Baseball in NOLA (1 Viewer)

Clintonrebel

Pro-Bowler
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Any inside talk on NOLA or Metairie getting minor league baseball back? Might be a while since they just reorganized but surely we could draw more fans than some of the tiny towns with teams.

Any inside talk on NOLA or Metairie getting minor league baseball back? Might be a while since they just reorganized but surely we could draw more fans than some of the tiny towns with teams.
about 2-3 weeks ago i scratched around to see if there was any word
nada
my guess is the '20 season set back will gum up the machine for a few seasons

Doubtful. The good thing about smaller markets (Tiny Towns) is the team typically is the only one in town. The shrine on airline was great but never ever packed. the Z's or baby cakes struggled to fill the seats.

Doubtful. The good thing about smaller markets (Tiny Towns) is the team typically is the only one in town. The shrine on airline was great but never ever packed. the Z's or baby cakes struggled to fill the seats.
And what minor league team does fill the seats ?

Also, the rugby team has taken over the offices. I don't know what their lease says, but they would have to kick them out.

Just a tough sell...

Go sit in a stadium w little to no breeze in a NOLA summer, after paying for tickets, parking, overpriced concessions and such, just to watch AA prospects? Maybe if there were enough little-league teams doing team fundraisers, it could be viable, but baseball would be a struggle.

There are enough quality high school and collegiate options available to garner the local baseball/softball entertainment dollar. And then there is the whole club/travel team player expenses and time commitments that make it difficult to attend games.

I’d love to see it work, but I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Just a tough sell...

Go sit in a stadium w little to no breeze in a NOLA summer, after paying for tickets, parking, overpriced concessions and such, just to watch AA prospects? Maybe if there were enough little-league teams doing team fundraisers, it could be viable, but baseball would be a struggle.

There are enough quality high school and collegiate options available to garner the local baseball/softball entertainment dollar. And then there is the whole club/travel team player expenses and time commitments that make it difficult to attend games.

In their defense, tickets were like $8 and beers were cheaper than the dome. Yeah, the weather sucked, but it was pretty fun.

Still, you raise a valid point. I only went a handful of times in their last 5 years.

Just a tough sell...

We would always go when they had Bark in the Park
At most one other time a season

Always figured you were nothing but a dirty dog...

Both of my daughters were softball players, my son was a baseball player until he transitioned to hockey when I moved to Texas.

I attended many Zephyr’s games before they shifted to the Baby Cakes. Not because I was researching prospects or anything, it was just something to do. I had moved away before the whole Baby Cakes thing. Game day experience didn’t necessarily appeal to me, but I wasn’t their target market. I was just the guy paying for all the stuff the kids wanted.

Again, I would love to see it return to support the local economy, but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Whoever brings in the next Minor League team should take a page from the Shuckers. Beau Rivage comps tickets/suites all the time so the always appear to be filled seats. They should try to get a Harrah's ownership/partnership.

Just a tough sell...

Maybe they could play in the Superdome?

And what minor league team does fill the seats ?
Pensacola and Birmingham regularly draw huge crowds. Everybody else in the (what used to be) Southern League struggles to draw 2,000 per game on a regular basis.

Memphis Redbirds are AAA in an equally steamy city and they regularly outdrew the Baby Cakes by several thousand. But there isn’t much else to do in Memphis comparatively.

Whoever brings in the next Minor League team should take a page from the Shuckers. Beau Rivage comps tickets/suites all the time so the always appear to be filled seats. They should try to get a Harrah's ownership/partnership.
Read em and weep. Biloxi is a fun venue but rarely draws over 2,000. Biloxi and Jackson were in the same attendance range as New Orleans. Sad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom