Baseball Bugs (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As the United States emerged victorious from World War II and Major League Baseball returned to full strength, a sassy rabbit named Bugs seemed to capture the ingenuity and cockiness of a country on the rise when he single-handedly beat a team of oversized, cigar-smoking bullies.

In the process, he also gave baseball one of the most colorful phrases in sports: the Bugs Bunny change-up.
“Baseball Bugs” debuted in movie theaters 75 years ago this month.

The 1946 cartoon is so packed with funny gags, clever puns, imaginative imagery and lively music that it’s still recognized as one of the best produced by Looney Tunes.

Set at the Polo Grounds in New York, the cartoon also presaged a golden age of baseball in which the city’s three teams dominated the national pastime.
There are countless memorable scenes from “Baseball Bugs,” which the popular Twitter account Super 70s Sports last year called “the GOAT Looney Tunes cartoon,” to which Hall of Famer Mike Piazza replied, “Hall worthy?”

“It’s one of those cartoons that hits on all cylinders — great story, great comedy, great animation, great art, great art direction, great vocal performance by Bugs Bunny,” said Peter Browngardt, executive producer and director of “Looney Tunes Cartoons” on HBO Max and creator and voice of “Uncle Grandpa,” an animated TV show.

“Baseball Bugs,” directed by Friz Freleng, is not just a great title on its face; it’s also a pun from the period that few fans would get today. The term “baseball bugs” used to refer to baseball fanatics — partisans who were so into the sport that they had caught the baseball “bug,” or fever..............

10 free points to the fan who can identify the carefully placed Saki reference.

Set at the Polo Grounds in New York, the cartoon also presaged a golden age of baseball in which the city’s three teams dominated the national pastime.
There are countless memorable scenes from “Baseball Bugs,” which the popular Twitter account Super 70s Sports last year called “the GOAT Looney Tunes cartoon,” to which Hall of Famer Mike Piazza replied, “Hall worthy?”
I used to think the Polo Grounds was in Brooklyn till I realized I was confusing it with Ebbett's Field and learned it was in upper Manhattan. There is nothing left of the Polo Grounds except for, I think, a staircase or 2. It was seized by NYC under eminent domain and now has a housing complex on that property. Another thing I learned is that Yankee Stadium is across the river from where the Polo Grounds was in the Bronx.

Last edited:
I used to think the Polo Grounds was in Brooklyn till I realized I was confusing it with Ebbett's Field and learned it was in upper Manhattan. There is nothing left of the Polo Grounds except for, I think a staircase or 2. It was seized by NYC under eminent domain and now has a housing complex on that property. Another thing I learned is that Yankee Stadium is across the river from where the Polo Grounds was in the Bronx.
it's fun seeing games in Yankee stadium

This doesn't deserve its own thread and this is the most appropriate existing thread in which to put this play from this afternoon.

That was crazy lol

Poor bastage

This doesn't deserve its own thread and this is the most appropriate existing thread in which to put this play from this afternoon.

That's almost as funny as this one

It's even funnier because it happened to Canseco who is a world-class nincompoop, and the announcers were laughing at him :)

Last edited:
I guess all the previous replays I saw the tv was on mute bc I just heard that this play happened WITH TWO OUTS!!!???
I can’t remember a more boneheaded play (cansecos not withstanding- but only punnily)

He really had an infinite amount of ways to put him out and nullify the run but he managed to somehow miss them all. It's pretty impressive. Also Baez signaling safe at home and STILL being able to run back and get to first safely adds a whole other level on the hilarity of this.

Last edited:
He really had an infinite amount of ways to put him out and nullify the run but he managed to somehow miss them all. It's pretty impressive. Also Baez signaling safe at home and STILL being able to run back and get to first safely adds a whole other level on the hilarity of this.
I missed that when I first watched, so thanks for pointing it out :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom