Baton Rouge high-school student presumed lost after jumping from cruise boat in Bahamas on a dare (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Coast Guard has called off the search.

This has to be one of those situations where the 18 year old brain isn’t fully capable of appreciating risk . . . especially when intoxicated. Sad, senseless story.

so tragic. at a loss for words. We have all been 18. I can still remember just how invincible i thought i was.

It wasnt invincibility- it was pure dumb luck.

True that. Sometimes it keeps me up at night thinking about what dumb luck it was.

Seems like the vessel’s man overboard procedure left much to be desired - hard to tell with the video though.

I wasn't dumb enough at 18 to do that sheet.. terrible though.

I wonder about this. I see these posts like "We all thought we were invincible at 18." No *we* all did not. I cannot relate. I never thought I was invincible. I always knew dumb, risky sheet could and often would have potentially horrific consequences.

I'm going to assume this poor idiot kid was wasted which obviously plays a factor. But to the idea that we were all just a bunch of dumbarses who were playing real like "Jackass" and survived horrible decision making by shear luck...nah. I think a lot of that is actually some form of self-aggrandizing. Making your youth seem wilder and crazier than it actually was.

The vast majority of 18 year olds make it to adulthood just fine. That's not luck or chance.

I was an 18 year old male with 18 year old male friends. The decision making wasn't always pristine, but I can recall no instances where death or even hospitalization was an imminent consequence of whatever was going on at any given time.

Last edited:
I wonder about this. I see these posts like "We all thought we were invincible at 18." No *we* all did not. I cannot relate. I never thought I was invincible. I always knew dumb, risky sheet could and often would have potentially horrific consequences.

I'm going to assume this poor idiot kid was wasted which obviously plays a factor. But to the idea that we were all just a bunch of dumbarses who were playing real like "Jackass" and survived horrible decision making by shear luck...nah. I think a lot of that is actually some form of self-aggrandizing. Making your youth seem wilder and crazier than it actually was.

The vast majority of 18 year olds make it to adulthood just fine.

I was an 18 year old male with 18 year old male friends. The decision making wasn't always pristine, but I can recall no instances where death or even hospitalization was an imminent consequence of whatever was going on at any given time.
Yeah I've never been a big risk taker in general. Always worried with the consequences.

Walking around drunk and alone in New Orleans at 21 and not knowing my way around was probably dumb and sheet like that.. but never considered anything remotely like what this kid did.

peers + cameras + alcohol =

2023-05-30 09.56.10.png

sad, his whole life in front of him

Reminds me of the stories about drunken frat boys jumping from the ferry into the Ms. river.

Yeah I've never been a big risk taker in general. Always worried with the consequences.

Walking around drunk and alone in New Orleans at 21 and not knowing my way around was probably dumb and sheet like that.. but never considered anything remotely like what this kid did.

Walking around drunk and alone as a kid in the city? See, no shortage of dumb decisions were made. Luckily you were fine, but some poor kid did the same thing and didn't make it. Just as many cruise ship jumpers are rescued, some aren't as lucky.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom