they keep the 2 tight ends out there, it allows those other receivers to work. So I think they've settled on that, no risk it no biscuit, forget all that. Make sure that you're making sure that you protect your biscuits because D bow can come and take them from you.

They threw up a stat that said Brady threw 12 Pass TD this season using 12 personnel (t-most in NFL).

Last edited:
I guess he's alluding to their max protect blocking scheme on O and maybe their cover 2 man D? Drew is going to eat up that cover 2 man b/c their LB's can't cover the middle of the field. DA may use more 5 man blitzes to counter their extra blockers. We still win this game, and I do not think it will be a going down to the wire kind of win.

No one is really talking about how Gronk never touched the ball against Washington and was used primarily as a blocker. He shut down Chase Young all game, and gave Brady a relatively clean pocket. I could be very wrong about this, but they could be testing the waters to protect Brady from guys like Trey Hendrickson. With Gronk blocking, this allowed their slightly younger TE (Cameron Brate) to average 20 yds a catch. The Saints have sacked Brady 6 times in the last two games (3 per game) so you can bet they are trying to remedy that issue, somehow.

In a theoretical context, I do think a 2TE set (12 personnel mainly) can be a great personnel grouping, with the right players. You create 8 gaps for the D front to defend, but still have 4-5 capable receivers, from which you can choose the right 3 to attack the defense with on any play.

All that said, every offense is unbeatable on the whiteboard when it's drawn up. But then when you give the pen to the D coach, they will quickly show you exactly how to limit/stymie it. Then the O coach grabs the pen back and starts scribbling... The saying goes that the last coach to hold the pen wins 😎

No one is really talking about how Gronk never touched the ball against Washington and was used primarily as a blocker. He shut down Chase Young all game, and gave Brady a relatively clean pocket. I could be very wrong about this, but they could be testing the waters to protect Brady from guys like Trey Hendrickson. With Gronk blocking, this allowed their slightly younger TE (Cameron Brate) to average 20 yds a catch. The Saints have sacked Brady 6 times in the last two games (3 per game) so you can bet they are trying to remedy that issue, somehow.

Gronk's part of the new max protect package. He's been staying in like an extra tackle to block on pass plays, and Brate has become the receiving TE for Tompa. That's why I said Allen may try more 5 man blitzes in this game to counter the extra blockers. In the last game, we got great pressure throughout with only 4 down. May need to use an extra blitzer in a variety of blitzes so that Brady doesn't know where the extra pressure will be coming from.

I rewatched both games yesterday. The thing that scares me the most are the refs. We had a lot of non-calls go our way in those games. The refs went easy on us. I saw some hits on Brady and wr's that they normally call on us. Cam had a face mask on Brady that he got away with.. I fear that they will be different this game.

Another thing I didnt realize. We dominated that first game also not just the second one. It was 34-17 in the 4th. It also could of been 41-23 if kamara had gotten that td but was just a tad short.

We definitely were/are the better team but tbh, the first game could of been a lot closer had the ref been their normal selves against us.. The bucs just had bad things go there way and the refs were just letting players play on both sides.

Last edited:
Bucs last 5 games:

Lost to Chiefs - Chiefs defensive ranking: 16th
Beat Vikings - Vikings defensive ranking: 27th
Beat Falcons twice - Falcons defensive ranking : 29th
Beat Lions - Lions defensive ranking: 32nd

It's not hard to look like an offensive juggernaut playing those teams.

I think the max protection strategy works if they are able to run the ball effectively. Another analyst pointed out that Brady was doing much more playaction off of the running game. Thing is, the Saints can shut down the run effectively. Add to that tha Ronald Jones might not even play, and I don´t think that there max protect scheme can be effective.

He said this this morning on Get Up. I made a new thread because I really wanted to hear from you who are so good with the X's and O's on this exact point. My take is that's just a different way to say, This Buccaneers team is really gelling the last 5 games. But I'm hoping some of you have more concrete thoughts than my fan girl reacts!

Here's what he said paraphrased. He said they call it "tiger personnel". Says it limits your blitz packages and your ability to get to the passer because you have 7 in protection or maybe 8. They don't have to worry about releasing 3, 4, 5 receivers into the route. They have good enough receivers that if you give them enough time and Tom can burp the baby a little bit, you can make plays down the field. And I think that's what they really settled on, the fact that Tom Brady leads the NFL in TDs or is second in the NFL in touchdowns to tight ends. Those are like mix match problems because Gronk is like having another tackle out there, the fact that he can stay in and help and make himself available for Brady if he gets in trouble. So if they run the ball, if they keep the 2 tight ends out there, it allows those other receivers to work. So I think they've settled on that, no risk it no biscuit, forget all that. Make sure that you're making sure that you protect your biscuits because D bow can come and take them from you.

They threw up a stat that said Brady threw 12 Pass TD this season using 12 personnel (t-most in NFL).

This has been touched on before. Brady has been dealing because they’ve been keeping Gronkowski and a RB in to block a lot and just letting AB, Godwin and Evans win against coverage. And they’ve been winning. We won’t get nearly as much pressure as last game. And the refs will bail out Evans, AB and Godwin especially if we play tight coverage.

Game is going to be a nightmare.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom