Basketball Help (1 Viewer)

Super Dad

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok guys this is my first trip to this forum so take it easy on me but I have some very basic question for you all. Can someone please tell me the different positions and what they are supposed to be doing on the court. I have been a loyal Saints fan forever and I am attempting to show some loyalty to the Hornets but I can seem to get into the games because I have no clue what the announcers are talking about???

From Wiki with me adding a little to their definition:

1. point guard: usually the fastest player on the team, organizes the team's offense by controlling the ball and making sure that it gets to the right player at the right time. "Kind of like the QB" this is Chris Paul for the Hornets.
  2. shooting guard: creates a high volume of shots on offense; guards the opponent's best perimeter player on defense Morris Peterson
  3. small forward: often primarily responsible for scoring points via cuts to the basket and dribble penetration; on defense seeks rebounds and steals, but sometimes plays more actively Peja Stojakovic
  4. power forward: plays offensively often with his back to the basket; on defense, plays under the basket (in a zone defense) or against the opposing power forward (in man-to-man defense) David West
  5. center: uses size to score (on offense), to protect the basket closely (on defense), or to rebound Tyson Chandler
Also the numbers that are next to the position names are sometimes used to describe the positions. In other word a PG can be called a 1 and a power forward will be described as a 4.

From Wiki with me adding a little to their definition:

1. point guard: usually the fastest player on the team, organizes the team's offense by controlling the ball and making sure that it gets to the right player at the right time. "Kind of like the QB" this is Chris Paul for the Hornets.
  2. shooting guard: creates a high volume of shots on offense; guards the opponent's best perimeter player on defense Morris Peterson
  3. small forward: often primarily responsible for scoring points via cuts to the basket and dribble penetration; on defense seeks rebounds and steals, but sometimes plays more actively Peja Stojakovic
  4. power forward: plays offensively often with his back to the basket; on defense, plays under the basket (in a zone defense) or against the opposing power forward (in man-to-man defense) David West
  5. center: uses size to score (on offense), to protect the basket closely (on defense), or to rebound Tyson Chandler
Also the numbers that are next to the position names are sometimes used to describe the positions. In other word a PG can be called a 1 and a power forward will be described as a 4.

Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom