Battle of the Neutral Ground (1 Viewer)

Here we go. 2013 edition.

Wrong. Your ice chest or the time you arrived does not make the neutral ground your personal property. There are too many people to claim an area or a spot in the front. If you want to tailgate, go to tiger stadium. If you want to be in the front with your 3 year old, go stand in the front. But don't be upset that there are people around you. It's Mardi Gras.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I never said I didn't want people around me.

If I am standing in line to buy a hot dog, do you have the right to come get in front of me? It's public property!

Same concept. You should have the decency to recognize your surroundings.

If I am standing in line to buy a hot dog, do you have the right to come get in front of me? It's public property!

That's completely different. With tens of thousands of people around you, how can you possibly presume to hold your spot on the route? It is self centered and not in keeping with the nature of the event.

when the volume of people reaches a certain number, you can't control it - decency or not. If you don't believe it, go try to stake you out a patch on Bourbon Street tonight. Give it up, go with the flow and enjoy yourself instead of trying to be in possession of ground. You will be happier I promise.

It isn't your space so no one needs to respect it.

It's not yours either. And if my two feet are on a certain portion of ground, you're a Richard if you come uproot me from that spot. If I shift over to scoop up a doubloon for half a second, I should be able to reasonably expect to shift back without seeing antipop moving his cooler in.

Right?

Cuz if you say not right, then you're the problem. You are the reason these jerks are blockading off acres of real estate. It's your fault because you don't have respect for generally accepted human practices.

It is illegal. There is a city ordinance against the roping and blocking of city property unless you got a permit from city. NOPD just don't enforce it. I know at JazzFest they cracked down on that stupidity. Also do you bring your sofa and ice chest with you when you are standing in the hot dog line?

It's not yours either. And if my two feet are on a certain portion of ground, you're a Richard if you come uproot me from that spot. If I shift over to scoop up a doubloon for half a second, I should be able to reasonably expect to shift back without seeing antipop moving his cooler in.

Right?

Cuz if you say not right, then you're the problem. You are the reason these jerks are blockading off acres of real estate. It's your fault because you don't have respect for generally accepted human practices.

i hate to nitpick but you really have no argument

when was the last time you actually went to a parade that was south of W Esplanade??

i hate to nitpick but you really have no argument

when was the last time you actually went to a parade that was south of W Esplanade??

Me being a hermit has nothing to do with it.

And I'm not really arguing anyway; I hate all the stupid barricading people. It's a terrible newish phenomenon that I don't like to see. All I'm doing here is noting that there are jerks on the other side of this barricade issue as well.

People are just terrible.

This is for anyone that had an obstructed view or a bad time due to obnoxious citizens of tenth city:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OBEIeNIzkOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I honestly do not know the rules governing ladders on parades routes. But they should never be allowed near the front of where spectators line up. And the roping off of neutral ground areas is absurd.

I'd really, honestly, like to hear their take on the matter. Because once you're out at a parade, it isn't like rational conversation will prevail.

The reason I get out to Orleans early and claim a spot is because, just like everyone complaining in this thread, I don't want to be stuck behind a wall of ladders. Plus hanging out drinking beer, eating Popeyes, and listening to music all day is just plain fun. We don't set up any ladders in our space so everyone with us gets to see the parade.

There are like 100,000 people on Orleans for Endymion. If you wanna get a prime spot then you gotta get out early. To me, showing up 30 mins before the parade and thinking you are entitled to a spot on the barricade is far more absurd than people thinking they 'own' the neutral ground.

we've all been to parades, no matter how many times you've been, people will come last minute and stand in front of you. its gonna happen, get over it, have fun, its FREAKIN plastic beads and 50&#162; stuffed animals.
The one thing that drives me crazy is the adults who go to parades without children and knock little kids down and take beads from them. really.. did you really take that toy from a 5 year old? what a loser..

I've been to many parades in my time, and I'm always there early, set up my spot, and don't really care if someone stands in front of me.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using Tapatalk 2
Who Dat!

Join me in a thought experiment, if you will.

Let's say Parade X starts at 7:00. It's just a regular parade, so the crowd is reasonable. You have some friends coming to your house, which is near the parade route. They are bringing their kids to watch the parade with your kids. So you get out there at 6:00 just to hang out, and you've got a good spot right in front.

The parade starts rolling, you watch those stupid shriners pass by throwing bubble gum from 1975 that's hard as a pebble. Right before the first float is about to pass, a bunch of people from Kenner come stand right in front of you. Even though you are in the "front row", these loud, obnoxious Kennarians wedge themselves in front of you and force you back.

How do you react emotionally to such manouvering? Is that the spirit of Mardi Gras?

I don't support this walling off. I hate it. It's stupid, dangerous, and selfish. But it's a reaction, imo, to people who don't respect other people's space. While totally over the top and obnoxious, there is a kernel of justification in there somewhere I think.

The only way to solve this problem is to eliminate people from Kenner, but that's not popular politically for some reason.

Sometimes I miss my goose. :plus-un2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom