Bart Scott: "This game will be different because Buccaneers have figured out which personnel groupings work" (1 Viewer)

This has been touched on before. Brady has been dealing because they’ve been keeping Gronkowski and a RB in to block a lot and just letting AB, Godwin and Evans win against coverage. And they’ve been winning. We won’t get nearly as much pressure as last game. And the refs will bail out Evans, AB and Godwin especially if we play tight coverage.

Game is going to be a nightmare.

This is what will work for them... 6-7 players to protect Brady and then release their stable of elite receivers along with Miller or Brate to get chunk yardage... All Brady needs is an extra 0.3 - 0.5 secs

In a max-protect posture they will be sending fewer skill players out on routes to move the chains. Our D-Line has been really good this year, especially against TB.

Max-protect sounds like max-failure against this defensive unit.
Peyton Manning used to make plenty of hay running play action to just one or two receivers out on deep routes behind 8 man schemes.

There's no single scheme to beat all other schemes, otherwise everyone would already be running it.

No one is really talking about how Gronk never touched the ball against Washington and was used primarily as a blocker. He shut down Chase Young all game, and gave Brady a relatively clean pocket. I could be very wrong about this, but they could be testing the waters to protect Brady from guys like Trey Hendrickson. With Gronk blocking, this allowed their slightly younger TE (Cameron Brate) to average 20 yds a catch. The Saints have sacked Brady 6 times in the last two games (3 per game) so you can bet they are trying to remedy that issue, somehow.

Chase young is good but he’s still a rookie. He doesn’t have all the tools in his toolbox yet sort of speak. I’ll take cam, Davenport , and trex all day over him

Gronk being a 6th olinemen helps a lot, 2nd te also chipping.. rb another chip.
Shoot, Gronk could have easily played tackle in the nfl instead of tight end. He's a great blocker.

I think our linebackers will spend a lot of time green dogging the te's & rb's to minimize the double teams on the offensive line. At the end of the day we're going to have to get after brady, no matter how much max protect they use.

I think the max protection strategy works if they are able to run the ball effectively. Another analyst pointed out that Brady was doing much more playaction off of the running game. Thing is, the Saints can shut down the run effectively. Add to that tha Ronald Jones might not even play, and I don´t think that there max protect scheme can be effective.
I would feel a lot better if RoJo doesn’t play. We could stop LF no problem.

Peyton Manning used to make plenty of hay running play action to just one or two receivers out on deep routes behind 8 man schemes.

There's no single scheme to beat all other schemes, otherwise everyone would already be running it.

So true. But this Saints team is great at post-halftime in-game adjustments. As others have said, this might very well come down to coaching in order to counter what they have decided to run with as far as schemes go.

Last edited:
No one is really talking about how Gronk never touched the ball against Washington and was used primarily as a blocker. He shut down Chase Young all game, and gave Brady a relatively clean pocket. I could be very wrong about this, but they could be testing the waters to protect Brady from guys like Trey Hendrickson. With Gronk blocking, this allowed their slightly younger TE (Cameron Brate) to average 20 yds a catch. The Saints have sacked Brady 6 times in the last two games (3 per game) so you can bet they are trying to remedy that issue, somehow.

Put a guy on Gronk. Wear him out. He stays in to block, run him over. Wear him out. Give him the NASCAR treatment. Put a guy on him all game, pure Bull Rush every play. He won't stand up to that. He will wear out. One on one with Cam Jordan, I'm taking Cam.

Max protect works against lesser defenses but Saint D is pretty deep and talented. Taking a threat like Gronk out so he can focus on blocking is what Saints want.

Heres a fun factoid, in crappy weather Brees completed passes to 9 different targets in the first quarter in the week 9 contest. Im willing to bet Saints are going to use the spread the ball approach against the Bucs again

Tampa is a lot like the Chiefs in that they simply don't commit to the run. We dared the Chiefs to run by leaving one LB in to defend it. They still didn't. That being said they have Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce so it didnt matter. And still it took Mahomes improv to make it work.

TB doesn't have that luxury. The reason we keep getting them is because we force Tom to play with the Mahomes improv and he is just too old to do it.

If they want to win, they are going to have to do it like the Raiders and Packers did by beating us up on the ground and then taking the easy stuff on the run fake. But, Arians doesn't ever do that and Tom wants stats.

He said this this morning on Get Up. I made a new thread because I really wanted to hear from you who are so good with the X's and O's on this exact point. My take is that's just a different way to say, This Buccaneers team is really gelling the last 5 games. But I'm hoping some of you have more concrete thoughts than my fan girl reacts!

Here's what he said paraphrased. He said they call it "tiger personnel". Says it limits your blitz packages and your ability to get to the passer because you have 7 in protection or maybe 8. They don't have to worry about releasing 3, 4, 5 receivers into the route. They have good enough receivers that if you give them enough time and Tom can burp the baby a little bit, you can make plays down the field. And I think that's what they really settled on, the fact that Tom Brady leads the NFL in TDs or is second in the NFL in touchdowns to tight ends. Those are like mix match problems because Gronk is like having another tackle out there, the fact that he can stay in and help and make himself available for Brady if he gets in trouble. So if they run the ball, if they keep the 2 tight ends out there, it allows those other receivers to work. So I think they've settled on that, no risk it no biscuit, forget all that. Make sure that you're making sure that you protect your biscuits because D bow can come and take them from you.

They threw up a stat that said Brady threw 12 Pass TD this season using 12 personnel (t-most in NFL).

The Bucs apologist are scraping the bottom of the barrel... ok, let’s say he’s correct, Bucs mysteriously found a secret new personnel package and this package leads to improved offense. What does that mean? Does that mean they score 40 points on the Saints??? I don’t think so... Did they discover a new defensive package too???

but let’s talk reality. The Saints can match up with the Bucs weapons AND get pressure on Brady with front 4...

thats the primary match up issue that works in the Saints favor.

I think the Magic the Bucs found was playing the Falcons 2x, Detroit, Minnesota and Washington in the last 5 games... that’s horrible defense and 5.8 wins average per team. That’s a hell of an elixir.

Last edited:
This is what will work for them... 6-7 players to protect Brady and then release their stable of elite receivers along with Miller or Brate to get chunk yardage... All Brady needs is an extra 0.3 - 0.5 secs

bro... you realize the only “stable” left after your blocking scheme is 3??? And, are you guna line up Gronk behind the RT guard so when Onyemata destroys the back up right guard, he can help? Or are you guna line him up to help Jordan when Jordan destroys the rookie right tackle? Or, line him up on the left side when THex abuses Smith like he’s done in the previous 2 games...

I dont think the Saints are guna win by 20 but the Saints are the better team and they have specific matchup advantages that work in their favor. No new packages or beating Atlanta 2x, Vikings, Detroit and Wash is guna change that these teams are what they are and there is no magic.

it will be a hard fought game and the Saints should pull away in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom